Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2016, 11:30 PM   #101
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ep4 was brilliant.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:42 AM   #102
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

This stuff with the therapist/chess guy is an O'Brien setup. The long stares, the shady business, letting a mentally deranged person handle your online business solutions.... I don't buy it. He's setting Elliott up for a fall
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:54 AM   #103
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
The show is incredibly complex and requires careful consideration. His personality issues are a metaphor for modern society and play an integral role in the philosophy being presented. His imaginary friend is analogous to fiat/digital currency. A fundamental flaw that can not be managed or reasoned with.

Elliott struggles with Mr. Robot the same way in which Mr. Robot struggles with society. Eternally fighting an illusion is about as cerebral a conflict one could create.
I wont dispute any of those points, however in my opinion it hasnt been exciting tv so far. Hopefully episode 4 picks up the pace.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:30 AM   #104
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
I wont dispute any of those points, however in my opinion it hasnt been exciting tv so far. Hopefully episode 4 picks up the pace.
The end of ep. 4 does finally pick back up. I agree, it was a long slog through the insanity episodes, too much focus on character and the plot stalled out. I can see how some viewers would enjoy that style though.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:51 PM   #105
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Yeah I get why you wouldn't like it. I'm on the extreme scale of analyzing movies and shows so if you aren't focused 100% a lot of the themes and meanings will fly by. Not everyone likes to have to pay that much attention and this is way past Breaking Bad in terms of hidden meanings and hints. Everything is compared and paralleled in Mr. Robot for various reasons, if you're not into philosophy and hidden meanings it's probably very boring.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:46 PM   #106
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Episode 4 was the best of the season so far. Finally pieces are being put together
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:07 AM   #107
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
This stuff with the therapist/chess guy is an O'Brien setup. The long stares, the shady business, letting a mentally deranged person handle your online business solutions.... I don't buy it. He's setting Elliott up for a fall
I feel like he was a cop but it's weird that he's not at least involved with the FBI investigation so I don't know. That office didn't look like your typical shady criminal office. He's definitely a master manipulator though.

Either way I think that episode really kicked things off but I feel like you needed the other episodes to really get were everything sat after the hack. Character development is important in a show so reliant on each characters traits to move the plot forward and make it believable.

When Elliot snapped at his therapist, do you think that would've been as powerful if you didn't watch the other three episodes where we really got an idea of where he was? Do you think the battle between him and Mr. Robot and him finally giving in would've been as impactful if you didn't have the other three episodes of Elliot trying to get rid of him?

Those kind of things have to be earned or you end up with a half assed show like most of the other garbage on TV.
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2016, 10:27 AM   #108
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I feel like he was a cop but it's weird that he's not at least involved with the FBI investigation so I don't know. That office didn't look like your typical shady criminal office. He's definitely a master manipulator though.

Either way I think that episode really kicked things off but I feel like you needed the other episodes to really get were everything sat after the hack. Character development is important in a show so reliant on each characters traits to move the plot forward and make it believable.

When Elliot snapped at his therapist, do you think that would've been as powerful if you didn't watch the other three episodes where we really got an idea of where he was? Do you think the battle between him and Mr. Robot and him finally giving in would've been as impactful if you didn't have the other three episodes of Elliot trying to get rid of him?

Those kind of things have to be earned or you end up with a half assed show like most of the other garbage on TV.
I think you need to have a balance, otherwise you end up with some try hard Woody Allen script. Don't get me wrong, I love the show. It just felt like they could have condensed some of the Elliott/Mr. Robot dynamic into maybe one less episode. We get it, he's on the verge of insanity. Time to advance the plot of the show.

It's really just a preference I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank MetaMusil For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2016, 10:30 AM   #109
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
I think you need to have a balance, otherwise you end up with some try hard Woody Allen script. Don't get me wrong, I love the show. It just felt like they could have condensed some of the Elliott/Mr. Robot dynamic into maybe one less episode. We get it, he's on the verge of insanity. Time to advance the plot of the show.

Fair enough and I wouldn't really disagree that Episode one could've been one part. But hey if those 3 episodes are as bad as it gets? This is probably the best show of all time.

It's funny that Wednesday nights episode is the first episode of Mr. Robot to not score 100% on RT. Had to settle with a measly 94%. One bad review.

Last edited by polak; 07-29-2016 at 10:32 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2016, 11:08 AM   #110
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post

I agree that it's a preference thing. For me every single scene is advancing the plot because of the complexity of Elliotts ego. So much so I'll have to rewatch it.

He didn't even recognize his sister, his mind is splintering and it's going to lead somewhere. At the end of episode 4 Elliot realized there is no destroying Mr. Robot. That's what the 4 episodes were about as well as establishing Elliots future motives for behavior.

Mr. Robot is never leaving as long as Elliot is around. He's not just his father's memory he's part of who Elliot is and they are actually one in the same now, Elliot gave in and now he's hacking not because he wants to, not because Mr. Robot told him to but because if he doesn't Mr. Robot will haunt him forever.

That's important because now we know Elliot is acting out of pure mental illness with very little reason or philosophy. He's in survival mode but not, he's in limbo where the only choices are desolation or martyrdom.

He doesn't really care about taking down the system, the significance is that Elliot has absolutely nothing to lose now. He'll do anything as the real Elliot is gone, now we have someone completely lost in illusion trying to shape world events. I bet he ends up scott free of all this running for political office with a maniacal twinkle in his eyes.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:42 PM   #111
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:

Spoiler!
like the movie, 6th sense, where you ponder on the subtle scenes...

Quote:
Spoiler!
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:15 PM   #112
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Crazy episode last night!
Old 08-06-2016, 09:42 AM   #113
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Uh oh for Elliot. Hope he's OK, maybe they punched Mr. Robot out of his head and he's free now.

Also, it's Tyrell not Tyler. But I do agree now that I think about it, Elliot probably took him out.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:55 PM   #114
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

That was another good episode. It's really taking off now. That shooting scene was pretty terrifyingly realistic. Just happens in a flash.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:34 AM   #115
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

That was an odd intro! But made sense once they revealed that he was in the hospital.

Not going to lie, I was a little disappointed with that episode as I was hoping things would really take off with Elliot now but instead they used it as almost a filler episode for him to touch more on the back story. The back story scene was well done though.

Really liked the heist scene.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:59 PM   #116
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
That was an odd intro! But made sense once they revealed that he was in the hospital.

Not going to lie, I was a little disappointed with that episode as I was hoping things would really take off with Elliot now but instead they used it as almost a filler episode for him to touch more on the back story. The back story scene was well done though.

Really liked the heist scene.
I lost it when he bumped into Alf at the gas station, but overall, I agree. The episode was lacking in progression storywise.
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:43 PM   #117
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stupid PVR cut off early again tonight, but luckily I was watching it close enough to airing that the last 15 minutes were still in the cache.

If you had the same problem, you definitely don't want to miss that last 15 because they answered at least one of the big questions of the season.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:28 AM   #118
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. That was done very well
Old 08-18-2016, 09:35 AM   #119
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Now the question is can we trust Elliot about anything anymore? I hope he's not in a mental institute or a jail the whole time and he played everything out after his dad died.

Angela, his childhood friend, and sister were the two people he interacted with most. Really hope it's not an Abed alternate reality kind of thing.

Last edited by AcGold; 08-18-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:51 PM   #120
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I can't wait to see how long he's been in for and for what.