Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2016, 11:30 AM   #61
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Want to watch this one. The downhill is on Saturday am at like 530 EST.

Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames89 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #62
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The Le Mans movie on Netflix is great.

The music in it is laughably bad. Whoever picked the music for this movie should be ridiculed in the middle of the streets. It's a movie about high speed prototype racers racing at the max for 24 hours, car crashes and crippling fear, and they decided to go with something you'd expect in a Bridget Jones montage.

Seriously. Think of a knock off of that "Thousand Miles" song by Vanessa Carlton. Thats what they used.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:52 PM   #63
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
The Le Mans movie on Netflix is great.

The music in it is laughably bad. Whoever picked the music for this movie should be ridiculed in the middle of the streets. It's a movie about high speed prototype racers racing at the max for 24 hours, car crashes and crippling fear, and they decided to go with something you'd expect in a Bridget Jones montage.

Seriously. Think of a knock off of that "Thousand Miles" song by Vanessa Carlton. Thats what they used.
I keep seeing that on there but then I think, "Do I really want to watch a documentary about cars driving around a track for 24 hours?"

Based on your review I'm not sure I want to.

We watched this a few nights ago and really, really enjoyed it. I highly recommend it, Available on Netflix:

Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2016, 05:01 PM   #64
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The movie itself is actually really good. It follows a team throughout the 3 races that make up the Le Mans seasons.

Just the music. It's just... so bad.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:32 PM   #65
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched the Atari Documentary, I didnt think I'd like it because its not really my thing but it was fantastic.

As much as anything else theres a part where Ernest Cline is chilling out with George RR Martin and and ET doll in a DeLorean. It was pretty much like dividing by 'nerd zero.'

Thats a special zero that only nerds get to use.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:09 PM   #66
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Watched the Atari Documentary, I didnt think I'd like it because its not really my thing but it was fantastic.

As much as anything else theres a part where Ernest Cline is chilling out with George RR Martin and and ET doll in a DeLorean. It was pretty much like dividing by 'nerd zero.'

Thats a special zero that only nerds get to use.

I think there is something inherently satisfying about a treasure hunt, especially one that is successful like "Atari: Game Over" is. Kind of why people have the love/hate relationships with certain TLC or Discovery Channel shows.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:11 AM   #67
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I haven't seen it mentioned here, but Blackfish on Netflix is an excellent film

I knew I missed at least a couple in my original post. This is a great, if not heart-wrenching, film. Be prepared to never enjoy an animal show or zoo again. And that's not a bad thing.

It really affected the way I think I about animals, and the things we do to them for our own enjoyment or benefit. It's pretty sickening, but I think this is a film that everyone should watch.

I went to Sea World when I was 13 or 14, and I thought everything they were telling us was the truth, as it was supposedly an educational institution. Turns out they are just straight up lying.

My ex and I went to West Ed not long after watching this, and the sea lion show was about to start so she wanted to watch it. I couldn't stomach it, just knowing that those things are probably just put in cages and splashed with water every once in a while. And they are obviously extremely intelligent, just sitting in these little things. It really made me think, and be vocal, about we treat even the animals we are putting up for slaughter. I'll never be a vegetarian, but that doesn't mean we can't treat these things with some degree of humanity.

If you don't well up when the trainers talk about how they wanted to leave, but know they are the only true connection to these animals and can't do that to them and start to break down, you are dead inside.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:32 AM   #68
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I think there is something inherently satisfying about a treasure hunt, especially one that is successful like "Atari: Game Over" is. Kind of why people have the love/hate relationships with certain TLC or Discovery Channel shows.
Well, for me, the love/hate relationship I have with TLC and Discovery rests on their predication that the content is scientifically and historically grounded, when in actual fact, most of their shows are now sensationalised historical revisions, conspiracy nonsense, and side shows. It's actually more of a relationship of pure hatred now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:33 AM   #69
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Well, for me, the love/hate relationship I have with TLC and Discovery rests on their predication that the content is scientifically and historically grounded, when in actual fact, most of their shows are now sensationalised historical revisions, conspiracy nonsense, and side shows. It's actually more of a relationship of pure hatred now.

That's true. There are certainly good reasons to purely despise the programming that TLC / DC puts out under the guise of having some educational content.

It's ironic when Fox ("Cosmos") puts out a better science and education series than TLC and DC. The only vestige of old DC left is Daily Planet, if that's even still on.

