Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2016, 06:02 PM   #221
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Up until the past year things were good. The game would ship the day before from Richmond and I would have it delivered before lunch. Then it seemed like everything is getting shipped from Ontario and arrives a week or more later.
I inquired about the shipping delay and was advised that it was an internal error. They are upgrading me to 1 day shipping for free.

Nice of them to get back to me relatively quickly with good resolution.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:10 PM   #222
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
I inquired about the shipping delay and was advised that it was an internal error. They are upgrading me to 1 day shipping for free.

Nice of them to get back to me relatively quickly with good resolution.
My order status is now changed to 'Preparing for Shipment" so it should be sent out tomorrow hopefully. As long as they don't send it from Ontario I should get it by Friday.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:56 PM   #223
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Discovered an odd glitch where I got tripped during a breakaway, got the penalty shot and then my opponent also went short handed. One infraction - two penalties.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:12 AM   #224
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks like I got stuck with the same internal error you did with Amazon. They've upgraded my shipping to Priority and it'll be shipped out tomorrow and I'll have it by Friday.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:16 AM   #225
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Got 10 packs yesterday when I plugged in my disc. Can't believe the good cards I'm getting this year and probably have the best starting team I've ever had in NHL HUT off the hop.

Pulled:
Thornton
McDavid
Sedin
Radulov
E Kane
O'reilly
Radulov
Brodie
Lindholm
Larsson
All I've ever found is ahl players and 4th liners/7th D so I just gave up.
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:21 AM   #226
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually opened the starter pack just to see. Best player in there was Nick Bonino, 84. Most guys were 78-80. Tried a game, got crushed by someone with Nash, Nugent-Hopkins, Hall, Kane, Burns, Josi, Kadri, Huberdeau, Barkov etc etc etc. Doubt there was anyone on my team that was as good as his worst player. Probably just spent $100 on packs or something right out of the gate. Outshot him, but there's only so much you can do.

This is why this mode is terrible.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:38 AM   #227
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can I ask why you guys order these games from websites when there always seems to be delays in shipping? Why not just go to the store on the day it's released and buy it? I remember being a kid and some games were often not available due to being sold out, but that's not usually an issue anymore is it?
Old 09-15-2016, 11:07 AM   #228
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I actually opened the starter pack just to see. Best player in there was Nick Bonino, 84. Most guys were 78-80. Tried a game, got crushed by someone with Nash, Nugent-Hopkins, Hall, Kane, Burns, Josi, Kadri, Huberdeau, Barkov etc etc etc. Doubt there was anyone on my team that was as good as his worst player. Probably just spent $100 on packs or something right out of the gate. Outshot him, but there's only so much you can do.

This is why this mode is terrible.
I haven't even stepped into an online game yet. I usually don't for the first month or two while I build up coins in single player seasons. This year the draft champions mode is a nice addition to get bonus stuff for hut in single player mode. Until I have a solid team I won't jump into online games.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:48 AM   #229
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
Can I ask why you guys order these games from websites when there always seems to be delays in shipping?
E3 sales, I'll never spend $80 on a game. 90% of the time I get the game the day it's released.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2016, 02:09 PM   #230
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I didn't play last years and I only played 15 on the old gen, because it kept GM Connected.

I think it's more or less the same game, which is good, but honestly the same outfit shouldn't be putting out the same game every year. They're just not making enough improvements each year.

But can't complain about being back in EASHL!
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:49 PM   #231
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I didn't play last years and I only played 15 on the old gen, because it kept GM Connected.

I think it's more or less the same game, which is good, but honestly the same outfit shouldn't be putting out the same game every year. They're just not making enough improvements each year.

But can't complain about being back in EASHL!
I'm pretty much already bored with it. I mean it's a decent game but it hasn't really changed in years. Kind of regret buying it and I've haven't missed a year since... ever. I've been playing this series since NHL hockey on the PC (92/93 season), and I'm feeling just done with it. Franchise mode needs major changes.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:55 PM   #232
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I feel like EA should talk to the makers of MLB the show for some pointers on how to make a franchise mode. I'm 15% baseball fan and 85% hockey but I'm back to the show 16 already. Such a great franchise mode, though not without shortcomings.

Maybe it's for the best. If EA put out an NHL game that was half as good as the show, I would probably die from infections due to bed sores.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2016, 02:55 PM   #233
Stormageddon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I never get a chance to play video games anymore, maybe when I get a bigger house. Haven't bought NHL since 13 I think.

One thing that always irritated me was how much better the Madden games were than NHL. I haven't bought Madden for almost 10 years. But they have had some great feature for years that I wished NHL had.

Team relocation for one, always relocated my team to Calgary right away. You would then design your own Jersey's, stadium, right down to how much you charged for beer, jersey's, etc. You even had to adjust the team/stadium funding in a way that would allow it be approved by the new City.

You have to hire coaches/coordinators. I can't even remember the other features it's been so long. Why can the NHL games not have this? It's the same freaking company!
Stormageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stormageddon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2016, 03:09 PM   #234
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
I feel like EA should talk to the makers of MLB the show for some pointers on how to make a franchise mode. I'm 15% baseball fan and 85% hockey but I'm back to the show 16 already. Such a great franchise mode, though not without shortcomings.

Maybe it's for the best. If EA put out an NHL game that was half as good as the show, I would probably die from infections due to bed sores.
Yeah, this is why EA needs a competitor, like 2K. I think the problem is that hockey has always been challenging in terms of physics over other sports. Football is guys lined up stops and starts in a square grass field with no boards and a ball that's pretty slow. Baseball is fairly static too. Hockey is on ice, with a laser-fast puck, surrounding by boards, and there's really no limit as to where the players are and how they play.

I think once they found the right engine in terms of physics, they can build more details. It seems like they're always trying to build more realistic checks, deflections, fights, shot blocks, tripping over each other, etc. rather than make the features that make it fun and addicting, like RPG details.

And how did they screw up the stick lift?
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2016, 03:12 PM   #235
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They need to let you move your franchise and BAP save over to the newer version too like in the MLB: The Show. It's pretty annoying how you have to start over every year. They came up with a a pretty simple way of dealing with retired players too. Just code it in that it looks for those players and changes their name before converting the file.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:20 PM   #236
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Yeah, this is why EA needs a competitor, like 2K. I think the problem is that hockey has always been challenging in terms of physics over other sports. Football is guys lined up stops and starts in a square grass field with no boards and a ball that's pretty slow. Baseball is fairly static too. Hockey is on ice, with a laser-fast puck, surrounding by boards, and there's really no limit as to where the players are and how they play.

I think once they found the right engine in terms of physics, they can build more details. It seems like they're always trying to build more realistic checks, deflections, fights, shot blocks, tripping over each other, etc. rather than make the features that make it fun and addicting, like RPG details.

And how did they screw up the stick lift?
Honestly, I've been mostly happy with the way the game plays, especially since the skill stick. The rest of the game seems so stale and unchanging though.

It's not even the stuff they don't change, it's the stuff they don't FIX. I wonder if they've fixed player progression yet? You can't even play past year 5 because all good young players develop into 99 speed, 99 acceleration, 99 shot power, 99 accuracy, face offs don't develop at all, strength doesn't develop at all... just ridiculous. Also, no career statistics tracking and no ability to track your team's yearly stats after you advance to the next season. It's 2016 FFS.

What we do get is a half baked morale system and the ability to set the price of hotdogs. It's like EA has enough money to buy tires for their car or paint it... and they paint it. It can't drive without wheels EA, forget about the paint!

For my money it doesn't get any better than nhl 2k3, nhl 2k4, nhl2k5 and nhl2k6. I miss that series so much. Better in pretty much every way.

Last edited by TheoFleury; 09-15-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:26 PM   #237
Stormageddon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
For my money it doesn't get any better than nhl 2k3, nhl 2k4, nhl2k5 and nhl2k6. I miss that series so much. Better in pretty much every way.
Totally agree. Those were top notch. It was a sad day when EA bought the rights to all NHL related things.
Stormageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stormageddon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2016, 03:39 PM   #238
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormageddon View Post
Totally agree. Those were top notch. It was a sad day when EA bought the rights to all NHL related things.
EA didn't buy the rights to NHL games like they did with Madden. 2K just stopped because they couldn't compete with EA anymore. They did make a mobile NHL game a couple years ago.

http://kotaku.com/5805685/nhl-2k12-aint-happening
Old 09-15-2016, 03:40 PM   #239
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

2k games were never as good as the EA version which is why they are not around anymore. 2k was a complete arcade sim though which is why I don't understand how they couldn't get enough of the market to keep releasing them. There are a lot of people who don't want a complete hockey sim.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:57 PM   #240
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
2k games were never as good as the EA version which is why they are not around anymore. 2k was a complete arcade sim though which is why I don't understand how they couldn't get enough of the market to keep releasing them. There are a lot of people who don't want a complete hockey sim.
2k7 didn't feel like an arcade sim. I recall having a full GM type team and playing a ton. The presentation and everything was top notch too.

I remember drafting or signing a European named Krystabol Pirate too. He was awesome.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TSXCman For This Useful Post: