Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2016, 11:38 PM   #101
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Just horrible
Old 12-29-2016, 05:58 AM   #102
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still one of my most favorite musical scenes ever. Debbie Reynolds was all of 19 years old and she had only been dancing for 3 months, compared to Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor who had been dancing for several decades.

Quote:
"My feet were bleeding from all that dancing and when I pointed it out, Gene would say 'Clean it up!' He was very sentimental like that!”
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:59 AM   #103
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This sums up Carrie Fisher's unfiltered mind.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:44 PM   #104
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/...author-w457929
The Following User Says Thank You to ricosuave For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2017, 09:36 AM   #105
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Watched A New Hope last night, CC's Dad was right, she is the toughest character.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:13 AM   #106
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Watched A New Hope last night, CC's Dad was right, she is the toughest character.
Yeah, with a young daughter I think more these days about role models for girls in film. It's great that TFA and R1 have strong female leads, but when you watch ANH she was decades ahead there.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:48 PM   #107
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Really sad to read in terms of Carrie Fisher's cause of death.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...t-reveals.html

Quote:
Carrie Fisher's autopsy report shows the actress had cocaine, heroin and MDMA in her system prior to her death.

Investigators could not determine what impact the drugs found in her system had on her death.

The report released Monday states Fisher may have taken cocaine three days before the Dec. 23 flight on which she became ill. She died four days later.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:48 PM   #108
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Really sad to read in terms of Carrie Fisher's cause of death.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...t-reveals.html
Bah...she had a rough ride, I wont hold it against her.

That was a tough fight and she lived a good, albeit turbulent, life.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 08:55 PM   #109
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:21 PM   #110
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

It certainly doesn't change my opinion of her, but it's really effing stupid to do cocaine, heroine, and MDMA at all, never mind together, never mind at age 60. People should know better, but let's not act like it doesn't matter.

Can't deal with mental illness pretending that none of that happened.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 09:22 PM   #111
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I get what you're all saying, but I guess my question is where was her support system? She fought so long and so hard to fight her demons and come out the other side better and stronger then ever, and then to end up having those drugs as a what might be a contributing factor to her death to me is sad.

I'm not condemning her, I'm not sitting here saying once a junkie always a junkie, we know addicts can fall, but where was the support system.

In the end its laudable that we admire her for a tough battle, but really in the end she didn't win, she didn't beat those demons.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:38 AM   #112
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beloved celebrities seem to get a pass for being messed up addicts. How many people applauding Fisher's 'courage' in her struggle would feel the same about their wife's scuzzy uncle Terry who's always hammered at family functions, neglects his family, can't hold down a job, and says inappropriate things at Thanksgiving?

Self-destructive people are sad. But I don't feel any particular need to lionize them simply because they're popular entertainers. We do have free will, even if some people have a tougher time exercising it than others.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 06-20-2017 at 09:40 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #113
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Suggesting that drug abuse is a reasonable way to cope with mental health issues is a new brand of idiocy.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 09:47 AM   #114
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

One thing I noticed watching friends and family who have struggled with addiction is that when that addiction has a hold of them they will avoid those they know that want to stop it and surround themselves with those who will support it/join them. Usually those are degenerates or fellow addicts who have also fallen off the wagon, so no good decisions are being made at that point.

I am assuming at this point Carrie was surrounding herself with the wrong people, and while she might have had a support system it probably either wasn't aware or was aware to late of what was going on to stop it. I thought I read that her brother was with her on the plane? Perhaps he had gotten to her after a bender but the damage was already done.

Seems so weird she would go back there at this time in her life, Star Wars was back, she seemed so happy on set and apparently everyone reported she seemed full of life. Do you think that going back to Leia awoke some sleeping demons that pushed her back to that life style? Or did she just never leave it in the first place and it was a ticking time bomb?
Old 06-20-2017, 09:50 AM   #115
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you think that going back to Leia awoke some sleeping demons that pushed her back to that life style? Or did she just never leave it in the first place and it was a ticking time bomb?
Maybe she just really liked being high.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #116
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
One thing I noticed watching friends and family who have struggled with addiction is that when that addiction has a hold of them they will avoid those they know that want to stop it and surround themselves with those who will support it/join them. Usually those are degenerates or fellow addicts who have also fallen off the wagon, so no good decisions are being made at that point.

