Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2016, 06:04 PM   #1
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2016 Calgary Foothills PDL Thread

The 2016 schedule came out today. All games are Friday nights and Sunday afternoons which is a big improvement over the 2015 season. Calgary Foothills' home venue is TBD, but a little birdy has told me games will most likely be at Calgary Rugby Park in the SE as Hellard Field is under construction in 2016. Location is not the greatest, but there is a grass pitch, and a clubhouse where we can all meet before and after for drinks.

Schedule is as follows:

Friday May 13 - Calgary @ Washington
Sunday May 15 - Calgary @ Victoria Highlanders
Friday May 27 - Calgary vs Portland Timbers U-23
Sunday May 29 - Calgary vs Portland Timbers U-23
Friday June 10 - Calgary vs Victoria Highlanders
Thursday June 16 - Calgary @ Lane United
Friday June 17 - Calgary @ Lane United
Sunday June 19 - Calgary @ Portland Timbers U-23
Friday June 24 - Calgary vs Kitsap Pumas
Sunday June 26 - Calgary vs Kitsap Pumas
Sunday July 10 - Calgary vs Seattle Sounders U-23
Friday July 15 - Calgary @ Seattle Sounders U-23
Sunday July 17 - Calgary @ Kitsap Pumas

Some of us are discussing a road trip going to an away game either in Victoria or Portland as well. If that actually becomes a thing, I'll let folks know.

GET HYPED!

Last edited by shermanator; 02-02-2016 at 06:07 PM.
shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2016, 06:55 PM   #2
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Come on Foothills!!!
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Addick For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2016, 07:12 PM   #3
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Living in Riverbend I don't really have an excuse to not go
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:36 PM   #4
Montana Moe
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm already making plans to be at the match in Portland. If someone makes it down, I'd love to meet up. I'd like to partake in a little scarf exchange, as well.
Montana Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:50 AM   #5
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I do love a bit of Friday Night Football but I'm usually driving down to Calgary on the Friday's of the weekends when I visit. Finding a job in Calgary won't be hard in this economic climate eh?
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Old 02-03-2016, 01:19 PM   #6
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't say enough for the work Tommy Wheeldon is doing at foothills to build a soccer pyramid in Calgary so kids can move on to something bigger.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 01:31 PM   #7
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

3 long months!!! All games on Friday and Sunday, couldn't ask much more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Moe View Post
I'm already making plans to be at the match in Portland. If someone makes it down, I'd love to meet up. I'd like to partake in a little scarf exchange, as well.
Preliminary talks with the other two of the Calgary Timbers Army trio has us looking at Foothills at Sounders followed by Sounders at Providence Park. If you don't have a scarf by then we'll be happy to bring one!
Old 02-03-2016, 01:35 PM   #8
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I'll be there this year! Are jerseys available for purchase?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #9
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I'll be there this year! Are jerseys available for purchase?
They were selling them (and other merch) at the games last year, so probably the same here.

For foot soldiers stuff, just find us and bring cash (was it $20 a scarf Sherm?)

Come to think of it, it might all be cash only.

Last edited by Nuje; 02-03-2016 at 01:52 PM.
Nuje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:19 PM   #10
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Living in Riverbend I don't really have an excuse to not go
The Glenmore Trail/Shepard road interchagne construction will be a major pain in the ass for people though.

Still, I'm in the same boat as you. Getting to Hellard from the deep southeast is a pain in the ass. Getting to the CRU? I could practically walk it.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:34 PM   #11
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I can't say enough for the work Tommy Wheeldon is doing at foothills to build a soccer pyramid in Calgary so kids can move on to something bigger.
Having football back in the City is great, having it back via a club that is really trying to do things the 'right' way is wonderful.

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Old 02-03-2016, 02:44 PM   #12
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oooh....if its at the Rugby Park then yeah, I definitely need to try and make it.

If anyone is going and wants to do a group thing let me know.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:10 PM   #13
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

It was leaked today in the Hamilton Spectator that a 6-8 team Pro league named "Canadian Premier League" is scheduled to begin in 2017 or 2018. Calgary is strongly rumoured to be one of the teams.

Ownership is a mix of CFL-NHL owners. Team operating budgets will be 4 million dollars a year.

This is big, big news.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 03:30 PM   #14
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The Glenmore Trail/Shepard road interchagne construction will be a major pain in the ass for people though.

Still, I'm in the same boat as you. Getting to Hellard from the deep southeast is a pain in the ass. Getting to the CRU? I could practically walk it.
Always think the backdoor my friend! 114th to barlow to shepp!
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:30 PM   #15
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Absolutely. Canadian soccer needs to clone Tommy and put him in every big city in the country. He's doing fantastic work.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:34 PM   #16
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuje View Post
They were selling them (and other merch) at the games last year, so probably the same here.

For foot soldiers stuff, just find us and bring cash (was it $20 a scarf Sherm?)

Come to think of it, it might all be cash only.
Yup, they had jerseys at the last couple games. Nuje has one, I'm sure he can model it for you. They also had T-shirts, hats, and oddly enough a rugby polo.

And for Foot Soldiers scarves, Nuje is correct, they're $20. Once our "Director of Scarves" comes in from Medicine Hat I can arrange a shady cash handover as well. We also have $5 decals too.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:36 PM   #17
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It was leaked today in the Hamilton Spectator that a 6-8 team Pro league named "Canadian Premier League" is scheduled to begin in 2017 or 2018. Calgary is strongly rumoured to be one of the teams.

Ownership is a mix of CFL-NHL owners. Team operating budgets will be 4 million dollars a year.

This is big, big news.
I cannot wait for this league to get off the ground. Total speculation but I think any rumoured Calgary "Canadian Premier League" club won't be associated with Foothills, although I hope the two work together on some level.

Of course, it probably means we need to re-brand the supporters group to be more of a "Bow Valley Wanderers", wandering around supporting all the various clubs in town, including Calgary Foothills. Hmmm, kind of like that name.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:42 PM   #18
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Always think the backdoor my friend! 114th to barlow to shepp!
Yeah, that's the route I would take. But the 70% of the city that lives north of Glenmore is going to take Glenmore to Shepard... the first time, at least.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:50 PM   #19
CorbeauNoir
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I had to look it up and wow that's an u-g-l-y location even if you have a car... they really couldn't find any field even marginally close to a c-train station? How are you supposed to get back home after having a pint or six?

Quote:

This is big, big news.
I've had an ear to the ground on this sort of stuff since the whitecaps entered MLS... rumors and offhand declarations like this come out like clockwork every six months or so. There's going to be a pro league tied to the CFL, then there's going to be an all-Canadian NASL division, then there's going to be a pro league tied to the CFL again, then Calgary and Hamilton are guaranteed to be entering the NASL individually next year... oops no, in two years... oops no, in two years after the end of next year... oops no, now NASL is saying they've actually never heard any word of interest at all from any Canadian markets... then there's a rival group saying there's actually going to be a completely different national league and it has nothing to do with the CFL-tied league, and now it's a pro league tied to the CFL *and* the NHL, which is going to be the real deal this time because it got a quiet off-hand reference during a Hamilton city planning meeting as political leverage to get a couple of practice fields built.

I'll believe it's big, big news when I actually see these apparently-real 6-8 ownership groups together on a stage giving concrete announcements of exactly where and when games are going to be played, until then it's yet more smoke and mirrors. Nobody seems to have any reasonable answer to how a "national" league is supposed to have any traction in the pro sports market when 5 of Canada's 6 biggest cities are already accounted for, which I suspect is why the people with money at stake never go any further than expressing vague desires to get it done.

Last edited by CorbeauNoir; 02-03-2016 at 07:55 PM.
CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:59 PM   #20
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

http://imgur.com/a/0YB5C

Sorry about the potato shots, having people over in a moment but I had a few minutes. First shot is badly focused. Second shot is bad matching, but the scarf is a split logo on one-side (the current batch in stock is that exact design I believe, we can check with the "Director of Scarves")

I just want as many people around as possible to show that this sport can work in this city.

Tags
calgary foothills , foot soldiers , highlanders suck , pdl