Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-29-2017, 05:15 PM   #81
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This is a flat and oversimplified interpretation of what I was talking about. I don't know if I would characterize demographics, social and cultural circumstances, gender, etc. as factors of mere "luck."

Original poster made a basic claim: "If you work hard, anything is possible". Your went out of your way to rebut this statement with a simple "No that's not true", which seems rather defeatist to me. Of course circumstances matter but why take exception to someone who believes in optimism and self determination?

I stand by my comment that most "successful" people subscribe to a philosophy closer to that of the original poster.

My "luck" comment referred specifically to winning hockey games.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:23 PM   #82
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Original poster made a basic claim: "If you work hard, anything is possible". Your went out of your way to rebut this statement with a simple "No that's not true", which seems rather defeatist to me. Of course circumstances matter but why take exception to someone who believes in optimism and self determination?

I stand by my comment that most "successful" people subscribe to a philosophy closer to that of the original poster.

Textcritic's comment wasn't defeatist because he wasn't referring to himself. You don't know what he does or how he got there. He was referring to society in general, and he's completely correct.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2017, 07:11 PM   #83
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post

In Canada, I would agree with you. I've seen people making 100K+ jobs in Fort McMurray with a borderline clinically diseased IQ. We're talking people who not only work the absolute minimum required of them to keep their job, but they're always broke because they're making some drug dealer and Polaris/Cabelas location rich. When the cigarette industry, which produces life-killing product, is a 90 billion dollar industry, you know people got money to spend on #### they don't need.

Now, if you're born in Zimbabwe or Bangladesh (or 75% of the planet for the matter), then I would agree with Textcritic that it's more external factors that dictate your outcome in life.

This is not new though. I remember in my first year psych classes how internal and external locus are based on socio-economic conditions.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:39 PM   #84
hariton
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
He's probably not going to get a long term deal and will be floating around on 1 year deals until he hangs them up. Makes sense to give his family a stable place to live in the meantime.
A 4,5 mil stable
hariton is offline   Reply With Quote