Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2017, 01:00 PM   #661
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

So that guy featured in that Vice/HBO video found out there's warrants for his arrest for or illegal use of gases, and injury by caustic agent or explosive (felonies).

So he posted a video where he's crying and scared he's going to be killed. At one point he says they're trying to be peaceful (which is why he threatens to kill people in the Vice video I guess) but their enemies will not stop, what options do they have left. Hmm.. maybe stop being a white supremacist? Admits he's been in prison before, why am I not surprised?

And I guess this guy was on Colbert, he was part of a group that harassed parking meter attendants and plugged meters before they got there for freedom. And harassed the city employees mercilessly and uploaded it to youtube to prove they were badasses. They harassed one who was former military so much he quit after a year of it.

Starts at about 1:40

Old 08-17-2017, 01:05 PM   #662
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to longsuffering For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2017, 01:16 PM   #663
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ezra's reply. I don't know much about him other than he likes to sue people, he invented the Rebel (which is a Canadian Breitbart?)and seems like he's kind of ######y- Not even sure its worth watching but it would be great if Canadian Breitbart is brought down if they are confirmed to be full of S*&t and on the take.
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:20 PM   #664
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Are you quite finished being a comic book character yet?
I guess not. I honestly don't see the difference. Both fighting forces were politcally aimed at abhorrent things but the actual soldiers were regular young men. There was to be some modicum of respect there, and I just can't agree with the standard that any action against monuments of any type is justified, historical significance and legality be damned.

The fact that these people are then lauding themselves as heroes, or comparing antifa to WW2 soldiers just irks me more.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:28 PM   #665
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's been interesting to notice that after that crying video, some on the alt-right have been starting to claim he's an FBI plant. You know, because obviously. Much better than to admit one of your leaders might, you know, be afraid and cry. It's just not very supreme for a white supremacist guy.

These guys are just so pathetic.

And yes, if you ever want to see pathetic examples of toxic gender BS, the same Christopher Cantell is a good source. Unsurprisingly enough, the white supremacist movement is super worried about the feminist scourge in a very rapey way.

Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:29 PM   #666
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
A lot of violence on both sides.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:32 PM   #667
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sigh.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/c...mjad-1.4249790
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:32 PM   #668
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

The Civil War *was* about states' rights - the right of the states to the institution of slavery. Similarly, these statues *are* historical remembrances - of the antebellum age where anyone white was superior to anyone black.

Neither statement legitimizes veneration of the past when complete and not deceptively shorn of their negative components. This technique of "true" but incomplete declarative statements is a favorite of ideologues of all kinds. The plain, simple truth should immediately arouse the deepest suspicion.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:34 PM   #669
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brilliant imagery.

Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:39 PM   #670
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
I guess not. I honestly don't see the difference. Both fighting forces were politcally aimed at abhorrent things but the actual soldiers were regular young men. There was to be some modicum of respect there, and I just can't agree with the standard that any action against monuments of any type is justified, historical significance and legality be damned.

The fact that these people are then lauding themselves as heroes, or comparing antifa to WW2 soldiers just irks me more.
I haven't heard the statue destroyers calling themselves heroes, nor anyone here for that matter. As for the statues, most of them were erected after WWI and after Birth Of A Nation came out and caused a reflowering of the KKK and white nationalism. They are a symbol of hate and a commemoration of a repugnant, murderous, inhuman and traitorous regime, much like all the confederate flags that started flying in southern state capitals during the Civil Rights movement in the 60s. It's about hate and always has been. No modicum of respect need be afforded these symbols. I wouldn't call these activists heroes, but I'm perfectly ok with their lawbreaking.

Don't take my word for it, just listen to the words of the great great grandchildren of Stonewall Jackson!

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...s_must_go.html
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:44 PM   #671
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
If there's one thing that's overturned power structures and systems of oppression in the past, it's definitely been acting obediently and deferential to the laws and authority figures perpetuating them.
The problem is folks like the sovereign citizen movement also sincerely believe they're the victims of state oppression. You can't have a society governed by the rule of law, except for those individuals who feel they're oppressed by the state.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #672
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
Sign our petition!
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #673
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ice Player View Post
I haven't heard the statue destroyers calling themselves heroes, nor anyone here for that matter. As for the statues, most of them were erected after WWI and after Birth Of A Nation came out and caused a reflowering of the KKK and white nationalism. They are a symbol of hate and a commemoration of a repugnant, murderous, inhuman and traitorous regime, much like all the confederate flags that started flying in southern state capitals during the Civil Rights movement in the 60s. It's about hate and always has been. No modicum of respect need be afforded these symbols. I wouldn't call these activists heroes, but I'm perfectly ok with their lawbreaking.

Don't take my word for it, just listen to the words of the great great grandchildren of Stonewall Jackson!

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...s_must_go.html
I mean, no one explicitly used the words hero but these people don't deserve admiration that has been expressed for breaking the law and tying up the court system.

And I agree, Birth of a Nation came out in 1915 and the second iteration of the Klan occurred shortly after, so that factored in on some statues surely but they should be exmained case by case. There's worse examples of Confederate statues, there's one of Nathan Bedford Forrest in Tennessee that has no reason for existing.

I guess what I'm taking issue with is I care about the legality, if Durham had voted to get rid of that statue I'd be all for it. The standard of indiscriminately destroying any and all Confederate anything is a dangerous one. Also Minnie calling them schmucks isn't right, some poor 17 year old conscript from Virginia with no slaves getting his head blown off isn't my idea of a schmuck.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:51 PM   #674
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
The Civil War *was* about states' rights - the right of the states to the institution of slavery. Similarly, these statues *are* historical remembrances - of the antebellum age where anyone white was superior to anyone black.

Neither statement legitimizes veneration of the past when complete and not deceptively shorn of their negative components. This technique of "true" but incomplete declarative statements is a favorite of ideologues of all kinds. The plain, simple truth should immediately arouse the deepest suspicion.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0d0d2cc84c952

Quote:
[The statue] was designed to intimidate African Americans and to reassure white Americans in a moment of rising black power.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2017, 01:52 PM   #675
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The problem is folks like the sovereign citizen movement also sincerely believe they're the victims of state oppression.
And they're idiots without any legitimate evidence to back up their claims, so who cares?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:53 PM   #676
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
And they're idiots without any legitimate evidence to back up their claims, so who cares?
In fairness, one can say the same of the Nazis that marched on Charlottesville.

The difference is that freemen on the land aren't exactly organized.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:54 PM   #677
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Neither are their thoughts or the reasons for their actions.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:54 PM   #678
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
I mean, no one explicitly used the words hero but these people don't deserve admiration that has been expressed for breaking the law and tying up the court system.

And I agree, Birth of a Nation came out in 1915 and the second iteration of the Klan occurred shortly after, so that factored in on some statues surely but they should be exmained case by case. There's worse examples of Confederate statues, there's one of Nathan Bedford Forrest in Tennessee that has no reason for existing.

I guess what I'm taking issue with is I care about the legality, if Durham had voted to get rid of that statue I'd be all for it. The standard of indiscriminately destroying any and all Confederate anything is a dangerous one. Also Minnie calling them schmucks isn't right, some poor 17 year old conscript from Virginia with no slaves getting his head blown off isn't my idea of a schmuck.
So maybe they should put up a plaque for him somewhere, maybe they could put it in one of the spots currently occupied by a statue of one of the men responsible for him being conscripted in the first place.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:55 PM   #679
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of people are bringing up WW2 to counter fascism. But let's keep in mind what happened in the interwar period. Many countries polarized into the extreme right and the extreme left. Fascism and Communists. Fighting in the streets, gunning each other down, collapsing into civil war. Russia, Germany, Italy, Spain.

Some liberal democracies resisted this polarization. Democracy survived in Great Britain, the Netherlands, the U.S., etc. because the center held, and liberal values prevailed against the simplistic dogma and inflammatory hatreds of the left and right. Abandoning liberalism to combat the far right is not a winning tactic.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:55 PM   #680
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In fairness, one can say the same of the Nazis that marched on Charlottesville.

Right. I'm just saying it's perfectly reasonable for people to judge acts of civil disobedience on their own merits as opposed to principle.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post: