Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2017, 07:59 PM   #1
Codes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Buying a Washer & Dryer Set

In the same vein as Goon's thread, I'm looking to buy a Washer and Dryer Set (side by side). What do you guys like?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-12-2017, 10:58 AM   #2
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I bought my tear down house it came with a Samsung washer and dryer. I really liked them, but I gave them to my in laws. I bought a Samsung WF42H5600AP for the washer and DV42H5600EP for the dryer. The purchase was made a couple of years ago, so the models I receive next week might be slightly different. I wanted a quiet washing machine, with a large capacity, and a stainless steel drum. Some of the newer models have Bluetooth technology, and you can start the cycles from your phone. I paid a little less than $2,000 for the pair. It looks like these models are on clearance now, and you could get it for less than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 11:03 AM   #3
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just did all of my own appliance hunting about a month and a half ago and my research sent me to the Electrolux EFLS617 washer and EFMC517 dryer. The 517 and 617 models are pretty similar, in fact the only thing the 617 dryer had was an allergen cycle of some sort, so I just saved the couple hundred bucks difference. You could do fine with the 517 washer as well, but I like having the faster quick wash time. They're excellent machines.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 12:21 PM   #4
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Some of the newer models have Bluetooth technology, and you can start the cycles from your phone.
How is that even a useful feature if you gotta go there to load it anyways?

*insert argument of what if you don't wanna wash it now*
Use the delay start feature?
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #5
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a front load pair from sears. the washer has a steam sanitize feature and the dryer has some type of steam setting as well and since we bought them at the early part of the curve it was about $3500 for the set.

for the most part they have worked well - one year the washer quit working and it was some computer board that had to be fixed and the cost of the repair was ~$700.

we are a family of four, and I would say the washer runs 4 to 5 days out of 7.

I guess I would buy a sears model again, as I am assuming that most newer units would cost $500 plus for a new computer board.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:24 PM   #6
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can't speak on all samsungs but the ones they sell at Costco are garbage. Stay away.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #7
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
How is that even a useful feature if you gotta go there to load it anyways?

*insert argument of what if you don't wanna wash it now*
Use the delay start feature?
There are two things.

1) If you throw your clothes in the dryer, and don't take them out right away. You might have forgotten them, left the house, or went to bed. You can start the dryer from your bed and have a hot, fluffy towel waiting for you after your shower. On your way home from the store you can start the dryer and the clothes will be ready to fold when you get there.

2) It notifies you on your phone when the clothes are ready.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-12-2017, 03:20 PM   #8
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
There are two things.

1) If you throw your clothes in the dryer, and don't take them out right away. You might have forgotten them, left the house, or went to bed. You can start the dryer from your bed and have a hot, fluffy towel waiting for you after your shower. On your way home from the store you can start the dryer and the clothes will be ready to fold when you get there.

2) It notifies you on your phone when the clothes are ready.
Not sure how there's a towel in the dryer if you don't go and put it in there in the first place. Also, this is much more efficient of a method than walking to your dryer dripping wet https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/stor...tegoryId=23323

Not sure how YOUR bluetooth has enough range to go to the store... There's delay timers on dryers too.

My washer/dryer sings to me when it's done? If you carry your phone around everywhere you are in the house, maybe it's time you evaluate how addicted you are to it.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:40 PM   #9
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

My Whirlpool front loads died after 10 years of service, so I just went through this.

I asked the repair guys (3rd Party, independent service guys) who they liked and they said:

1A) Whirlpool
1B) Samsung

They gave Whirlpool a slight edge due to availability of parts. I was curious about LG and they said they were good machines but LG controls replacement parts to it's authorised service provider so you're restricted in who you can use to fix them.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 04:09 PM   #10
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
Not sure how there's a towel in the dryer if you don't go and put it in there in the first place. Also, this is much more efficient of a method than walking to your dryer dripping wet https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/stor...tegoryId=23323

Not sure how YOUR bluetooth has enough range to go to the store... There's delay timers on dryers too.

My washer/dryer sings to me when it's done? If you carry your phone around everywhere you are in the house, maybe it's time you evaluate how addicted you are to it.
You must have missed where I said if you went to bed without unloading the dryer. The towel is already in the dryer. Now you want it hot, so you start the dryer up while in bed. You get out of bed, let the dog out, use the toilet, and boom, there is a hot towel waiting for you. You take this hot towel, and put it beside the shower. When you are done showering, you use the towel. I know. This is a mind blowing sequence of event that requires an incredibly detailed level of explanation. Obviously it's not the most necessary feature, but it can be handy. If you can't figure that out, I can't help you.

My washing machine and dryer are on my top floor. Sometimes I'm in the basement watching TV. Sometimes I'm in the kitchen cooking. Sometimes I'm outside. These scenarios may cause me to not hear the buzzer. Sometimes there are people in the house I don't want to wake up, and I don't have the finishing alarm turned on. By getting an alert to my phone, I can tell my laundry has completed. I can fold it without it getting wrinkled.

Of course I carry my phone around the house. Why wouldn't I? If someone calls me, or texts me, I'd like to know. If I want to Google something, my phone is there. If I want to type a post on CP, my phone can do that too. If I want to control my SONOS system, my phone does it. If someone walks onto my property, my Ring app shows me video of it. If my garage is open my phone lets me know. It's really odd to try an make me feel bad about having my phone in my pocket when I'm at home. I'd guess the vast majority of people have their own phones near them at home.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 04:42 PM   #11
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Of course I carry my phone around the house. Why wouldn't I?
You sound like one of those weirdos with pockets.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:08 PM   #12
Codes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I've got some weekend reading to do now!

Old 05-13-2017, 08:18 AM   #13
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reviewed.com has good information on a very wide variety of models. Not just washers and dryers. It was a big help to me when I was shopping for stuff. http://laundry.reviewed.com/content/...machine-review
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2017, 08:33 AM   #14
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've bought 3 appliances in the last year and a half and at different times.

Home Depot had the best price each time, because if you find it cheaper online from a competitor, Home Depot beats it by 10%.

So check out when Lowe's, Sears, Brick, Leons, Best Buy puts a model on sale and then get to Home Depot before they adjust their price to match it.