Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2017, 11:40 AM   #941
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

^^ I can't officially thank that in good conscience, but thanks.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #942
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep him barely alive, that's the way boys!
Old 03-07-2017, 12:32 PM   #943
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Every chance they get...
BOSSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:43 PM   #944
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it possible he can mount a charter challange that his rights are being violated under section 12 of charter prohibiting cruel and unusual punishment especially if he could prove negligence on the part of the prison?

And if so could that allow him to get out some how?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:44 PM   #945
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

not surprised...

he's going to have to spend the rest of his life in isolation at this point...

but you reap what you sow
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:46 PM   #946
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Or they decide that given his age, and the threat against him that they'll transfer him to some minimum security prison with offenders who don't want to lose their living conditions.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:59 PM   #947
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

I honestly would not be surprised if he was provoking these beatings to keep his name in the news and thereby keep tormenting the family. He's an unrepentant evil psycho. I hope he dies soon.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:37 PM   #948
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Is it possible he can mount a charter challange that his rights are being violated under section 12 of charter prohibiting cruel and unusual punishment especially if he could prove negligence on the part of the prison?

Not sure if serious...
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:39 PM   #949
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
I honestly would not be surprised if he was provoking these beatings to keep his name in the news and thereby keep tormenting the family. He's an unrepentant evil psycho. I hope he dies soon.
I don't know about that. Seems a little far fetched. The man is a straight out coward. Psychopaths are pussys.
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:40 PM   #950
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

No, he would get a payout and the jail would up its level of supervision but nothing gets him out.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 03-07-2017, 05:43 PM   #951
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i have a lot of mixed emotions when I read this
Old 03-07-2017, 05:59 PM   #952
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Nathan O'Brien was five years old, and Douglas Garland killed him.

The institution that has him incarcerated will need to protect him better than they have, I suppose.

Trying to be a civilized person, one needs to contemplate punishment. This is a passage to remember and it has a lot of wisdom and in many ways reflects why we do not have capital punishment:

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.” --Nietzsche

Depsite this, if on the odd chance I met one of the assailants of the second assault in a pub after their release, I'd make sure his drinks were covered.

Last edited by Kjesse; 03-07-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 07:05 PM   #953
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm kind off surprised by this. I would have thought he would be checked in to special handling upon his arrival at Edmonton max...
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:08 PM   #954
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
Nathan O'Brien was five years old, and Douglas Garland killed him.

The institution that has him incarcerated will need to protect him better than they have, I suppose.

Trying to be a civilized person, one needs to contemplate punishment. This is a passage to remember and it has a lot of wisdom and in many ways reflects why we do not have capital punishment:

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.” --Nietzsche

Depsite this, if on the odd chance I met one of the assailants of the second assault in a pub after their release, I'd make sure his drinks were covered.
I think I feel the same way. In principle, we should take steps to ensure our prisons are safe, and not chaotic and lawless places where vigilante justice steps in where the state cannot go.

In practice? It is really hard to feel bad for a monster like that.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iowa_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 07:09 PM   #955
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
He is a scumbag and nothing would surprise me. Another thing that is possible is he's provoking the attacks to get sent to the hospital where he thinks a chance at an escape may be possible.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:06 PM   #956
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
He is a scumbag and nothing would surprise me. Another thing that is possible is he's provoking the attacks to get sent to the hospital where he thinks a chance at an escape may be possible.
I think you and Peanut are giving this piece of garbage too much credit. I doubt he is masterminding getting his ass kicked to torment the family or get to a hospital for an escape. He murdered a kid and his grandparents in a brutal fashion. Jailhouse justice is playing out whether the civilized folks on the outside agree with it or not. Jails are full of scary dudes who still have some morals. Apparently, murdering three people, chopping them up and using meat hooks during the process is deemed morally wrong by these fellow convicts. I can't say I disagree.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:20 PM   #957
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
You may not have followed this one through. Mr. Garland is serving in a maximum security unit with similar offenders. So I bet you wouldn't cover their drinks once you found out why they were Doug's next door neighbours.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MBates For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 08:25 PM   #958
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
I think you and Peanut are giving this piece of garbage too much credit. I doubt he is masterminding getting his ass kicked to torment the family or get to a hospital for an escape. He murdered a kid and his grandparents in a brutal fashion. Jailhouse justice is playing out whether the civilized folks on the outside agree with it or not. Jails are full of scary dudes who still have some morals. Apparently, murdering three people, chopping them up and using meat hooks during the process is deemed morally wrong by these fellow convicts. I can't say I disagree.
I mostly agree with you, except that I think that it's all about the boy. Murdering an innocent little boy because you're mad at his grandfather is horrible. Even hardened criminals still remember the faces of their own children, nephews and nieces. And with not much else to do, beating a guy that did something as bad as this is probably a nice way to spend sunday afternoon. Bonus is that the free public aint even mad.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 08:30 PM   #959
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBates View Post
You may not have followed this one through. Mr. Garland is serving in a maximum security unit with similar offenders. So I bet you wouldn't cover their drinks once you found out why they were Doug's next door neighbours.
I respect your professionalism, but he no longer deserves to be addressed so politely. He's not "Mr. Garland" and he's sure as FK not "Doug". He's Douglas Garland, or Garland.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 08:32 PM   #960
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
It is really odd how everyone appears willing to speculate a chivilrous maximum security inmate as a do-gooder with a moral compass being the attacker since that makes it apparently easier to feel good about the jailhouse Justice.

If another kid murderer did it then what? Do we no longer like the guy or does his 'morality' carry the day?
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MBates For This Useful Post: