Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2016, 07:39 PM   #21
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Why would we move Carroll? He was quite good in playoffs and was still likely not %100 healthy.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:34 PM   #22
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Why would we move Carroll? He was quite good in playoffs and was still likely not %100 healthy.
True they didn't really get to see what Carroll could provide but as MU said he is going to have to get creative. DD will get his money(don't think it's the smartest move but it is going to happen), Lowry signed till next year and the key player on the team, JV the third piece.

So to me that leaves any other player on the roster and the picks to play with and Carroll and Ross making some serious coin are on the table methinks. Can they get somebody cheaper for less money? Can they count on Powell and Wright for more minutes next year? Can they land a PF who is a stretch 4 so that they can have a different skill set at the 3?

So many ways they could go but Carroll to me is far from core and could easily be moved.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:47 PM   #23
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

You need Carroll or Ross because they both give you the 3 and D wing player though obviously Carroll is better. I doubt Ross is back as he is easier to deal with the shorter and cheaper contract, and while Powell has made Ross expendable to a degree, Powell was also kind of exposed for his lack of size so you still need Carroll to guard bigger 2s or 3s if they go small ball.

Unless Biyombo takes a discount or maybe a short deal where he can opt out again next year I just can't him not getting a big deal from someone in this weak market with an increased cap. What the Knicks pick yields will ultimately be key in the offseason. Hopefully that will solve the PF issue, ideally with Sabonis or Bender falling to them.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:08 PM   #24
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
You need Carroll or Ross because they both give you the 3 and D wing player though obviously Carroll is better. I doubt Ross is back as he is easier to deal with the shorter and cheaper contract, and while Powell has made Ross expendable to a degree, Powell was also kind of exposed for his lack of size so you still need Carroll to guard bigger 2s or 3s if they go small ball.

Unless Biyombo takes a discount or maybe a short deal where he can opt out again next year I just can't him not getting a big deal from someone in this weak market with an increased cap. What the Knicks pick yields will ultimately be key in the offseason. Hopefully that will solve the PF issue, ideally with Sabonis or Bender falling to them.
They do need 3 and D but they don't have to get it from Ross or Carroll. Bender at 9 I don't see that happening / if they take one I think they would lean more toward Chriss who is a good fit with JV.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:47 AM   #25
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Michael Grange ‏@michaelgrange 9m9 minutes ago
The Raptors ripped up option year on Casey's deal, per team sources. New 3yr deal thru 18-19.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:01 PM   #26
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Personally I don't see them making a selection at 9. I'd be surprised if the picks aren't traded - just no room to infuse more youth on this roster right now as they're in win-now mode.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:29 PM   #27
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

9th pick on its own though won't net much of a current roster player, and given the Raps are tight against the cap I'm guessing a rookie is what they'd prefer just from a numbers perspective, unless they're trading for a cheap contract. Raps are not going to do much in FA outside whatever happens with Biyombo and DeRozan. I also like re-upping Casey, he's proven himself a borderine top 10 coach or even in the top 10 and my only real issue with him now is the offense should run more through JV, but he's corrected a lot of the other issues I had with him so maybe he'll get this one right too.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:24 AM   #28
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

WojVerticalNBA:
Toronto assistant Andy Greer is leaving to become the top assistant coach to Tom Thiibodeau in Minnesota, league sources tell @TheVertical.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:09 AM   #29
kmart
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Would like to see them let DeRozan go, but I doubt it. Powell, despite the terrific end of his season, isn't proven enough and Ross doesn't look like he'll ever be ready. DeRozan looks like the only starting option available.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:00 AM   #30
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm not sure I want Milsap like is being reported. Old and on the decline. Would have been a nice piece a few years ago, but not now.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:23 PM   #31
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eric offering hope/scaring the #### out of us in two tweets

Quote:
Eric KoreenVerified account ‏@ekoreen 1h1 hour ago
The Raptors have traded lottery picks for Antonio Davis, Jermaine O'Neal and Kyle Lowry for a reminder that those deals can go any way.
Quote:
Eric KoreenVerified account ‏@ekoreen 58m58 minutes ago
Also, just for fun: The last time the Raptors had two first-round picks, they took Charlie Villanueva and Joey Graham.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:30 PM   #32
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toronto selects Jakob Poeltl with the No. 9 pick in the NBA Draft.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:33 PM   #33
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

wooohoooo!!! First Austrian player to be drafted into the NBA. Good to see him go to Canada
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:58 PM   #34
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Josh Lewenberg ‏@JLew1050
Thunder reportedly passed on Raptors package for Ibaka, which included 9th pick, move him to Orlando for Oladipo, Ilyasova & Sabonis instead
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:36 PM   #35
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toronto selects Pascal Siakam with No. 27 pick in the NBA Draft.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:24 PM   #36
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pretty underwhelmed by the Raptors picks.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:12 PM   #37
mivdo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Dont know much about poetl. Can he play pf? Seems to me to be more a post up guy who can run the floor, not really a stretch four. He was put down as center on the draft program but pf/c when i googled him. I dont know why they would draft a center when they have JV who is still young and coming into his own.

Siakam from what I briefly seen is similar to biyombo. As in aggresive on the boards. Thats about all i can tell.
mivdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:51 PM   #38
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Raps seem to draft a lot of europeans...is that because they will actually play in TO
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:18 AM   #39
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mivdo View Post
Dont know much about poetl. Can he play pf? Seems to me to be more a post up guy who can run the floor, not really a stretch four. He was put down as center on the draft program but pf/c when i googled him. I dont know why they would draft a center when they have JV who is still young and coming into his own.

Siakam from what I briefly seen is similar to biyombo. As in aggresive on the boards. Thats about all i can tell.
That's the million dollar question. Even if not, he could be an excellent backup C behind JV and a valuable asset to trade at some point in the future, (or make JV expendable, who I wouldn't trade except for a borderline superstar). Offensively I could see them working together well; he's a solid passer, he's awesome on the pick-and-roll. He only attempted 1 three in two years at Utah, but apparently he's been making them with good regularity in workouts (I've seen a few videos that show he's got very nice form on his shot). It's on defense where it's going to be hard to say that the two can co-exist together. Raptors think he's got amazing foot-speed for a big, so maybe he can, although that doesn't sound like a very Casey lineup. That said, I do like the fact that the Raptors are potentially zigging to the rest of the NBA's zagging: if you can make the defense work, then the offensive upside two having two elite scoring 7-footers on the court is tremendous.

Last edited by octothorp; 06-24-2016 at 12:26 AM.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:41 AM   #40
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Raptors signed former Wichita State PG Fred Van Vleet. I would not bet against this kid carving out an NBA career.