Still, I think there is draw to things like the Oak Island show or seeing how much gold people can dig up. But what is missing and would be infinitely more entertaining and educational is a scientific approach to solving problems and not clumsy, accident-prone idiocy.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:56 AM   #70
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Watch Frank Zappa Crack Jokes, Talk Creativity in Doc Clip

Archival film 'Eat That Question' will premiere at Sundance

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-clip-20160121
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:42 AM   #71
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watch Blackfish, and then to cool down watch Gorillas in the Mist, and then back to the documentary world for The Cove. The next morning, go into work and try to explain the haunted look in your eyes.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:56 AM   #72
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing about Blackfish, and basically any film that ends up being that affecting, is that that is the deliberate point of the movie. It's a highly activist film. Now, obviously, a lot of the content is correct and from where I sit, the filmmakers' hearts are in the right place. But as a documentary - a film whose purposes is to inform viewers, rather than to propagandize to them - it has a whole slough of flaws. A quick google search reveals this.

Basically, whenever you watch a documentary that's obviously partisan, you should take it with a grain of salt... except for Going Clear. That sh##'s all true.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2016, 12:11 PM   #73
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I watched the Red Army documentary last night based on the numerous recommendations here. Definitely worth a watch.

Thanks for that and the other recommendations in this thread. Now if I only had enough time to watch most of them!
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2016, 12:50 PM   #74
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The thing about Blackfish, and basically any film that ends up being that affecting, is that that is the deliberate point of the movie. It's a highly activist film. Now, obviously, a lot of the content is correct and from where I sit, the filmmakers' hearts are in the right place. But as a documentary - a film whose purposes is to inform viewers, rather than to propagandize to them - it has a whole slough of flaws. A quick google search reveals this.

Basically, whenever you watch a documentary that's obviously partisan, you should take it with a grain of salt... except for Going Clear. That sh##'s all true.
I've read up on the flaws in the film, and to me they all seem to be beside the point. Most of them centre around how the film was cut for dramatic affect (splicing in 911 calls, fabricating certain aspects about whether or not people went into tanks with the animals willingly and if it's safe to do so, misleading about what Sea World today does vs Sea World of 30-40 years ago, etc..)

To me, these things are not really the point. IMO, any idiot should know that it's dangerous to enter a body of water with a predator like an Orca. Trainers are absolutely putting themselves at risk, and the few deaths that happened, while largely accidental, are to be expected when working with animals like this. I never really focused on that part of it.

The act of keeping these social and intelligent animals in secluded cages and pools barely big enough to fit them, 1000's of times smaller than what their natural territory size is supposed to be, is what I focused on. It's just straight up not OK, and there are going to predictably be psychological effects. These things have their own languages, they solve problems, they play, they have an intelligence that we just don't understand.

The fact that Sea World stopped taking from the wild some 35+ years ago, IMO, does not absolve them of the fact that they did, and now they and their young can't be placed back. "Well we took them, but now they can't survive out there so... are we good?" Is not cool. Plus there are still places all over the world that do this.

To me, it's less about damning Sea World itself (although there is plenty of that for sure), and more about the question of should we be taking and keeping ANY animals this way? There are research purposes absolutely, but only a small fraction need to be retained for those reasons.

As far as doing it for our entertainment, I don't agree with it. And doing so with conditions far outside of what is natural, It just gives me a really uneasy feeling.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:10 PM   #75
TomLeeMC
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Waking Life is a great watch.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:23 PM   #76
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

MattyC, I agree with you on the main issue that the movie's dealing with. The last paragraph in your post is the main point of the whole thing, and I'm right there with you:
Quote:
As far as doing it for our entertainment, I don't agree with it. And doing so with conditions far outside of what is natural, It just gives me a really uneasy feeling.
However, I am fundamentally and vehemently against deliberately lying and misleading people in an attempt to further an agenda - even an agenda I am in agreement with.

As you say, by all accounts - including those of people included in the movie and people who are, like us, in agreement that using these animals as an entertainment source is something that needs to stop - portions of the film were fabricated. Certain individuals made blatantly untrue statements staring into a camera. They presumably did this to further an ideological goal. I find that behaviour despicable, irrespective of the motive. I want to know the truth, and make up my own mind about the worthiness of the ideological goal.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:30 PM   #77
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched this on Netflix about vigilante groups on both sides of the border fighting against the cartels

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2016, 12:51 PM   #78
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

The New Rijksmuseum - a behind the scenes look at the troubled Rijksmuseum makeover, art, egos and Amsterdam civic politics. Not what you'd expect a museum documentary to be.

The Redemption of Jake the Snake. Sometimes difficult to watch Jake's battle with addiction but inspiring to watch him work with DDP through his yoga program and regaining his health and his life.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to longsuffering For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2016, 01:14 PM   #79
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Seven Five, about corrupt NYPD cops. Netflix Canada.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:51 PM   #80
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
The Seven Five, about corrupt NYPD cops. Netflix Canada.
This was really good. Definitely worth watching.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote