Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2015, 04:15 PM   #61
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I see it as a warning that if the unrestrained capitalism that we see now continues we will get a company like Evil Corp in the near future
If anything the corporations peaked in the 90s. Now many chain restaurants and department stores are struggling as people source their own products.

Either way the concept is hardly new.

Last edited by blankall; 09-09-2015 at 04:17 PM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:18 PM   #62
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
If anything the corporations peaked in the 90s. Now many chain restaurants and department stores are struggling as people source their own products.

Either way the concept is hardly new.
Chain restaurants and department stores are much different industries than the electronics and financial institutions that Evil corp represent.

If you take a look at the real life electronics industry now, you can see a trend where it`s twindling down to Apple and Samsung
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:25 AM   #63
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Obviously there are probably more redundancies in their records than this show could believably explain defeating, but if you took out all of Amex, Visa and Mastercard then I think you're pretty close to an Evil Corp equivalent. All debt might be a stretch but personal debt?

It is still a tv show guys, gotta give it some slack and use some imagination. In Mr. Robots world, a company like that exists. That's the point
This is the part that bugs me. Especially in Fight club

There`s a misconception that Visa or MasterCard holds records of people`s debts and manages each creditcard out there with their logo on it. The issuing bank like MBNA or Capital one controls and manages their own credit card portfolio. Visa and MasterCard are merely allowing the bank and each credit card holder to access its network so they can complete transactions

So in fight club, when they blew up Visa or MasterCard`s headquarters, all they`ve really done is make it inconvenient for people to use their cards and maybe prevented settlement for a day or two. People would still have their credit card debt with the issuing bank

but then again you`re right... this is not a fact in the TV Movie world
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:01 AM   #64
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Chain restaurants and department stores are much different industries than the electronics and financial institutions that Evil corp represent.

If you take a look at the real life electronics industry now, you can see a trend where it`s twindling down to Apple and Samsung
Off topic but not remotely true. Both Samsung and Apple are losing market share to companies. Both combine for a market share of only 40%. At about 20% each they are the biggest, but there are plenty of competitors.

Samsung, in particular, is struggling to maintain market share. Both companies are highly dependent on trends too. Look at what happened with Nokia.

Even then, in real life the anti-monpoly laws would prevent a single company from controlling as many resources as E Corp did.

Once again, I think the vastness of E Corp was a part of Eliot's delusion. It was probably a company like Cisco, JP Morgan or MasterCard. You'd see their branding all over, which, in the mind of a schizophrenic of his medications and self treating with opiates, would lead to some wild conclusions.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:26 AM   #65
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Well I just binge watched episodes 3-10...it's 7AM, and I need to work in a few hours.

It's interesting that another poster mentioned Samsung and there are arguments about how conglomerates like E Corp cannot actually exist. In Korea, Samsung is the most powerful of Chaebols, a conglomerate that vertically and horizontally integrates into everything just like E Corp. We see it as the brand name on our smart phones and televisions but in reality, they are involved in everything from said electronics to apparel, food, medical supplies, banking, oil & gas, and even theme parks. It's the same way in Japan with organizations called Keiretsu.

E Corp was definitely patterned after Enron (the creators even say the logo was inspired by Enron). There's also an interesting parallel in terms of the recent Volkswagon scandal that illustrates the deliberate/calculated corporate malfeasance that this show is trying to illustrate. I find that to be one of its strongest themes - to show how seemingly ordinary men can have extraordinarily calculated and "evil" thoughts behind their exterior. That's even true of all the common folk as Elliot speaks of wishing to be able to view their source code and see all the thoughts and behaviors they hide from everyone else.

I still find problems with the show but am still moved by the lengths by which it goes to show that hackers mostly hack by social engineering and not by some ridiculous key-stroke kung-fu. Interestingly, I pretty much guessed right away that Mr. Robot was a fight-club imagining in the early moment when Christian Slater appeared in AllSafe's office and nobody cared or noticed. This however, led to be being later bothered that Elliot was able to walk right through E Corp's offices in the finale when in search of Tyrell. Everybody who works in a corporate office knows they are highly locked and controlled.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2015, 12:00 PM   #66
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great series. Glad I watched. Though Hack and Lube should hide some spoilers above.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:19 PM   #67
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wild fan theory presented here:
http://decider.com/2015/10/21/mr-rob...-2-ultragrrrl/
Old 10-25-2015, 12:31 PM   #68
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames89 View Post
Great series. Glad I watched. Though Hack and Lube should hide some spoilers above.
This is the series dedicated thread. If someone comes in here without being caught up then it's their own fault for spoilers, that should be common sense
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2015, 06:12 PM   #69
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

A time travel aspect may be good, the issue being the crossover with his mental sanity. I don't want to watch 2 seasons of oh it was just a dream and he's crazy.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:22 PM   #70
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
This is the series dedicated thread. If someone comes in here without being caught up then it's their own fault for spoilers, that should be common sense
Anything that's already been aired is fair game. This is a weekly series. No different than the thread discussing what's going on in the walking dead.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:29 AM   #71
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yes, but has it aired properly in Canada?
Old 10-26-2015, 10:55 AM   #72
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's what I'm pissed about. People are commenting on episodes they have downloaded illegally when it hasn't yet aired in Canada.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:12 AM   #73
Leopold Stotch
Draft Pick

It`s on Showcase on Friday nights.

http://www.showcase.ca/mrrobot
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:18 AM   #74
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
That's what I'm pissed about. People are commenting on episodes they have downloaded illegally when it hasn't yet aired in Canada.
I hadn't realized the whole show hadn't been broadcast here. That's fair enough.

The cat was kind of already out of the bag on the first page of this thread though. Plus if you google anywhere, you're going to see the same spoilers.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:22 AM   #75
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

So Mr Robot won Best Drama and Best Supporting Actor (Christian Slater) at the Golden Globes.

Rami Malek was ####ing ROBBED of best actor by John Hamm from mad men. Are you kidding me!?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2016, 11:41 AM   #76
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Season 2 trailer.

cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #77
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Clearly Elliot has been smoking weed. That's the only way to explain his mental illness
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:01 PM   #78
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

No premiere date in the trailer. C'mon, Mr. Robot.

July 13 on USA and Showcase. Looks like no more delays for Canadian viewers, huzzah!
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:59 PM   #79
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Season 2 premiere is on now on Twitter via Snappy TV
Quote:
@whoismrrobot
We have released the #mrrobot season_2.0 Premiere early, but it won't be here long. Watch while you can, friends.

-- except it's not playing for me. It's on USA Network's website, in what appears to be a youtube stream -- but 'The uploader has not made this video available in your county'. :|

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 07-10-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:01 AM   #80
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched the first 4 of season 1. Can't shake the similarity to Matt Damon's narration in Rounders.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote