Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2016, 02:21 PM   #221
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
Your perception is not uncommon. But Colborne is 26. Not a "kid", and his development finished years ago.

We all like to look at him as that high first rounder with size. But he's not going to be anything more than he is right now.

Dont't get fooled by play during the last 6 weeks of a season where your team is eliminated. He isn't "coming around" any more than Sven Baertschi or Joni Ortio were.

Loved Joe the human, and wish him the best, but glad we didn't move forward with him at increased rate. Our team sucked last year, and while it was mostly goaltending, clearing the chaff need sto happen too.
I'm not so sure you can say that. Despite being 26, Joe's rookie year is only 3 seasons old. He has improved each season. He is a stereotypical late bloomer, and I expect him to have yet another career year with the Avalanche.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:23 PM   #222
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
I'm not so sure you can say that. Despite being 26, Joe's rookie year is only 3 seasons old. He has improved each season. He is a stereotypical late bloomer, and I expect him to have yet another career year with the Avalanche.
He's 26. He doesn't get extra development time because he made it to the NHL late. He's still 26
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2016, 02:34 PM   #223
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post
A late season surge to 19 goals is still worth a heck of a lot more to me than a late season surge to 8 goals - combined - out of bouma bollig and Ferland. Or Stajan and his 6 goals.

The list of inconsistent struggling forwards to cast aside hardly starts with colborne.
Like Joe were those guys handed an opportunity after an opportunity in the top 6 playing 19-20 minutes a game? Didnt think so. Try again.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:08 PM   #224
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
A late season surge to 19 goals is still worth a heck of a lot more to me than a late season surge to 8 goals - combined - out of bouma bollig and Ferland. Or Stajan and his 6 goals.

The list of inconsistent struggling forwards to cast aside hardly starts with colborne.
Those guys still have contracts for next year. Colborne didn't. So what is the point of whining about those other guys until we see whether Treliving tries to re-sign them when they are in the same situation?
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:16 PM   #225
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
He's improved his points/game for three consecutive seasons.

We let go of an RFA who was better than 0.5 p/g and trending up, for nothing, and replaced him with a lower scoring, older, more expensive UFA.

Time to stop worshipping Treliving.

There's more to building a winning hockey team then looking at points.

You may not like it on paper now, but I think Brouwer will contribute a heck of a lot more to a winning team than Colborne did last year.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:32 PM   #226
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I agree but 2 of those players are untradeable. You can't give up on Ferland to give a roster spot to Colborne. You might get me to agree that Bouma should have been traded to make room for Colborne.
Yeah maybe. Or maybe they should have just traded colborne. My gripe is more with losing him for nothing than losing him in general.

The flames cap crunch and colborne's arbitration rights aren't surprises. To have a 'woops, we have to let him walk' moment is a bit weak from flames management. they should never have been in this position.

And they're still in it. That might bug me more.
Bend it like Bourgeois is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bend it like Bourgeois For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2016, 03:35 PM   #227
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah maybe. Or maybe they should have just traded colborne. My gripe is more with losing him for nothing than losing him in general.

The flames cap crunch and colborne's arbitration rights aren't surprises. To have a 'woops, we have to let him walk' moment is a bit weak from flames management. they should never have been in this position.

You're assuming someone would have given something up for him in a trade when that's by no means a given by the small salary he signed for. Odd thing to be upset about.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:36 PM   #228
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

The trade deadline was feb 29. His hot streak continued past that through end of season (almost half his goals) which changed the possible arbitration outcomes. In a cap world losing players for nothing is not just expected, it is sometimes required
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2016, 03:38 PM   #229
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

You don't think Treliving tried to trade him? I'm betting no one was interested in trading an asset for him because his season looked like an aberration and there was arbitration clouding the waters. Too risky.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:43 PM   #230
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
The trade deadline was feb 29. His hot streak continued past that through end of season (almost half his goals) which changed the possible arbitration outcomes. In a cap world losing players for nothing is not just expected, it is sometimes required
Arbitration is a huge issue too. I'd much rather let him walk for nothing if the alternative option was getting saddled with him for 3.5+ via arbitration.

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 07-02-2016 at 04:22 PM.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:45 PM   #231
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a little confused on how some of you guys can unequivocally say that Colborne isn't going to continue to get better. He may get better, he may not. He may continue improving to be a 50pt guy, we don't know. He may continue to get more physical, he may not. Stop with the definitives. Why don't we wait to see what happens before we judge this one.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #232
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
I'm a little confused on how some of you guys can unequivocally say that Colborne isn't going to continue to get better. He may get better, he may not. He may continue improving to be a 50pt guy, we don't know. He may continue to get more physical, he may not. Stop with the definitives. Why don't we wait to see what happens before we judge this one.
At even odds, would you bet money (if you had to, say $1000) that Colborne is going to A) improve B) stay the same C) regress slightly D) regress a lot

I would bet on C because I think he's a 30-35 point 3rd line LW that got hot for a month and a half.

Fact is, a great majority of players are done developing by 26. Betting against that with Colborne seems odd to me. Players like Giordano are like unicorns, you rarely see that kind of uptick in a player once they enter their mid/late 20s. With forwards, usually by 23-24, what you see is what you get. Just because Colborne got a late start does not mean he has a better chance of being an outlier IMO.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #233
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

I feel like 26 is the last year you really see players even get a bit better, so I think colborne can still take another step.
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:02 PM   #234
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I think this is just the natural transition for a rebuilding team. The players we all like as people just might not be right for a team trying to make that next step.

Agreed. Colborne had a great personality and seemed like a very down to earth kid (not to mention all of the off-ice community work). I ran into him at the airport last summer and congratulated him and the team on a good season and he seemed genuinely glad to receive the praise from a fan.

But yes, all of that has to be reconciled with the reality that we can't keep every player as we move forward.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:27 PM   #235
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This is the third team who has given up on Colborne. There comes a point where he's had enough chances and this is who he is.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2016, 04:59 PM   #236
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
This is the third team who has given up on Colborne. There comes a point where he's had enough chances and this is who he is.
Given up on, like Brouwer (Chicago, Washington, St. Louis)?
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2016, 05:06 PM   #237
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Plus, it a team wants to improve, you can't just bring back all the same guys
Old 07-02-2016, 05:20 PM   #238
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Posted this in grade the first day of UFA. Thought it might be more appropriate here.

Some are adamant that the Flames dropped the ball in not coming up with a qualifying offer and eventually losing Joe.
The Flames were not going to arbitration. Period. Nor was he tradable under the veil of potential arbitration.
When a agreeable number could not be negotiated, the Flames went in another direction.
They signed a player who is a consistent and hard to play against 40 point player who makes the players he plays with better.
It is doubtful that many here will claim that Joe had the wear with all to become that type of player.
Great person and an asset to the community but...he put all his chips in and lost to a far better hand.
Brouwer is a proven commodity who will make a big and positive difference to the Flames and specifically their young players.
That in itself is worth a good portion of what he is being paid.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:22 PM   #239
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wherewithal, but generally agree. Have to say though that Brouwer is too expensive for what I think he'll bring
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2016, 05:27 PM   #240
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
He's improved his points/game for three consecutive seasons.

We let go of an RFA who was better than 0.5 p/g and trending up, for nothing, and replaced him with a lower scoring, older, more expensive UFA.

Time to stop worshipping Treliving.
Why?

Lets pretend I agree and this was a big oops by him, does that erase the past 2 years of his amazing record?

Even if this was a mistake, I still think he is one of the top NHL GMs, aka, worshipable.
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote