Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-30-2017, 08:32 PM   #981
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Been trying a lot of the beers from Le Trou du Diable, out of Shawinigan Quebec, lately. Great distribution out west for whatever reason. Anyway, their specialty is the Belgian style like many Quebec breweries, but do have some decent pale ales. Awesome art work on the labels as well.
How are there Belgian style brews? How does the price compare to Unibrou?

Unibrou makes my favorite beer but the price tag always hurts a little bit. Although when you're getting 750ml of tripel or quad it makes sense.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:55 AM   #982
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Nice. Which stores carry them?
Oak & Vine for sure. I haven't been up there myself but I have been told Craft Cellars was also going to have them. If anybody is up in Edmonton I also know that Sherbrooke has them.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 09:23 AM   #983
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
How are there Belgian style brews? How does the price compare to Unibrou?

Unibrou makes my favorite beer but the price tag always hurts a little bit. Although when you're getting 750ml of tripel or quad it makes sense.

edit- oops, misread your post. Thought you were asking about my collective arts post.

Anyway, I recall most of their bombers being around 7.99- with Co op being a big seller. Hard to compare them to unibroue, being arguably the best belgian style brewery in Canada. Pretty sure unibroue bombers are closer to $10 at most stores?

Of course, anything from outside Alberta-BC-Sask is overpriced these days... which brings up the point that it is really unfortunate how poor the selection in Alberta has become for craft imports... particularly the American micro breweries. Prices have just made it unsustainable- no one is going to pay $25+ for a six or $12 for a bomber. And while it is awesome that breweries around here are popping up all the time, the reality is many of them have a long way to go in terms of quality.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 05-01-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 08:27 AM   #984
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems the Hack & Lube thread has become the new offfical CP beer thread, but I didn't wanna complain about beer prices in there.

Anyway, down in the States for the weekend and picked up a couple of my favorites for a whoppin $8-$9 per 6. They all had bottling dates in the last month (which is pretty ideal for IPAs). I picked up one the same beers, Firestone Walker Union jack, at liquor depot in Calgary about a month ago for around $25 and it had an enjoy by date of August 2016. Ya, not a big surprise as we already know this, but still find it crazy.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 05-19-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:24 AM   #985
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It seems the Hack & Lube thread has become the new offfical CP beer thread, but I didn't wanna complain about beer prices in there.

Anyway, down in the States for the weekend and picked up a couple of my favorites for a whoppin $8-$9 per 6. They all had bottling dates in the last month (which is pretty ideal for IPAs). I picked up one the same beers, Firestone Walker Union jack, at liquor depot in Calgary about a month ago for around $25 and it had an enjoy by date of August 2016. Ya, not a big surprise as we already know this, but still find it crazy.
It's largely a tax issue. Ballooning public spending + resistance to income and sales tax increases = governments eagerly filling the gap with sin taxes. Canada has reached Scandinavian prices for alcohol, which would have been an astonishing prospect 20 years ago. At some point you'd think prices will significantly suppress sales.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 10:09 AM   #986
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

make your own.

No sin taxes on sacks of malted grain.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #987
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It's largely a tax issue. Ballooning public spending + resistance to income and sales tax increases = governments eagerly filling the gap with sin taxes. Canada has reached Scandinavian prices for alcohol, which would have been an astonishing prospect 20 years ago. At some point you'd think prices will significantly suppress sales.
Private liquor stores in BC are hurting.

Booze cost me 15% more today than it did just two years ago.

It has definitely impacted my buying habits.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:14 AM   #988
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's the weird thing: BC's actually cheaper than here. I go there and get craft singles for at least 15% less than they cost here.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #989
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

With Alberta having an extra tax on anything not brewed in this province, that isn't surprising.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:18 PM   #990
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Why drink anything but McNally's Reserve anyway?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 12:22 PM   #991
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Why drink anything but McNally's Reserve anyway?
For me it is Traditional.

It really has to be one of the best mass produced beers going.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 02:54 PM   #992
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
edit- oops, misread your post. Thought you were asking about my collective arts post.

Anyway, I recall most of their bombers being around 7.99- with Co op being a big seller. Hard to compare them to unibroue, being arguably the best belgian style brewery in Canada. Pretty sure unibroue bombers are closer to $10 at most stores?

Of course, anything from outside Alberta-BC-Sask is overpriced these days... which brings up the point that it is really unfortunate how poor the selection in Alberta has become for craft imports... particularly the American micro breweries. Prices have just made it unsustainable- no one is going to pay $25+ for a six or $12 for a bomber. And while it is awesome that breweries around here are popping up all the time, the reality is many of them have a long way to go in terms of quality.
Thanks for this. Unibrou is a once a month treat at most for me for that reason, and even lesser quality tripels are delicious (ie big rock has one edit:i lied thats a bourbon barrel aged ale I'm thinking of) so alternatives are nice.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.

Last edited by TheSutterDynasty; 05-19-2017 at 07:55 PM.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:00 AM   #993
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally!
Quote:
Calgary – The Calgary Stampede and Alberta Small Brewers Association are pleased to announce a diverse offering of Alberta craft beer will make its appearance July 7 – 16, 2017 in The Big Four Station on Stampede Park.

Visitors to The Big Four Station will be able to quench their thirst from a selection of IPAs, pilsners, ales, unfiltered whites and seasonal varieties available for sample and purchase from 23 Alberta small brewers and Labatt Brewing Company Limited.
http://news.calgarystampede.com/rele...170602-6233013
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:44 AM   #994
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Ken King, Please read.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:40 AM   #995
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Everyone is excited for this but I just don't see the draw. You'll be down in the basement of the big 4 paying probably 9/10$ for Big Rock/Village. I'll take my lumps and drink a Budweiser in the beer gardens in the sun.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:43 AM   #996
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Everyone is excited for this but I just don't see the draw. You'll be down in the basement of the big 4 paying probably 9/10$ for Big Rock/Village. I'll take my lumps and drink a Budweiser in the beer gardens in the sun.
Agreed. If I am drinking at the grounds its in a beer gardens or at nashville.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2017, 03:01 PM   #997
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really not saying this in a snooty way, but I typically just go with something other than beer if the only option is a mass produced pale lager. That said, when it comes to local craft, I would rather just go to a local liquor store and pick up a selection, or the brewery itself. I'm sure some people will be interested in trying local craft beer at the stampede- only makes sense to have both options.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:49 AM   #998
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My wife got me a grainfather for Father's Day!

So excited to be able to brew in winter from the comfort of my basement. No more freezing my ass off in the garage.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:28 PM   #999
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have searched everywhere in Calgary for this beer, for many years, to no avail.
2 nights ago, I found LiquorConnect and it showed me that there was indeed a store in Calgary that stocked it.
Last night was one of the nicest reunions I've ever had.
Anyone ever had it? It's delicious.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:17 PM   #1000
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The link I spoke about above doesn't have it listed.
Does anyone know a local store that sells La Fin du Monde?
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beer , conway twitty , drunks , yes conway twitty