Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2015, 09:29 PM   #221
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Your asking for them to play hard.

The all star game is about getting to know the players and having fun, not a hockey game. It's the same as the pro bowl. All yourself, do you really want Gio and Johnny taking a hit from Getzlaf, Kopitar, Weber, etc? Do you want them to block shots from Weber? Cross checks from standing on front of the net? Most players pay banged up throughout the year. How many teams are going to want to send their best player to an event where they could get hurt when they could be banged up anyways.

This is what the all star game is. Lots and lots of people are saying wow. They interviewed people there taking it in yesterday and they all did (XM Radio). I'm not sure what you want. If you want players to play hard, you simply aren't going to get it.
The NFL Pro Bowl was on tonight as well. It is quite a bit different. The players actually seem to care about the game and about winning. They play hard and with intensity. It actually didn't appear to be that much different from a regular game.

Of course the timing of the Pro Bowl is much different in that they play it at the end of the season.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:37 PM   #222
Wammer
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
The NFL Pro Bowl was on tonight as well. It is quite a bit different. The players actually seem to care about the game and about winning. They play hard and with intensity. It actually didn't appear to be that much different from a regular game.

Of course the timing of the Pro Bowl is much different in that they play it at the end of the season.
The players in the Pro Bowl get paid. $55000 if their team wins and $33000(IIRC). So that probably plays a part in it. Even though that's just a drop in the bucket for what the majority of those guys make, money is motivation.
Wammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:50 PM   #223
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why did they ever get rid of the Young Stars game? That event should be brought back.

The Breakaway Challenge has potential, but I think judges need to be around so players are going to actually be creative and show off talent. Otherwise it's pointless to continue on with. Considering it's been a few years since the last one though, perhaps it'll be a better effort next year. If I recall correctly, the recent previous attempts were somewhat decent, but still room for improvement.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:56 PM   #224
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

There were judges one year, the first year I think, and I think that's when it was actually the best.

Then twitter became a thing and for some reason we let fans determine the winner.

And fans are dumb.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:13 PM   #225
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Don't they already get 5 days off during Christmas with strict rules against practicing and traveling? Isn't that good enough?
They can't travel or practice from the 24th-26th. That's hardly recovery or family time. It's a perfect opportunity for the NHL to make the Winter Classic relevant again. No games from the 24th to 31st, and have the Winter Classic restart play.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:20 PM   #226
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

IMO if the all-star week is "for the fans" why not just give the players the time off to go and interact with their playing city/area. Call it fan appreciation week. Have a draw for STHs where the winners can play a game of shinny with the players. Send the players out to the greater city areas to meet those fans. Have numerous autograph events within the city. Just spit balling, but to me that would be more rewarding every year as a fan and I think players would enjoy it more.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:26 PM   #227
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger View Post
IMO if the all-star week is "for the fans" why not just give the players the time off to go and interact with their playing city/area. Call it fan appreciation week. Have a draw for STHs where the winners can play a game of shinny with the players. Send the players out to the greater city areas to meet those fans. Have numerous autograph events within the city. Just spit balling, but to me that would be more rewarding every year as a fan and I think players would enjoy it more.
Because the NHL doesn't make enough money with this suggestion.
jg13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:33 PM   #228
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Because the NHL doesn't make enough money with this suggestion.
Is the ASG even that big of a cash generator? Legitimately curious here.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:53 PM   #229
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Meanwhile in Russia...

Maybe the reason the Slam Dunk Contest works and the breakaway challenge doesn't is that the Slam Dunk Contest has judging? Perhaps we won't see Tarasenko sliding it in from a distance on a blindfolded goalie if he knows Wayne Greztky is going to be holding up a 2/10 if he does.
If they went the judge route you'd need guys who wernt afraid to give a 2. Make sure these guys actually judge what is deserved and not the easy PC vote. Also give the shooters time to prepare. I think it has potential just don't let it get gimmicky where props outweigh the actual play. Would also help to add incentive. Every player is playing for a charity or a specific deserving individual. The main difference with the NBA dunk contest is that it actually means something to win. It has a long history. The way the NHL has it set up guys just do whatever comes to mind and don't really care about the result. Definitely none of the same passion you see with the dunk comp. That all has to start somewhere though.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:37 AM   #230
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There's a simple way to make the shootout competition better: prize money. Something that will actually capture the players attention. Say $250,000 to the winner would make for great television. Offer the goalies $5,000 per save and suddenly they'll care as well. Ban shooting so that the players actually have to deke to score.

Watching Datsyuk duel Price or Kane streak in on Rask with both actually trying would be a spectacle. Stop the days of Tarasenko passing the puck in on a blindfolded goalie. Are either of their skills really on display when he does this? Do fans want to watch Ovechkin in sun glasses and a beach hat or swing wildly at pucks like Ryan Howard does a changeup?
Old 01-26-2015, 02:46 AM   #231
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is the ASG even that big of a cash generator? Legitimately curious here.
Here's the pricing information for this year's game...

Each ticket was good for entrance to both the skills competition and the All Star game itself.

The game's official attendance was 18,901. Assuming all tickets were sold out at full price, and half were at the higher price and half were at the lower price, the weekend would have generated over $4.3 million.

Some tickets would have been comped, so the exact dollar amount is tough to know, but it's probably close to that. Most of the comped tickets would have gone to the sponsors, so they would have made more money from them than the price of a few free tickets.

They would have also sold quite a bit of ASG specific merchandise over the weekend.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:12 AM   #232
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Since the ASG weekend is interpreted by most players not involved as a mid-season vacation, I seriously doubt it.

Quote:
There's a simple way to make the shootout competition better: prize money. Something that will actually capture the players attention. Say $250,000 to the winner would make for great television. Offer the goalies $5,000 per save and suddenly they'll care as well. Ban shooting so that the players actually have to deke to score.
This has the potential to make it a great event, but the dollar figure is not realistic, nor is the mandate to "ban shooting." Perhaps alternatively restrictions could be set on taking shots from only past the hashmarks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:14 AM   #233
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Here's the pricing information for this year's game...

Each ticket was good for entrance to both the skills competition and the All Star game itself.

The game's official attendance was 18,901. Assuming all tickets were sold out at full price, and half were at the higher price and half were at the lower price, the weekend would have generated over $4.3 million.

Some tickets would have been comped, so the exact dollar amount is tough to know, but it's probably close to that. Most of the comped tickets would have gone to the sponsors, so they would have made more money from them than the price of a few free tickets.

They would have also sold quite a bit of ASG specific merchandise over the weekend.
Since it is a corporate schmooze, I would expect that the NHL also brokers a lot of high value deals with sponsors and such during the ASG weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #234
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

One consideration you need to make with winning a prize is that it may take away from the creativity. I think you need to make that the motivating factor. So maybe have judges scoring on creativity and give the actual goal a value as well. Might not be the perfect set up but I think the creativity should be rewarded most because that's what we all want to see. A deke or move we haven't seen before or at minimum not something run of the mill. Your standard through the legs shot is about as exciting as a slap shot these days. Been done too many times.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:33 AM   #235
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also prize money should go to charity of players choice not the player. Better optics.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2015, 10:44 AM   #236
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Since the ASG weekend is interpreted by most players not involved as a mid-season vacation, I seriously doubt it.
Regular players have 4 days off for the break. Giving them a week with no practices, and relatively minor community commitments is something I doubt they'll be upset about. Furthermore, I'm sure the usual all stars will find it preferable to flying across the country.

Quote:
This has the potential to make it a great event, but the dollar figure is not realistic, nor is the mandate to "ban shooting." Perhaps alternatively restrictions could be set on taking shots from only past the hashmarks.
The figures are flexible. It just needs to be enough to capture the players' attention. I'm sure they could find sponsorship money that would cover most if not all of it. The important thing here is that the players would actually have enough incentive to win. Ask Lexus to donate a car, do whatever. Get their attention.

Your shooting proposal makes more sense though. Banning shooting entirely would negate the effectiveness of some moves.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:45 AM   #237
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
Also prize money should go to charity of players choice not the player. Better optics.
I'm sure the players would go for it and some sponsor wouldn't mind signing a big cheque with their name plastered on it for X,000,000 to a charity.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:51 AM   #238
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
One consideration you need to make with winning a prize is that it may take away from the creativity. I think you need to make that the motivating factor. So maybe have judges scoring on creativity and give the actual goal a value as well. Might not be the perfect set up but I think the creativity should be rewarded most because that's what we all want to see. A deke or move we haven't seen before or at minimum not something run of the mill. Your standard through the legs shot is about as exciting as a slap shot these days. Been done too many times.
Look at the dunk contest in the NBA. Over the years the contest became less and less creative. It became a gimmick fest with 1-2 new dunks every year. The shootout challenge is going down the exact same path now.

Centering the contest on scoring, with parameters set to encourage highlight reel dekes is about the best you can do with this. Having Toews, Kane, Datsyuk, Malkin, Crosby or whoever all going head to head for big charity money against the games best goaltenders will actually be entertaining.

Shootouts are an awful way to decide a game but they are exciting. Bring that excitement front and centre with the games best players. It's a winning formula.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:54 AM   #239
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/boomer-m...all-star-game/
Johnny was planning on lighting his blade on fire, didn't get the request in time for the NHL to approve it.

Lawyers
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2015, 04:48 PM   #240
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/boomer-m...all-star-game/
Johnny was planning on lighting his blade on fire, didn't get the request in time for the NHL to approve it.

Lawyers
I hope Johnny does it at his next all-star game. This would be the Youtube moment the NHL is looking for.

He needs to engineer a hockey stick like an Olympic torch with flames shooting out of the bottom. This will invent a new extreme version of hockey with all players playing with their stick on fire. This will known as the game called "Johnny HockeyTM". The trademark makes sense now...
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote