Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #41
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
Blair Jones with 8 goals, 12 assists in 15 games with the Heat. Several big goals and the clear leader down there. The Flames have to give him another shot or move him. Otherwise the whole "meritocracy" thing becomes even more of a joke.

The same goes for Ortio: 8-0 with a better GAA and save percentage than Berra had with the Heat (let alone the Flames). Berra has been mariginally better than Ramo or MacDonald but hardly invincible. If Ramo's not going to play, how about giving Ortio a shot? No waiver issues there.
For the Heat watchers out there. What type of game has Blair Jones been playing? Is he in an offensive role (1st/2nd line) or is he producing as a 3rd/4th liner?

I'd like to see him up too as he's a big guy and can skate and obviously has some offense, but if he's having success in an offensive role in Abbotsford, and you bring him up to play on the 4th line, doesn't seem to make much sense.

Is Blair Jones a better option than Backlund or Colborne in the roles they are playing now?

I can just see the outrage on this board if Jones was called up and replaced Backlund in the line up.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #42
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfx View Post
I don't want Ramo to take starts from Ortio
I guess this is true, Ortio has been incredible. I just hate seeing Ramo on the bench this much. I think he still has a lot of potential, but we'll never see it if he never plays.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #43
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Blair Jones with 8 goals, 12 assists in 15 games with the Heat. Several big goals and the clear leader down there. The Flames have to give him another shot or move him. Otherwise the whole "meritocracy" thing becomes even more of a joke.

The same goes for Ortio: 8-0 with a better GAA and save percentage than Berra had with the Heat (let alone the Flames). Berra has been mariginally better than Ramo or MacDonald but hardly invincible. If Ramo's not going to play, how about giving Ortio a shot? No waiver issues there.
Keep Ortio there for a while. Maybe call him up later in the year, but for now I just think he should be left in Abbotsford to pile up the wins and get as much playing time as possible. No reason to split up that team if they're winning pretty much every game.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #44
Bring_Back_Oliwa
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

FREE JONI!!!!!

The Future is Already Here
Old 11-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #45
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 27s
No Dubinsky tonight. #CBJ #Flames

Pat Steinberg ‏@Fan960Steinberg 9s
Bobrovsky starts for Columbus tonight.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #46
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

You're on the case bobrovsky!!
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #47
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So following the theme from this weekend... we are up 2-0 until with 3 minutes in left in the 3rd, we turn it over 7 times and Tom Erixon scores a touchdown of goals giving the BJs a 7-2 win.

Last edited by Bertuzzied; 11-20-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #48
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

We win tonight. I for one am glad for the late start, because I'm likely going to be working until just after the game starts ... now I only have to miss one period instead of 2.5.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #49
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting to see Berra drawing back in. Even if he's playing well, I think you have to give Ramo a game here and there to keep him sharp. Unless he establishes himself as the clearcut #1 (which I don't think he has yet), do you really want Berra playing 50-60 games this year?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #50
JobHopper
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

After a big win against the Jets last game and scoring 4 goals in regulation the Flames have to be feeling good about this game tonight.

I would look for Monahan, Baertschi and Berra to have good games and lead the way in this one tonight.

Flames win 5-2.
JobHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #51
JobHopper
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Interesting to see Berra drawing back in. Even if he's playing well, I think you have to give Ramo a game here and there to keep him sharp. Unless he establishes himself as the clearcut #1 (which I don't think he has yet), do you really want Berra playing 50-60 games this year?
He's still practicing with the big club so I won't worry about it to much. He'll get an opportunity.
JobHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #52
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm actually becoming a Jones fan. For reasons unknown Hartley banished him to the AHL seemingly for good and rather than pout ask for a trade, or become a distraction he's played with a chip on his shoulder and become a great soldier for the Heat organization. I imagine it will be like pulling teeth for Hartley to ever dress him again but at least Jones has taken the high road here.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #53
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Double-header tonight on SNW: QMJHL vs. Russia at 5, Flames/Jackets at 8.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #54
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobHopper View Post
He's still practicing with the big club so I won't worry about it to much. He'll get an opportunity.
Because that worked so well for the dozen or so goalies we had when Kipper was the starter?

Since Berra was called up, Ramo has played in only two games (one start in the second game of a back-to-back and one relief appearance). His overall numbers this season: 2-4-1, Sv% .882, GAA 3.59

Meanwhile, Berra has started 7 out of the last 8. His numbers: 2-4-1, Sv% .889, GAA 3.66.

I agree that numbers don't tell the whole story, and that Berra overall has played better that Ramo, but unless Berra is clearly outplaying Ramo in practice, I think Ramo needs a chance to step up his game in response to Berra's recent "success".
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #55
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm actually becoming a Jones fan. For reasons unknown Hartley banished him to the AHL seemingly for good and rather than pout ask for a trade, or become a distraction he's played with a chip on his shoulder and become a great soldier for the Heat organization. I imagine it will be like pulling teeth for Hartley to ever dress him again but at least Jones has taken the high road here.

I believe it's solely to do with his attitude/respect level. Jones see's himself as an offensive centerman, not a 4th line grinder. He can play the agitator role but has also got a very nice shot (backhand especially). Him being an agitator may easily translate to being snooty to coaching. My best guess is he demanded more ice-time and wasn't satisfied with his opportunity. He is a relatively young player with a unique skillset.

Unfortunately I don't see him coming back up unless we have several injuries up front or he's traded. Especially with Knight doing as well as he is. Not to mention Knight is the best face-off man in the Flames system which we desperately need right now.

Back onto topic, I have a good feeling about this game. Berra seemed so happy and relieved to get the SO win. I'm sure he doesn't want this one to even be close.

5-2 Flames.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #56
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

4-1 Flames. Flames will finally get their fewest goals against this season against one of the worst in the league fresh off a shutout-blowout from one of the other worst teams in the league.

Columbus stays in the game until they get scored on, then fold.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #57
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
You're on the case bobrovsky!!
Hope the Flames kick him off the force.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #58
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Let Ortio build that confidence. Maybe he can get them on another 6-7 game win streak. Let him own it down there, and then when Gio is back and this D is up to snuff again then we allow him to come in for some NHL games and at least get some half decent defending in front of him. Berra's done great for the quality of defending we've been providing, but I wouldn't want to expose an even younger goalie to that amount of shots and quality chances each night. We're really exposing our goalies as things are. So let's ease him in when the situation is a bit more favorable.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #59
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

How old is ortio?
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #60
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Hope the Flames kick him off the force.
I want to see him as a loose canon! when was the last time a Flames goalie fought? Kipper vs Vogoon?

I don't think the Noodles woodchopping Franzen started anything.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gtd , winwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin