Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-16-2014, 01:25 AM   #21
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

^^^ I agree, I was feeling sorta the same thing.

I thought it was an excellent episode, which is good cause the first two were pretty slow. So much foreshadowing and symbolism in this episode too if you pay attention.

Fricken priests...
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:37 AM   #22
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best episode yet. This one grabbed my attention and really built the character for me. The Walking Dead Governor episode was also one of the best episodes from that series. Less is more. Humans are not back and white and their stories shouldn't be either.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:37 AM   #23
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I thought the episode was very well done, but man that was tough to watch. Felt like one unending gut punch.

I have enjoyed the so far, but it is way too bleak. They really need to add some levity or even some hope into this show. It has just been brutal so far.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #24
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

First episode was a pile of ####. Really slow, drawn out and not much got done.

I convinced the GF to watch the 2nd episode with me, so hopefully that is better, because she thought it was one of the most excruciating hours of TV I have ever made her watch.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #25
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

The third hooked me (for the foreseeable future). You guys should give it till the third to make a decision.

To be honest, the second was a lot like the first.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:45 PM   #26
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I really enjoyed this last episode and absolutely love the series overall. I wouldn't mind at all if they continued to center an entire episode on one character, especially if it was the women who's whole family disappeared. The show has such great writing and the acting is so well done, in the scene when he told his sister about her husband, how he did it I thought was simultaneously hilarious and brutally despicable. Some friends have also told me that the show is just too depressing for them and I suppose the tone is bleak but centered around that type of unexplainable world event, I feel its perfect and so very interesting that I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next, I love this show.
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:19 AM   #27
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

The third episode really got me into the show, first 2 were really pretty meh but I will definitely be following this show with great interest now.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #28
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Tough episode to watch. The intro was one of the most brutal things I have seen on TV.

Still feel the show is losing its focus somewhat.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:47 AM   #29
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

That opening scene was really hard to watch. I flinched more than once. My wife hid her eyes. I was not expecting that, even for an HBO show.

Also, I'm not saying I need everything wrapped up in a nice neat bow but I feel like the show is happy to give us great individual episodes and not anything that reveals the bigger picture. I want answers!
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:32 PM   #30
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's with the white garb and the smoking?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #31
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a lot of explanation in the show. It just wants you to go for the ride.

Spoiler!
Old 07-29-2014, 01:30 AM   #32
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Yeah that was a rough scene to watch. Even though I'm really beginning to hate the cult (they really are quite cruel to people who just have different ways of moving on) you never wanna see anyone get attacked like that. Stoning has gotta be one of the worst ways to go.

Had a thought about the cult today. Perhaps part of the reason they do a lot of observing people (part of it is a recruitment technique, but it doesn't always seem to be about that) is because they think another 'disappearing' might happen. This way they could observe it more, see if there is something to it, a hint of it's origins. As well, if there is another 'disappearing' and it's much smaller, they could bear witness to who is missing. IE, where'd John go? Did he run off, committ suicide? Oh, there was another event?

People wearing all the same thing or color is a common idea for cults. Moreso in TV and film I think, but it happens. As for the smoking, I don't know, but it is definitely part of their 'getup'. They have signs about it being part of their 'faith' in their compound.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #33
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm about ready to give up on this show. Just random crap happening to people that I have zero emotional investment in. What are we about 5 episodes in and there is no real explanation of the weird dude that "takes peoples hurt away", no explanation of the crazy non-talking chain-smoking white-wearing weirdos, no real background on any of the characters to make you give two craps if they die or not. I had hopes for this show but it really does seem like each episode is written by someone different who wasn't given any of the backstory at all. The preacher episode where he lost his church because he's a moron was so predictable it was painful. I was hoping the crazy gun lady would get shot by the hooker in the head, and considering how much her hand was apparently shaking, it is a minor miracle she wasn't. I keep hoping the random pack of dogs that is apparently roaming the woods takes down all the weird white cult people.

There just isn't... anything... really likable about this show. I gave it a go for this long hoping that maybe, this would be the week something would make some sense but... meh. Nothing. She didn't buy cereal and is finally, after however many years, moving on. Who cares?
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to old-fart For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #34
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Well, the whole story last night was a background story, just on a different character than the ones you named. We may yet get a background story on 'Super Hugger', and a back ground story on the Guilty Remnant (white wearing, smoking cult).

I thought this weeks episode was great, much like the episode framed around the priest, who is of course this woman's brother. I really enjoyed it.

I can however understand why people could get bored or frustrated with this show. It is glacial slow. It also doesn't have a lot of pay off in terms of big, exciting, or even fun/funny scenes. The one thing I do find is it's quite depressing most times. It could benefit from a few laughs because it's constantly depressing, the whole show definitely has a very down/depressing feel. Some of that is the subject material, some of that is the pace, I'm sure some of the mood is manipulated on purpose through lighting, camera shots, editing etc. Which is what you want generally, most shows don't pay enough attention to mood. Just that in this show, it's one kick in the stomach after another. A few laughs to balance things out, or to even give the next kick more emotional punch would help. I totally get what O-F is saying. I would frame it slightly different in that, there is so much tragedy, it makes it hard to care about any of it.