I am assuming at this point Carrie was surrounding herself with the wrong people, and while she might have had a support system it probably either wasn't aware or was aware to late of what was going on to stop it. I thought I read that her brother was with her on the plane? Perhaps he had gotten to her after a bender but the damage was already done.

Seems so weird she would go back there at this time in her life, Star Wars was back, she seemed so happy on set and apparently everyone reported she seemed full of life. Do you think that going back to Leia awoke some sleeping demons that pushed her back to that life style? Or did she just never leave it in the first place and it was a ticking time bomb?
I've read some books on addiction, and I'm by no means an expert, but I've had some friends go through their own battles.

With a lot of families and "support Groups" they eventually give up on their goal of getting their family member or friend off of the drugs, and enable again in the hopes that they can lesson the harm that a person does to themselves.

A person's battle with addiction is a family and friends wide war and all sides come out scarred not matter what the result to the addict themselves.

There's this saying that a lot of people have that the addict has to hit "rock bottom" before they'll ask for help. But most people don't and can't watch a person suffer that much so they won't let them hit rock bottom, they'll literally cushion that fall no matter what the personal cost. Plus Rock Bottom pretty much equals dead.

Most times the best way to help a person is to make them see the personal and profound consequences of their addiction to themselves and others. But sometimes the "support group" won't take it that far because of the emotional cost.

I loved Carrier Fisher, she seemed like a wonderful, vibrant, smart tough woman, but I refuse to believe that her support system around her didn't see her fall. They were so linked with her through her battles that there was noway that they couldn't see the signs, and I wouldn't believe them if they said they were surprised about the autopsy reports.

I think she was profoundly let down by the people around her, but at the end of the day, Carrie made the choice to surrender her fight.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:55 AM   #117
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Beloved celebrities seem to get a pass for being messed up addicts. How many people applauding Fisher's 'courage' in her struggle would feel the same about their wife's scuzzy uncle Terry who's always hammered at family functions, neglects his family, can't hold down a job, and says inappropriate things at Thanksgiving?

Self-destructive people are sad. But I don't feel any particular need to lionize them simply because they're popular entertainers. We do have free will, even if some people have a tougher time exercising it than others.
Its one of the few genuine windows we get into someone's life thats more or less unfiltered.

Most people would likely be proud of 'Scuzzy Uncle Terry' if he managed to clean up his act and turn his life around.

Which Fisher did. For a time.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:08 PM   #118
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I've read some books on addiction, and I'm by no means an expert, but I've had some friends go through their own battles.

With a lot of families and "support Groups" they eventually give up on their goal of getting their family member or friend off of the drugs, and enable again in the hopes that they can lesson the harm that a person does to themselves.

A person's battle with addiction is a family and friends wide war and all sides come out scarred not matter what the result to the addict themselves.

There's this saying that a lot of people have that the addict has to hit "rock bottom" before they'll ask for help. But most people don't and can't watch a person suffer that much so they won't let them hit rock bottom, they'll literally cushion that fall no matter what the personal cost. Plus Rock Bottom pretty much equals dead.

Most times the best way to help a person is to make them see the personal and profound consequences of their addiction to themselves and others. But sometimes the "support group" won't take it that far because of the emotional cost.

I loved Carrier Fisher, she seemed like a wonderful, vibrant, smart tough woman, but I refuse to believe that her support system around her didn't see her fall. They were so linked with her through her battles that there was noway that they couldn't see the signs, and I wouldn't believe them if they said they were surprised about the autopsy reports.

I think she was profoundly let down by the people around her
, but at the end of the day, Carrie made the choice to surrender her fight.
Being the support system for somebody on a major years-long self-destructive downward slide is exhausting. Trying to help people is noble, but if it's clearly going to be futile on the eleventh time you've tried helping somebody you should walk away for your own sanity and for the people around you that are more deserving of your energy.

Fisher was a drugged-out mess for 40 years or something. This is on her 100% and not on her family and friends at all.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 12:53 PM   #119
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If I knew she was a heavy drug user for decades, then I'd imagine her family would have figured it out too.

She knew seeing her 70's was a long shot living that way, she did it anyways, nothing to praise or vilify here.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #120
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really struggle as to why it's any of our damn business what was in someone's system when they died.

And I'm not judging as I read the story like everyone else.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote