Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2017, 02:09 PM   #61
devel
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Sorry for your losses Stay Golden. What an incredibly rough week for you and your whole family. I just can't imagine so much in such a short time.

My husband and I also have a child with Type 1 diabetes. It's hard, and there is never time off from the disease but it is manageable. ACH is an amazing resource. My son was diagnosed 3 years ago when he was 6 and is back to thriving and doing the things boys do. Eventually you will get better at managing your child's dosages than the doctors.

Don't let the disease ever hold her back; there are many successful people living with this disease. In hockey Max Domi is a type 1. Our very own George Canyon also has Type 1 diabetes and is hosting a dinner charity event for JDRF (juvenile diabetes research foundation) this month.

You can do this. Feel free to PM me if you or your wife ever have questions and I'd be more than happy to share any knowledge I have.
devel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to devel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 02:21 PM   #62
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Many sincere thoughts and prayers to you and your family. Hoping you all 'Stay Golden' during this time.
jaikorven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #63
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

My kid is a patient at the ACH as well, currently visiting once per week with a serious but manageable condition (his blood doesn't clot properly). Nothing but great things to say about the ACH. We also have other family members who are quite ill, so at the very least, it is comforting to know that your child is in great hands as you learn more about managing their condition so you can focus on the other things.

An iPad with cartoons is an excellent way to distract them as you prepare to give your kid a needle
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:35 PM   #64
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still don't have my Thanks option back lol
YYC solo...

I can totally relate with your story. At diagnosis Keytoses and BS reading of 26 that went to 31.

All the symptoms u described exactly the same but really what moved me was how planning for a Flames game was a lot of preparation as we recently attended our first game back as a treat to her and it was pretty stressful at first but now I have taken her to two more since and it was a much more at ease getting all the carbs right.
What seemingly at the time was a baby step was actually a huge step forward.

FlatlandFlamesFan...

As my words inspired you to share you inspired me equally that you shared. You are a brave parent and do not ever stop talking. I am so happy for your sons healrhy outlook. Unfortunately I can relate to that somewhat as our daughter a few months back we discovered through her guidance counceller that due to mental bullying at school she was saying some very dark things about herself on social media etc that was brought to our attention. Fortunately she reached out to her school counceller and we were notified.
As a parent I was gutted and angry 13 yr old kids should never have to feel that way.

In FEB we went Mexico for two reasons a vacation and to show her life is beautiful. And we enjoyed ourselves thoroughly.
The very strange piece of irony is that now that she has JD1 shortly after we got back after she is doing everything everyday because of JD1 to live now. The resilentcy has been inspirational.

Puppet Guy... that is awesome using it as my lock screen now! Thanks.

I feel so blessed to read that so many of u are sharing so many different challenges, some we have beaten and others that are fighting and the losses of loved ones.

This has taken on a life of its own that I didn't expect but man it is a beautiful thing to watch unfold.
I joined CP many years ago and it was the diversity that drew me to it. Well that and Sureloss being a Flames news breaking machine lol.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:42 PM   #65
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oops this is not the game thread you r looking for.

Last edited by Stay Golden; 04-06-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Stay Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:15 PM   #66
Flamefan1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Thank you for sharing your family's real life experience. Your daughter will be fine and will live a very normal life. She will learn to give herself the needles and it will just be part of life. I have a good friend whose niece also has Type 1 diabetes and lives a very normal and active life. I believe she is still active in hockey and lives in North Battleford. I am a grandfather, but our 2 year old grandson had to go to the Children's Hospital a couple of weeks ago and yes they are wonderful. Sometimes most of us get consumed with stuff in life that is really not important in the whole scheme of life. Your family story brings us back to reality and allows us to realize what truly is important. Thank you
Flamefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ach , challenges , playoffs. , rip beccy pearl , tragedy