I read a book like that once (not like the premise of the show, just that it was constantly tragic), and I couldn't care for the characters cause it felt like the author was just piling misery upon misery on the characters to make them sympathetic. Well, that's more of a lazy trick than good writing or character building, and can blow up in your face if you use it too much. Eventually you hate the characters for being too wussy, or not giving you anything worthwhile to read about. So I totally get why people would feel that way.

All that said though, I'm not at that point yet. I actually find some of the characters pretty interesting. The priest and his sister most of all. The lead, the cop is decent, and some of the bit players are pretty good. It's hard to find the GR interesting as the never say anything. Kinda more of a plot device than a good character. Anyway, for me, at least right now, the acting still pulls me in, the characters seem to be pretty fleshed out in a lot of cases, IE how people might be behaving in a world like that, and the overall story arc still intrigues me.

Last edited by Daradon; 08-05-2014 at 11:37 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2014, 02:53 PM   #35
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm really not sure why i resonant with this show so closely but along with the opening credits of each episode, i immediately associate with the world and can't help but imagine what it might feel like if my family just vanished without any explanation and how heartbreaking that would be. I love the slow burn reveal and i take the telling of each episode as to what we're suppose to learn while the rest is left up to my own interpretation, i value the fact the show isn't spoon feeding me all of the answers right away.

For instances my view on the stoning death of the GR women is it was suppose to be absolutely horrific so we the audience wouldn't be allowed to find any enjoyment out of the act (vis-a-vis the purple wedding) since the Guilty Remnant have been so appalling up until then and again soon after. They are a group that we don't know much about but I'm interested to find out more while at the same time enjoy speculating what their motives might be. I cant remember being so resentful at make-believed characters after they broke into some of the houses in town to steal pictures of loved ones who had departed, I couldn't help but think what that would feel like if all you had to remember them by was a photo only to have that then be taken from you as well.

This last episode was my new favorite, showing her buying the exact same groceries in case her family came back and then showing how the character was struggling with notion of having to go to this conference to talk about her experience although then when she wasn't given the proper lanyard, she showed that she actually wants to be known for her tragedy but then goes to that party and to hear what people think, it was all very compelling story telling for me. Then to end with the mysterious man who hugs peoples pain away, I was extremely intrigued to see how that plays out. The man who goes out shooting the dog packs, the police chiefs daughter who gave her mom the lighter and burst out crying when he came to the school, the fact that the Government is so quick to send a kill squad to any of these cults and actually burns the corpses involved in a hate crime against them to me all very powerful scenes that invoke my emotions which makes for enjoyable television in my opinion. I really enjoy this show and look forward to watching the rest of the season and hope it gets picked up for a second.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #36
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't need to be spoon fed, per se...but there's an awful lot of weirdness on this show.

- The magical hugger cult. And how the police chief's son ended up with them.
- The Guilty Remnant cult.
- Dean shooting dogs left and right (at least we know he's real now, it seemed to be open to interpretation for a while).
- The police chief's descent or not into crazytown (the bagel toaster, his blackout dreams where he loses sense of time, I'm not sure that the conversation with the federal agency about vans of operatives to wipe out his GR faction was real).
- The police chief's father's descent into crazytown (he seems lucid when we meet him, but then he talks to invisible people when his son visits, *but* suggests that the invisible figures are sending him Dean).
- The police chief's daughter's descent into crazytown.

It's been more interesting and compelling than not, so far. But not by a wide margin.

The focused episodes on single characters have been the best so far.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 08-10-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #37
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

i am still watching but not necessarily sold on the show. we are over halfway through this short first season and they really haven't made much progress in explaining these various groups. i still really enjoy the sheriff guy and his struggles as a character, but haven't latched on to many other characters.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #38
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
i am still watching but not necessarily sold on the show. we are over halfway through this short first season and they really haven't made much progress in explaining these various groups. i still really enjoy the sheriff guy and his struggles as a character, but haven't latched on to many other characters.
It's just incredibly hard to watch emotionally. I don't rush to view it at all and it's not because it's poor quality. It's done very well.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #39
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The latest episode gave me the sense of momentum and some plot lines coming together. I'm interested enough to see how this season ends, at least.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #40
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Each new episode becomes my then favorite of the season and ive already watched last nights episode twice. In the episode, I felt the writers really awarded the viewers who had trusted the show by providing us with the most answers yet and letting us in on a lot of character motivation, especially with the GR. Speaking of which, I am yet I'm not looking forward to see what they have in store for the towns people on Memorial Day but im pretty sure its going to be a heinous and deplorable act of terrorism against people who had a loved one vanish.