Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2022, 02:56 PM   #4301
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Sunwing customers stranded in Mexico; what a mess: https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6697993
Sunwing is now owned by Westjet. What a coincidence.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 03:41 PM   #4302
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Not yet. They've agreed to buy them but it hasn't closed.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2022, 04:19 PM   #4303
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
This is completely normal for Sunwing and happens every winter... you can plan on your vacation starting a day late though you might come back a day later as well.

As much hate as WestJet deserves right now, their acquisition of Sunwing will be an improvement for Sunwing; WestJet has more airplanes and will be better suited for recovery missions.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2022, 05:40 PM   #4304
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sunwing ended up chartering at 777-200 from Omni Air to bring passengers back from Mexico to both Edmonton and Calgary.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 06:13 PM   #4305
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Similar to flying during the holidays, I have never heard good news or things about Sunwing.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2022, 06:21 PM   #4306
Mickey76
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Head of YVR came out and said they were proud of their response.

Which is ridiculous, imo. That's a huge airport in Canada. Having the ability to clear snow should be obvious.

The airlines having hundreds of extra planes at a hundred million each isn't realistic. YVR having a couple of extra snowplows seems more reasonable.
Lol
Brownie you’re doing a heckuva job.
Mickey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mickey76 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2022, 06:57 PM   #4307
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey76 View Post
Lol
Brownie you’re doing a heckuva job.
Is that a dig at me or Vrooman - head of YVR?

I'm not involved in the airline industry in any way, except as a customer. Mostly I've been flying Westjet lately because I live in Calgary and prioritize nonstop flights, but I'm hopeful the upstarts will coalesce and add a solid third competitor.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 08:15 PM   #4308
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Like has been said above... it's generally a bad/busy time of year made worse by a number of factors that can't be anticipated nor recovered from within 24-48 hours. Was it this bad a month ago? will it be as bad in a month?

That said over the past ~3-6 months I've had really good experiences w/ AC, WJ, Lynx, and Flair but in majority of cases the weather was cooperative and flying non-peak times. Also had friends/family that have had super bad experiences too where they arrive internationally and no luggage for several days (which is a good lesson to carry a couple spare shirts/underwear/sweater/jacket).
I do feel super awful for all those impacted by these travel issues. So disappointing for 99.9% of them.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 08:16 PM   #4309
Mickey76
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I'm not involved in the airline industry in any way, except as a customer. Mostly I've been flying Westjet lately because I live in Calgary and prioritize nonstop flights, but I'm hopeful the upstarts will coalesce and add a solid third competitor.
Oh sorry not at you at all. Aimed staight at Vrooman.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mickey76 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2022, 10:56 PM   #4310
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Pretty sure it was a reference to this...

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...hael-brown.cnn
Old 12-27-2022, 03:41 AM   #4311
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Similar to flying during the holidays, I have never heard good news or things about Sunwing.
They were stacking up 8 to 12 hour delays from Calgary back in October, long before a snowflake even fell, and it wasn't even noteworthy because they do it every year. Sunwing will take a huge delay and their schedule is so tight that they have no way to recover, so they just run half a day behind for a week straight.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 06:42 AM   #4312
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Same thing happens every year, I’m honestly shocked people get surprised about these things. Sunwing has always been crap, people continue to book with them for “discounted” holidays which turns out in your favor 1 out of every 10 times you talk to people.

The only thing that triggers me on this matter is that random guy on the news that claims to be the “president” of his 1 man airport equality organization.

They seemingly always check with him on this crap and he loves to tell you you’re entitled to thousands in compensation and to sue the airline over and over again.
Nobody can afford to sue any airline and nobody ever gets proper compensation for their 12+ hour delays yet he says the same verbatim. It’s the worst segment lol

This whole industry is a scam in Canada.
Its a shame honestly. Can fly domestically around Europe, Asia Christ even the africas id you dare for 1/10 the price and most of the time it’s better quality and service.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 07:27 AM   #4313
Mickey76
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
Pretty sure it was a reference to this...

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...hael-brown.cnn
https://youtu.be/4seTYy2bTeg

Yes. I guess I am getting old lol, at one time it was a commonly used dig aimed at people showing complete incompetence. Even used by the Sopranos.
Old 12-27-2022, 07:32 AM   #4314
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Southwest having a "bit" of a meltdown the last few days, 42% of flights cancelled on the 25th, 69% on the 26th, and starting today with 70% of their flights cancelled. Woah.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 08:20 AM   #4315
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Southwest having a "bit" of a meltdown the last few days, 42% of flights cancelled on the 25th, 69% on the 26th, and starting today with 70% of their flights cancelled. Woah.
http://https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/2...own/index.html

The U.S gov’t takes airline underperformance more seriously there with the U.S DOT promising to investigate. You never hear the Canadian government authorities pledge the same thing about our airlines.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 08:40 AM   #4316
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Same thing happens every year, I’m honestly shocked people get surprised about these things. Sunwing has always been crap, people continue to book with them for “discounted” holidays which turns out in your favor 1 out of every 10 times you talk to people.

The only thing that triggers me on this matter is that random guy on the news that claims to be the “president” of his 1 man airport equality organization.

They seemingly always check with him on this crap and he loves to tell you you’re entitled to thousands in compensation and to sue the airline over and over again.
Nobody can afford to sue any airline and nobody ever gets proper compensation for their 12+ hour delays yet he says the same verbatim. It’s the worst segment lol

This whole industry is a scam in Canada.
Its a shame honestly. Can fly domestically around Europe, Asia Christ even the africas id you dare for 1/10 the price and most of the time it’s better quality and service.
The price difference between Canada and Europe/Asia doesn't bother me as much, the volume is way more (it still annoys me though) the service level pisses me off though. North American airlines treat their customers like we should be kissing their feet that they have the graciousness to transport us somewhere. Like #### off, we're paying for your product, act like any other airline around the world.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 09:29 AM   #4317
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
This dude freaks me out. Doesn't blink, smiles and could be the head of a cult for all I know.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 09:58 AM   #4318
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wish me luck! We are going to try to make it to Mexico although I'm not sure it will actually happen but I'll consider it a miracle if it works out.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 02:40 PM   #4319
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1607493035839094785

19 for me. Did pretty good in the first half but faded in the second half. Quite a few I hope to hit someday…
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 02:51 PM   #4320
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also 19. Kind of weird to have Naples and Milan but not Florence and Venice, unless I missed those - better cities to travel to as far as Italy goes.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote