Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2017, 05:15 AM   #1
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:
Default Pet Tips

Thought this could be a thread for people who are looking for some advice for their pets.

Last time you guys helped me figure out what breed of dog I was about to buy.

I ended up buying a Beagle puppy and he is great. He is about 2.5 months old right now. And we've had him for 2 weeks.

I'm confused about how much food I should be giving him though.

When using the table on the back should I be feeding him the amount he will weigh when he is an adult or should I be feeding him at his current weight?

Right now he is 3kg and I feed him 1 cup a day divided by 3.

He always eats it all up and wants more. Whenever I try to feed him a little more like 1/2 cup a feeding he always gets diarrhea.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:27 AM   #2
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably gonna need a picture to tell for sure. But it sounds like the amount is right. I'd be more concerned about what's in the food. If you've changed his food from what the breeder was feeding that might cause an upset stomach. Or if the ingredients are cheap, processed filler that may be bad. Or he might be mildly allergic to an ingredient. If you switch brands do it gradually, mix the two for a while.

In general puppies are very susceptible to bacteria and viruses. My breeder fed them way more than recommended...little golden walruses...as a safe guard against parvo. They're all wicked healthy race horses now. So depending on his activity level you could probably feed a bit more for a while.

And begals are trackers, hunters, etc. Creating a game or a challenge to get food or treats would probably satisfy him more so than food. Even those Kong toys with food inside would be good.

But definitely pictures.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:32 AM   #3
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not to mention, young animals will tend to eat themselves into a coma, if you provide enough food. As long as you are intelligently monitoring their intake, they aren't going to starve to death in a couple hours without food.

Also consider setting a routine. Get the dog used to getting food at or around a specific time. With my cats, they are fed around 9pm at night. That way, if they are grumpy and whining about 'starving' from 6-9, it's no big deal. If you usually feed them during the morning...they will come looking for you bright and early...
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:35 AM   #4
Morning Wood
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Being a beagle owner, I can say that making sure those suckers do not overeat is one of the challenges you will be facing. Beagles are prone to eat themselves to obesity, so err on the side of caution when deciding how much to feed them.

2.5 months is a fun time, man. Enjoy him while he's still small, they grow up quick!
Morning Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:31 AM   #5
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Go with what his current weight is, unless the bag says otherwise. Just because he acts like he's still hungry, doesn't mean that he needs more. My one dog would eat the entire bag if I let her.

The diarrhea could be a number of things. If you've changed foods, it might be the switch or the type of food. My dogs get a scoop of pumpkin (pure pumpkin not pie filling) each day. It's like the wonder-food of digestive issues.

Also, make sure that you're feeding either a puppy food or one for all life's stages because they have more of the fat that puppies require. Acana and Horizon are a couple Canadian made brands that I like.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:47 AM   #6
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a weird one: my cat likes to play fetch. He brings me a toy and waits for me to throw it and then brings it back, usually five or six times.

However, the result of this is that he is currently panting like a dog. Mouth open, tongue hanging out. This is odd cat behaviour and I'm not sure what to make of it. Should I stop playing with him when he gets like this?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:03 AM   #7
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You sure it is a cat? Someone might have pulled a fast one on you.

My kitten liked to pay fetch for about 2 months, then just refused to bring it back. I don't think your cat getting a work out is a bad thing!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #8
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you guys should be talking to your veterinarian about these things...
Old 05-22-2017, 10:43 AM   #9
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I will next time he goes in.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:49 AM   #10
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Here's a weird one: my cat likes to play fetch. He brings me a toy and waits for me to throw it and then brings it back, usually five or six times.

However, the result of this is that he is currently panting like a dog. Mouth open, tongue hanging out. This is odd cat behaviour and I'm not sure what to make of it. Should I stop playing with him when he gets like this?
Take a picture of it and post it. It might be a wolf.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:04 PM   #11
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ops, wrong thread
Old 05-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #12
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Puppies will get diarrhea if overfed. The table on the bag is for current weight.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:07 PM   #13
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

OK, to me it made sense to give him food according to his current weight but then I read online that it should be according to how big he will be.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2017, 06:49 PM   #14
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

That doesn't make sense. He will eat more when he's 10 months than 2 months. Yet he will still have the same "final weight" target.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:58 PM   #15
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
That doesn't make sense. He will eat more when he's 10 months than 2 months. Yet he will still have the same "final weight" target.
The amount changes by his age too. It's a table with age on the y-axis and weight on the x-axis. It's in Chinese so this is why I am unsure.

Anyways, he seems fine.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:12 PM   #16
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
The amount changes by his age too. It's a table with age on the y-axis and weight on the x-axis. It's in Chinese so this is why I am unsure.

Anyways, he seems fine.
Switch food brands immediately.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:40 PM   #17
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Anyways, he seems fine.
Why is it in Chinese? I agree. If you are using a food made in China, stop. A few years ago a bunch of dogs died from Chinese made treats, because they were contaminated.

I recommend Acana/Orijen from Champion Pet Foods (made in Alberta) or Horizon brands (made in Saskatchewan).
Old 05-22-2017, 09:58 PM   #18
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

I live in China so I won't be spending $200 a bag on imported dog food from Alberta!

It's Royal Canin so it's good enough.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:00 AM   #19
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I live in China so I won't be spending $200 a bag on imported dog food from Alberta!

It's Royal Canin so it's good enough.
Ah, that makes a little more sense. I was wondering what kind of weird food you had that only had instructions in Chinese! Maybe check the Royal Canin website and see if they have the information in English.