Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2016, 05:16 PM   #641
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Your ignition switch battery has poor contacts. Take it out and clean the contacts with an eraser. . Or just use a BBQ lighter. Should be a slot on the front of your grill to put the lighter in. I gave up on my ignition switch a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I'm having trouble getting my BBQ started lately.

The BBQ directions state that the main burner has to be set to high before hitting the ignition switch. But the problem is, the ignition switch isn't doing anything until numerous tries, which then finally results in a giant flame which almost burns me. The BBQ will not start unless the main burner is set to high. I don't want to get blown up or burnt, the BBQ should start with one hit of the. Ignition switch and not s giant flame.

Any idea how to fix that?
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:38 PM   #642
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

I have spent enough time fixing the electronic lighter on my Weber Genesis that I've stopped bothering. A grill lighter kept indoors is much more reliable and also quite cheap. The inconvenience of fixing the on board lighter is far greater than just keeping a few packs of grill lighters in a kitchen drawer.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:07 PM   #643
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone seen one of these locally?
I need a new one, and none of the stores or their websites have them (that I've checked). BBQ's galore, Home Depot, Canadian Tire, Walmart.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:53 PM   #644
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just did some chickens on my Weber smoker. 300F for about an hour forty five with pecan wood, I find low and slow isn't as good with poultry. Came out juicy and just a nice hint of smoke.

Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hanni For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2017, 11:01 AM   #645
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can someone help me figure out WTF I'm doing wrong? I'm having big issues with everything I put on it sticking to it like I've sprayed gorilla glue on the grill prior to cooking. Bought a new BroilKing with cast iron grills. "Seasoned" them as per the sales guys instructions (brush with veg oil both sides, light BBQ and warm up to 300 and leave it for a half hour) Everytime I'm done I crank the heat a bit and clean with a brush before and after. I even re-coated it with oil again start of this season.

Any suggestions?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #646
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Can someone help me figure out WTF I'm doing wrong? I'm having big issues with everything I put on it sticking to it like I've sprayed gorilla glue on the grill prior to cooking. Bought a new BroilKing with cast iron grills. "Seasoned" them as per the sales guys instructions (brush with veg oil both sides, light BBQ and warm up to 300 and leave it for a half hour) Everytime I'm done I crank the heat a bit and clean with a brush before and after. I even re-coated it with oil again start of this season.

Any suggestions?
I also have a broil king with cast iron. I spray on a little oil prior to putting the food on and it doesn't stick at all.

Although if I forget I am reminded when the food sticks haha.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:07 AM   #647
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Any suggestions?
I always give the grill a wipe with a towel dipped in oil every time I grill, after the grill is preheated. Are you flipping your meats too soon? What types of meat are you having problems with for sticking? most foods will "lift" off the grill if you leave it for ~5 mins before flipping/moving.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to me_dennis For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2017, 11:08 AM   #648
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Try seasoning with flax oil. Some oils, like grapeseed oil actually get really sticky. Are you attempting to turn the meat too soon? It should release when it is ready to be turned.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:11 AM   #649
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're not letting the food sit out for a bit to get to room temperature, try that, along with the other suggestions. I've found things stick worse if I pull it out of the fridge and toss it on cold.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #650
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Any suggestions?
Are you turning your foods too early ? If you don't allow your food to remain stationary and cook until the grills properly char your food it won't "release" from the cooking surface. Yoir food will tell you when to turn it. Until I started giving it the proper time to cook I had the same issues since then it most or less never happens.

Make sure your grills are hot when putting food on them as well, never put food on cold grills. (Not saying you are)
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:28 AM   #651
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I always warm up the BBQ, scrape it, wipe it down with a paper towel and oil, then put the meat on, flip it once flip it again and leave it sit. Never have any sticking problems.

I find chicken to be the worst for sticking so I am on it.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:33 AM   #652
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

if its sticking then you're flipping too early.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:41 AM   #653
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I always warm up the BBQ, scrape it, wipe it down with a paper towel and oil, then put the meat on, flip it once flip it again and leave it sit. Never have any sticking problems.

I find chicken to be the worst for sticking so I am on it.
I always seem to have issues with chicken breast on the bbq. I always get a couple of pieces that stick and tear away from the breast.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2017, 11:43 AM   #654
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
Are you turning your foods too early ?
I don't think so? I know what you're getting at and thought of that too but haven't noticed much difference. Normally to get the grill marks I'd put a steak on, wait 3 mins and rotate on the same side. Wait a few more minutes and then do the same thing on the other side. This is after letting the bbq reach around 500. I always make sure to preheat the grill properly.

Recently to test if I was moving too early I thought I'd try just doing 6 minutes each side, still was sticky.

I always let them meat sit on the counter for a good half hour to warm up.

I've been thinking maybe I should try an oil sprtizer to spray on either the grill or meat right before cooking.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:51 AM   #655
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think so? I know what you're getting at and thought of that too but haven't noticed much difference. Normally to get the grill marks I'd put a steak on, wait 3 mins and rotate on the same side. Wait a few more minutes and then do the same thing on the other side. This is after letting the bbq reach around 500. I always make sure to preheat the grill properly.

Recently to test if I was moving too early I thought I'd try just doing 6 minutes each side, still was sticky.

I always let them meat sit on the counter for a good half hour to warm up.

I've been thinking maybe I should try an oil sprtizer to spray on either the grill or meat right before cooking.
Maybe the grill is too new to build up a good layer of patina on the grills.
Try grilling a box of frozen burger patties (lots of grease, big flare ups) to get that grill nice and greasy, then do your usual routine of scraping off the gunk after and oiling the grill after preheating. Plus maybe you can invite some CP members over for a bbq

Also, what do you mean by you sprayed gorilla glue onto the grill?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorilla_Glue
this might be the reason for sticking

Last edited by me_dennis; 06-23-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:56 AM   #656
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:

Ya put some oil in a bowl, dip in the paper towell, wipe the grill with it. This is what I do literally right before the meat goes on, works great.

I also rub olive oil into my steaks after they've sat out for a bit with some Keg seasoning, press it into the steak and go over board as most of it will burn/fall off in the cooking. I have a buddy who manages a keg and he says this is exactly what they do.

Costco sells a nice big tub of it.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:26 PM   #657
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Ya put some oil in a bowl, dip in the paper towell, wipe the grill with it. This is what I do literally right before the meat goes on, works great.

I also rub olive oil into my steaks after they've sat out for a bit with some Keg seasoning, press it into the steak and go over board as most of it will burn/fall off in the cooking. I have a buddy who manages a keg and he says this is exactly what they do.

Costco sells a nice big tub of it.
I've got a roll of disposable shop rags that i roll up and wrap an elastic band around. it gives it some more structure and doesn't fall apart as easily as paper towel on the grill. plus the extra structure makes it easier to use a pair of tongs to oil the grill rather than using my hands.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:10 PM   #658
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks all. I'll start oiling right before grilling. I guess I incorrectly assumed you only had to do that a couple times per season.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:05 PM   #659
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just brush oil on your food, you'll be good and it helps with the grill marks and to make seasoning stick.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2017, 04:41 PM   #660
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

What kind of oil are you guys using? I prefer to use Olive Oil but was told it's smoking temp is too low and better to use vegetable?

**edit** Maybe that was for frying now that I think about it.....

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber