Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 08:50 PM   #5481
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't done a real mountain bike ride in so long, I don't know if I'll still have the skill to do one. I'll have to get my old 26" bike ride ready and get my ass out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 07:47 AM   #5482
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Foxy Climb is all paved up as of Friday afternoon, the paving crew was still there on Friday so I didn't cruise down it. Took it coming to work today, got to love that fresh asphalt over the old frost heaved path!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 07:48 AM   #5483
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

They finally finished the path under McKnight for Nose Creek late last week. At least one of the crappy detours is finished.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:38 AM   #5484
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Did the Legacy Trail on Saturday. Pretty nice ride into Banff for lunch, then back. It's noticeably easier on the way back from Banff to Canmore.

Bear signs all around the path around the Banff East Park gates. Bear 148 must be roaming around...

Note that the parking lot at the Canmore Visitor Information Centre is pretty small for such a popular trail. It was full by 10am and people were already circling. We pretty much got the last spot. I'm sure there is other parking elsewhere though.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:45 AM   #5485
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
Did the Legacy Trail on Saturday. Pretty nice ride into Banff for lunch, then back. It's noticeably easier on the way back from Banff to Canmore.

Bear signs all around the path around the Banff East Park gates. Bear 148 must be roaming around...

Note that the parking lot at the Canmore Visitor Information Centre is pretty small for such a popular trail. It was full by 10am and people were already circling. We pretty much got the last spot. I'm sure there is other parking elsewhere though.
The bear has been mostly hanging out by the golf course across the tracks, but I guess wanders over to the trail occasionally. It is almost always easier coming back due to the prevailing wind direction, it's usually more noticeable in the afternoon as that is when the wind picks up.

For parking, you can go into town and park at the rec centre/curling rink/golf course. Ideally one day they will have a crossing at the tracks, as it is just across from the info centre. As a kid we used to cut across there all the time, but CP put up fences a few years ago. So for now you have to go back to the crossing by BP's.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:34 AM   #5486
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We need to upgrade my daughter's bike in the next couple weeks before she starts Pedalheads camp at the end of the month. She's 5 1/2 and is quite tall, she's outgrown her 16" Spawn bike and we were thinking of going up to a 20". We want a good bike for her again (she loved the Spawn bike) - something that is lightweight, cable brakes, etc. One of my husband's friends (who is an avid cyclist) got their daughter a Trek Superfly - does anyone else have other suggestions for us to look at?
Old 07-31-2017, 10:43 AM   #5487
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
Bear signs all around the path around the Banff East Park gates. Bear 148 must be roaming around....
totally unrelated to biking, but I hope the day does not come where the CO's decide bear 148 has to be put down
Old 07-31-2017, 10:45 AM   #5488
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't Bear 148 the one that chased that cyclist on highway 93 going up the hill towards Radium about a week or so ago?
Old 07-31-2017, 10:48 AM   #5489
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nope, that looked like a much smaller one. 148 has been relocated before, but not that far from Canmore, I don't think.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 11:14 AM   #5490
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
We need to upgrade my daughter's bike in the next couple weeks before she starts Pedalheads camp at the end of the month. She's 5 1/2 and is quite tall, she's outgrown her 16" Spawn bike and we were thinking of going up to a 20". We want a good bike for her again (she loved the Spawn bike) - something that is lightweight, cable brakes, etc. One of my husband's friends (who is an avid cyclist) got their daughter a Trek Superfly - does anyone else have other suggestions for us to look at?
Take a look at Frog bikes, a guy in Canmore does the distribution for them. They get rid of all the unecessary weight like suspension have have a really paired down frame as well. Really nice bikes.

Most of the brand name bikes are all pretty heavy relative to the Spawn and Frog.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:17 AM   #5491
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just stay away from dept store bikes with ####ty, heavy unneeded suspension systems.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 11:35 AM   #5492
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Just stay away from dept store bikes with ####ty, heavy unneeded suspension systems.
Does that include MEC bikes? I haven't looked at their bikes in too much detail.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:41 AM   #5493
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
totally unrelated to biking, but I hope the day does not come where the CO's decide bear 148 has to be put down
Relocated Bear 148 again:

http://www.rmoutlook.com/article/Bea...again-20170731
Old 07-31-2017, 11:42 AM   #5494
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Somebody at work was mentioning getting steel belted tire for their bike. I tried to google them and can't find any. Was he making them up? Or are they just that hard to find?
Old 07-31-2017, 11:44 AM   #5495
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it was relocated Friday, why was the Legacy trail covered in warning signs all weekend?
Old 07-31-2017, 11:49 AM   #5496
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Somebody at work was mentioning getting steel belted tire for their bike. I tried to google them and can't find any. Was he making them up? Or are they just that hard to find?
Steel bead maybe? Or a motorbike...
Old 07-31-2017, 12:21 PM   #5497
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I know wire bead vs kevlar bead, that's kind of the bike version of steel belted
Old 07-31-2017, 03:52 PM   #5498
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couple of cycling tidbits I found today:

Velothon Edmonton - September 4

20km loop in downtown Edmonton. Part of the Tour of Alberta course. 60km and 100km races available. Looks cool, has anyone done this or planning on doing it?

New route to try:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1109767660

Spoiler!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXMLDZwjU5f/

Part of the Mattamy Greenway Loop, but the loop isn't completed yet so looks like some off roading and navigation was required.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:57 PM   #5499
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I want to do this loop; however, you would sure want to pick the right as it would be painful to be stuck on the far side of the city during a classic Calgary thunder and wind storm
Old 08-01-2017, 07:47 AM   #5500
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
Does that include MEC bikes? I haven't looked at their bikes in too much detail.
MECs are probably half decent.
Closed Thread