Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #1221
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

I was looking at this package. https://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-sb4551-d5/review/ Yes, it's a soundbar, but my other Vizio soundbar (S5451) is pretty good, and this would prevent me from having to do much work... the soundbar could just sit on the cabinet in front of the TV, the wireless sub under the sectional, and the rear speakers on the walls as they're tiny enough that mounting them on the wall behind the sectional would be easy and involve minimal visible wires (since they connect to the subwoofer).

The only question I have there is, isn't it going to totally muffle the subwoofer having it under the couch? They say that's what it's built for, but do you need a really tall couch to pull this off? Obviously it's downward driving, but the floor is carpet. Is that going to be an issue? I could put it next to the couch under a side table or something, but then all my bass is coming from one side of where I'm sitting.
I have a similar Vizio sound bar. I can definitely say, I am confused how someone could put a sub woofer under a couch. The one in your link is nice and flat though. Mine is too tall do do that. Could it be muffled? Maybe. For all intents and purposes, I think it will meet your needs.

What I ended up doing was this.

I have a coffee table in front of my sofas. The sub woofer goes there. The wires from the sub to the speakers have to go from the subwoofer to under/behind the sofas. A small floor rug helps with this (more concerned with wires damaged than tripping or aesthetics). I was contemplating buying speaker stands, removing the base and screwing it directly into the wall or the sofa at the corners, but my wife nix'd that idea without hesitation. So, the speakers sit on the corners of my sofa.

Would the bass be muffled? Possibly. I'd do some testing on the sound to find the best location for the sub. Maybe finding a square of tile to place on top of the carpet can get the sound to disburse the best?

EDIT: Can that subwoofer stand vertically against the wall behind the sofas? I found a link of your speakers on Amazon and it seems to show that the subwoofer has a bracket that can allow it to stand vertically?

https://www.amazon.ca/VIZIO-Wireless...ords=SB4551-D5

On a different note:

My Vizio speakers have a weird issue where sometimes the sound fades out from the speaker. I think it's sending the sound from L/R or vice versa, but if you're sitting on the side and can't hear the other side, it just sounds like the sound is cutting out. Anyone know what I can do about that?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the ones I have. I have had the speakers for quite a while now and I purchased them from someone used for a hell of a deal, so hopefully it's something I can tweak on my own. Hopefully, that sound bar system you listed doesn't have the same L/R issue I'm running into Corsi. It's faint enough most my other friends don't notice it at all, but I personally notice it like a sore thumb.

Last edited by DoubleF; 03-22-2017 at 12:25 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:26 PM   #1222
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I have a similar Vizio sound bar. I can definitely say, I am confused how someone could put a sub woofer under a couch. The one in your link is nice and flat though. Mine is too tall do do that. Could it be muffled? Maybe.

What I ended up doing was this.

I have a coffee table in front of my sofas. The sub woofer goes there. The wires from the sub to the speakers have to go from the subwoofer to under/behind the sofas. A small floor rug helps with this (more concerned with wires damaged than tripping or aesthetics). I was contemplating buying speaker stands, removing the base and screwing it directly into the wall or the sofa at the corners, but my wife nix'd that idea without hesitation. So, the speakers sit on the corners of my sofa.

Would the bass be muffled? Possibly. I'd do some testing on the sound to find the best location for the sub. Maybe finding a square of tile to place on top of the carpet can get the sound to disburse the best?

On a different note:

My Vizio speakers have a weird issue where sometimes the sound fades out from the speaker. I think it's sending the sound from L/R or vice versa, but if you're sitting on the side and can't hear the other side, it just sounds like the sound is cutting out. Anyone know what I can do about that?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the ones I have. I have had the speakers for quite a while now and I purchased them from someone used for a hell of a deal, so hopefully it's something I can tweak on my own.
Low frequency sounds, in theory, are non directional and are not as easily muffled, which is why your teenage sons hip hop bass vibrates the whole house even though you cant hear the vocals.
In practise though you would still not want the sub woofer compressed by anything, it would need to be 'free standing' if you will, so a couch on top would need to have enough headroom to clear the top off the speaker, it would also feel fairly weird sitting on the couch I would guess.

Most subwoofers don't have perfect crossovers either and so some high frequency sound bleeds into the sub and makes it 'locational', I would still want it placed by the front speakers myself.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 04:16 PM   #1223
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

More of a general comment, not specific to sub under couch.

Subs should not be 'contained' within any solid structure. Often I see subs setup inside of built in cabinets, brutal for sound.

Sound wavelengths from subs are huge ranging anywhere from ~6' to 75' (crossover aside). This makes it virtually impossible to predict the room interaction with sub and resulting quality of sound. Different sub placements will change the way the sub interacts with the room.

AFC advice is spot on regarding high frequency and keeping the sub free-standing. Try the wireless sub in a couple of spots, and let your ear tell you what sounds best.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:57 AM   #1224
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofjoe View Post
More of a general comment, not specific to sub under couch.

Subs should not be 'contained' within any solid structure. Often I see subs setup inside of built in cabinets, brutal for sound.

Sound wavelengths from subs are huge ranging anywhere from ~6' to 75' (crossover aside). This makes it virtually impossible to predict the room interaction with sub and resulting quality of sound. Different sub placements will change the way the sub interacts with the room.

AFC advice is spot on regarding high frequency and keeping the sub free-standing. Try the wireless sub in a couple of spots, and let your ear tell you what sounds best.

I agree, and I always find my sub sounds best setup in a corner.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:36 AM   #1225
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm going to be finishing my basement shortly and of course setting up a theatre area.

I am going to be putting all the devices in the utility room and just running lines to connect to the tv (and maybe a projector rough in). So my question is what is he best way to do that....is hdmi over cat 5/6 a good solution, or am I better of getting some longer hdmi cable runs? Both on quality as well as cost.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:10 PM   #1226
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
I'm going to be finishing my basement shortly and of course setting up a theatre area.

I am going to be putting all the devices in the utility room and just running lines to connect to the tv (and maybe a projector rough in). So my question is what is he best way to do that....is hdmi over cat 5/6 a good solution, or am I better of getting some longer hdmi cable runs? Both on quality as well as cost.
I would use cat 6 for in wall cable runs. This isn't an HDMI over IP connection, but a pair of cat 6 or 5e cables representing a wire for wire uncompressed HDMI connection. Just buy adapters that can convert 4K signals. There should be no difference in quality using a pair of ethernet cables to replace a single HDMI cable.
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Ice Player For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2017, 01:24 PM   #1227
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Use Conduit to both locations if possible. If not, fibre optic hdmi is the only way at this point to get 18 GBps speed for HDMI 2.0a. google - Celerity Fibre HDMI cables

If that is not important than 2 - 3 Cat6 usually will cover the bill.
The Following User Says Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 12:35 PM   #1228
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone know a place in town that sells steel mesh speaker sheets? I am trying to make a cabinet for my tower speakers.

Thanks.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:40 PM   #1229
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks guys, I'll run a pair of cat 6 to each and I should be able to run some conduit as well.

Any suggestions for inexpensive cat 6 to HDMI adapters? I am looking at monoprice stuff maybe, but doesnt need to be anything super high quality and expensive.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:50 PM   #1230
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks guys, I'll run a pair of cat 6 to each and I should be able to run some conduit as well.

Any suggestions for inexpensive cat 6 to HDMI adapters? I am looking at monoprice stuff maybe, but doesnt need to be anything super high quality and expensive.

Be careful going to cheap, some will not work or have 'issues'. Normally I use Wyrestorm HDbaseT sets with good luck, those are generally only available thru distribution. Most baluns that are HDbaseT work well.

These should be good (I haven't personally used them)

https://www.amazon.ca/AV-Access-Exte...ywords=hdbaset
Old 03-27-2017, 02:06 PM   #1231
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

How long is the cable going to be? I just picked up a 50 ft HDMI for $60, that would be cheaper and less complicated than the extenders.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 04:49 PM   #1232
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
How long is the cable going to be? I just picked up a 50 ft HDMI for $60, that would be cheaper and less complicated than the extenders.
And more reliable. I used to run a HDBaseT extender about 50' to my projector. Once in while the picture would blank out. Bought a Redmere HDMI cable (essentially a powered HDMI cable) from Monoprice. No problems now.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:00 PM   #1233
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
Does anyone know a place in town that sells steel mesh speaker sheets? I am trying to make a cabinet for my tower speakers.

Thanks.
Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.cwcloth.com/about.html

I only looked it up. No idea about these guys as a company or the products they sell.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 06:37 PM   #1234
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.cwcloth.com/about.html

I only looked it up. No idea about these guys as a company or the products they sell.

That looks like it could work out for sure. Thanks a lot. I'll just have to ensure the materials are acoustically transparent

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:52 PM   #1235
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
And more reliable. I used to run a HDBaseT extender about 50' to my projector. Once in while the picture would blank out. Bought a Redmere HDMI cable (essentially a powered HDMI cable) from Monoprice. No problems now.
Yup, that's what I am using too. Just remember they are directional, and triple check you have it the right way before spending 3 hours fishing it through walls. Then check 3 more times.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:38 AM   #1236
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
That looks like it could work out for sure. Thanks a lot. I'll just have to ensure the materials are acoustically transparent
I know some speakers use wire/metal, but I can't imagine it being truly acoustic transparent like a felt or proper acoustic transparent fabric...

https://acousticalsolutions.com/prod...panel-fabrics/
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 11:19 PM   #1237
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks so much for the opinions and help.

So I am going to run HDMI cables as well as a couple of cat 6 runs to both the tv location as well as to rough in for a possible projector.

2 more things:

-is there any point to running rg6 lines? All the media stuff is located in the utility room, so it's would only be for the tv/projector.

-what are the latest opinions on projectors. For a while I was hearing lots of good things, but I never got one in to my old house. So are people still big fans?
Old 04-04-2017, 07:35 AM   #1238
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally I wouldn't bother with an rg6 these days.

I love my projector, and I don't think I could go back to a smaller screen. The biggest issues is 1080p is where the affordability stops. You can get a pseudo 4k(pixel shift) for around $3000, but true 4k is closer to $10 000. From what I've read though, the pixel shift do a really good job:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/4k-projectors.htm

I'm still using 720p becuase I am kinda(really) cheap, but I may upgrade to 1080p soonish.

It depends on your room though. I've got an ideal basement setup with no outside light.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:13 AM   #1239
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks so much for the opinions and help.

So I am going to run HDMI cables as well as a couple of cat 6 runs to both the tv location as well as to rough in for a possible projector.

2 more things:

-is there any point to running rg6 lines? All the media stuff is located in the utility room, so it's would only be for the tv/projector.

-what are the latest opinions on projectors. For a while I was hearing lots of good things, but I never got one in to my old house. So are people still big fans?
For resale run RG6 to any potential cable box locations, it is cheap.

Epson is my goto for projectors, and yes I am big fan especially of the 5040/6040 models.
The Following User Says Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2017, 10:28 AM   #1240
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

I have the Panasonic ae8000u projector, since it launched in 2012.

Its an awesome projector, and it lights up a 135" screen amazingly well.

Some say some of the epson projectors are better, and I have no reason to disagree with that, whenever someone asks me whether they should buy one like mine or the Epson, I always just tell them to read up and make their own decision.

I find the best place to buy projectors is Quebec Acoustic. Great prices and the owner is often manning the sales and support lines, and is really knowledgeable.

I paid about $3K for that projector 4 years ago, you can get it for less now. I'm extremely pleased with the purchase and still haven't even had to replace the bulb (and I got an extra bulb free from QA sitting here still).

EDIT: I also started looking at 4k projectors, all the reviews I have read say wait. 1080p on 135" screen is still stunning with good source material.

Last edited by Kjesse; 04-04-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post: