Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2017, 10:28 AM   #1
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:
Default Shootings in Calgary?

I follow Global news, CTV etc on twitter and see some kind of shooting there weekly or so. Obviously here in AZ this stuff happens practically daily in the bad 'hoods (West valley) but I can't remember any of this stuff happening before I moved. Primarily just viet gangs stabbing each other for the most part.

Wassup with all the guns up there? What changed?
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:33 AM   #2
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Weekly? It happens like 6 times a year. Not sure if it's especially higher this year, maybe closer to monthly, but gun violence is exceptionally low.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 10:34 AM   #3
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of it IMO seems to be wannabe gangsters who get offended at the slightest things and decide to shoot people.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:36 AM   #4
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Calgary is a dangerous place, you guys. There are ~30 murders a year here so you have about a 0.003% chance of being slain. Also, the fast food and cooler selection here is sub par.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #5
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you sure you just aren't reading the same tweet once a week or so?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:39 AM   #6
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
Calgary is a dangerous place, you guys. There are ~30 murders a year here so you have about a 0.003% chance of being slain. Also, the fast food and cooler selection here is sub par.
You walk down the street, you get shot. Rapists around every dark corner, murders in every alleyway. It's madness.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:40 AM   #7
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

It's like a jungle sometimes it makes me wonder how I keep from going under.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #8
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

There was a shooting last night at Juliet's Castle on 16th Ave.

It does feel like we're getting at least a couple a month this year but I couldn't find where to look up gun violence in Calgary that didn't involve deaths.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:43 AM   #9
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we just tell you that where you live now is amazing and Calgary is a ####hole will you go away?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 10:43 AM   #10
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
You walk down the street, you get shot. Rapists around every dark corner, murders in every alleyway. It's madness.
I mowed my lawn the other day. Got shot.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #11
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Weekly? It happens like 6 times a year. Not sure if it's especially higher this year, maybe closer to monthly, but gun violence is exceptionally low.
What? Perhaps shooting deaths but in terms of shooting there's a lot more than 6 times a year.

Earlier today the 16th avenue shooting. The Beltline shooting the day before Canada Day. 2 days before that was the Sunalta shooting. The nightclub shooting after the guy was rejected by a group of girls happened the day before that. That's all in the last 2 weeks.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 10:53 AM   #12
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
What? Perhaps shooting deaths but in terms of shooting there's a lot more than 6 times a year.

Earlier today the 16th avenue shooting. The Beltline shooting the day before Canada Day. 2 days before that was the Sunalta shooting. The nightclub shooting after the guy was rejected by a group of girls happened the day before that. That's all in the last 2 weeks.
I think the actual number may fall somewhere between 6 times a year and once a week. It's just a hunch though, as it's literally impossible to back up this argument.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:59 AM   #13
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Here's a quick tally of the news stories that mentioned shootings. I'm sure I'm missing some. 2 or 3 per month seems to be the norm. Not a lot compared to other cities but more than I like to see.

January 17 - 1 dead
January 19 - No injuries
January 24 - 1 dead
February 11 - 1 injured
February 23 - 1 dead
February 28 - 1 injured
March 3 - No injuries
March 17 - No injuries
April 13 - 1 injury
April 22 - 4 injured
April 28 - No injuries
May 20 - 1 injured
May 22 - 2 dead
June 4 - 1 dead, 2 injured
June 30 - 1 injured
June 30 - No injuries
July 11 - 2 injured
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 11:01 AM   #14
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I think the actual number may fall somewhere between 6 times a year and once a week. It's just a hunch though, as it's literally impossible to back up this argument.
What are you going on about? I'm not suggesting Calgary is a warzone or really anything, I just thought it was stupid to suggest it happens 6 times a year when there were 4 known shootings in the last 2 weeks that I could call off the top of my head.

We also got the basketball court one that was maybe a month ago, the Elbow Drive one and of course the Superstore homicides during May long. So there's been at least 7 in the last 2 months.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:08 AM   #15
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What are you going on about? I'm not suggesting Calgary is a warzone or really anything, I just thought it was stupid to suggest it happens 6 times a year when there were 4 known shootings in the last 2 weeks that I could call off the top of my head.

We also got the basketball court one that was maybe a month ago, the Elbow Drive one and of course the Superstore homicides during May long. So there's been at least 7 in the last 2 months.
OP said it happens weekly, PepsiFree said it happens 6 times a year.

If only we kept accurate stats on how many shootings happened we could get to the bottom of it. Maybe one day.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:10 AM   #16
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Seven incidents in two months would translate to about 8 firearms incidents per 100,000 population over a year. Toronto sits around 11 or 12 I think.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:10 AM   #17
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
I follow Global news, CTV etc on twitter and see some kind of shooting there weekly or so. Obviously here in AZ this stuff happens practically daily in the bad 'hoods (West valley) but I can't remember any of this stuff happening before I moved. Primarily just viet gangs stabbing each other for the most part.

Wassup with all the guns up there? What changed?

You left, making Calgary infinitely worse and more dangerous. On the other hand the awesomeness scale of Gilbert Arizona has gone up inversely.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:13 AM   #18
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If only we kept accurate stats on how many shootings happened we could get to the bottom of it. Maybe one day.
The OP said he's recently seen it being reported that there's been a shooting happening "weekly or so" there's been 7 shootings in less than 2 months. Most people would consider that "weekly or so." At least for the near past. OP was not wrong with his assertion.

PepsiFree stated it only happens 6 times a year, an entirely inaccurate number that's already been proven to be wrong. We're looking at probably 20 already this year.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #19
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Apple needs to get on adding a gun app to the iPhone. Then pulling the trigger could live tweet, stream video of the location, and register the GPS coordinates of the shot and the bullet in a police log. iPhones are getting so thin and light that perhaps for safety reasons a bluetooth gun would be better as opposed to the gun being built into the phone. Think of all the pocket dialing injuries!
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #20
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
Seven incidents in two months would translate to about 8 firearms incidents per 100,000 population over a year. Toronto sits around 11 or 12 I think.
That's great, again, I never made any argument that Calgary is unsafe or anywhere near that. I'm just pointing out a factual inaccuracy in PepsiFree's post that's already been proven to be wrong.

I get it, Calgary is safe. That does not mean there's 6 shootings a year though. Facts guys.

Seven incidents in two months would also translate to about "weekly or so" which is what OP said and was mocked for saying so. He wasn't wrong, at least not over the last couple of months, but didn't stop people from mocking him.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 07-11-2017 at 11:18 AM.