Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment

Old 02-24-2017, 03:11 AM   #1
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default [Rumour] Unaltered Original Star Wars Trilogy to Be Re-Released Before Last Jedi

http://movieweb.com/star-wars-origin...-release-2017/

Quote:
If a new rumor is believed to be true, LucasFilm may be making a big announcement about the 40th anniversary soon, with plans apparently under way to release a new Blu-ray set with the theatrical versions of the original trilogy films
This is amazing news if true. The original theatrical versions are some of the best films ever created and it is a tragedy they have not yet been made available on Blu-Ray. Although the 1997 versions are watchable they are inferior films for many reasons, most notably the extensive out of place CGI and of course Han shot first!

This is only just a rumour however and there are some things to be worked out first. For one Fox still owns the rights and Disney will need to work something out with them. Also previous comments from George Lucas stated the originals would never be released on Blu-Ray:

Quote:
There will only be one [version of the films]. And it won't be what I would call the "rough cut", it'll be the "final cut". The other one will be some sort of interesting artifact that people will look at and say, "There was an earlier draft of this." The same thing happens with plays and earlier drafts of books. In essence, films never get finished, they get abandoned. At some point, you're dragged off the picture kicking and screaming while somebody says, "Okay, it's done." That isn't really the way it should work. Occasionally, [you can] go back and get your cut of the video out there, which I did on both American Graffiti and THX-1138; that's the place where it will live forever. So what ends up being important in my mind is what the DVD version is going to look like, because that's what everybody is going to remember. The other versions will disappear. Even the 35 million tapes of Star Wars out there won't last more than 30 or 40 years. A hundred years from now, the only version of the movie that anyone will remember will be the DVD version [of the Special Edition], and you'll be able to project it on a 20-foot-by-40-foot screen with perfect quality. I think it's the director's prerogative, not the studio's, to go back and reinvent a movie.
Fingers crossed this is true. The original VHS trilogy is one of my most prized possessions and I would love to have that version in high definition.

Spoiler!
Old 02-24-2017, 05:00 AM   #2
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't one of the Blu-ray releases already come with the original versions of the movies? Or was that a DVD release?
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:19 AM   #3
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Didn't one of the Blu-ray releases already come with the original versions of the movies? Or was that a DVD release?
No Blu-Ray. I believe the only ways to legitimately watch the theatrical version are VHS, Laser Disc, and a low quality DVD copy of the VHS.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:29 AM   #4
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I found them on a torrent site a couple years ago, decent quality too. I would love to have them on Blu-ray
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:39 AM   #5
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
No Blu-Ray. I believe the only ways to legitimately watch the theatrical version are VHS, Laser Disc, and a low quality DVD copy of the VHS.
My Blu-Ray set includes bonus features discs which have the original versions in 4:3 format.

The Despecialized Editions available online are really good though.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:43 AM   #6
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Despecialized Editions will probably still be the best way to watch. Depends how much minor cleanups are done to these, like the boxes around the ships.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:39 AM   #7
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I had always read that the original prints of the unaltered were in pretty poor shape.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:43 AM   #8
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aside from the obvious "Han Shot First" it would be nice to watch RoTJ without the body wracking cringe that happens when the musical number happens in Jabba's Palace.

Seriously. Why George?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2017, 08:45 AM   #9
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Aside from the obvious "Han Shot First" it would be nice to watch RoTJ without the body wracking cringe that happens when the musical number happens in Jabba's Palace.

Seriously. Why George?
Yeah, I thought that was cringe worthy. But when he "fixed" that scene he didn't get rid of the accidental boob exposure by the dancing girl.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2017, 08:45 AM   #10
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Clone Wars showed us the true side of that singer.. don't let her supple lips and curvy hips fool you, she is treacherous!!
Old 02-24-2017, 08:51 AM   #11
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

i'd love them to do a stretch where they relese them in the theatres for 1 week at a time.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:55 AM   #12
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah LaserDisc....what a ride that was.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:24 AM   #13
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I personally love the size of the space saving design of the disc.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:28 AM   #14
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

The original theatricals were released in a special trilogy edition dvd set a number of years ago (I've got it). The release had 2 discs per movie, Disc 1 was the special editions and Disc 2 was the theatrical cut.

...that being said, if this is true - I'll definitely be buying the blu ray set.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:47 AM   #15
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The despecialized editions are more than enough for me right now but I guess as we move into the 4k era, some remastered originals could up the ante once more.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:16 PM   #16
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
i'd love them to do a stretch where they release them in the theatres for 1 week at a time.
It was fun going back to the theaters to see them for the 20th anniversary, even though they were the Special Editions. Weird that the Special Editions have almost been around longer than the originals.

Anyone else here line up at the North Hill Theatre to watch the Special Editions 20 years ago?
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:42 PM   #17
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
It was fun going back to the theaters to see them for the 20th anniversary, even though they were the Special Editions. Weird that the Special Editions have almost been around longer than the originals.

Anyone else here line up at the North Hill Theatre to watch the Special Editions 20 years ago?
I think I lined up at Chinook. It was amazing to watch Star Wars in the theatre again.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:44 PM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched them at SouthCentre.

Yes kids, thats right, there used to be theatres at SouthCentre, but they'd only let you in if you were wearing your onionskin belts which was the style at the time.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2017, 03:50 PM   #19
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah the Southcentre theatres were perfect and right around the corner from my apartment.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:57 PM   #20
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw Star Wars for the first time when the special edition of A New Hope came out in theaters.

The revelation that there was already sequels we could go the video store and rent right now was incredible to my 8 year old brain.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote