Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-03-2016, 11:22 PM   #21
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

So bad but in a good way.

It was pure trash and Cuba and Travolta shouldn't work and don't work but they kinda do in this garbage show.

I need a shower after watching this turd.

But I'll be back next week for The Chase.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:53 PM   #22
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

BTW, it seems the first episode is free to download from both Google Play and iTunes. I was able to catch the 10 minutes that I missed.

So next week will be the car chase? It seems the show has pretty high production value, so should be exciting to see.

Edit

Nevermind, the first episode doesn't appear free anymore. It seems that offer expired at midnight. Also, I mistakenly said there were 6 episodes, but there will actually be 10. That should hopefully allow the show to breathe a bit without rushing things.

Last edited by gottabekd; 02-04-2016 at 12:20 AM.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:28 AM   #23
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone still watching this? It's about what I expected I suppose, a 7/10 show that is trashy and features some dreadful acting from Travolta. The last episode was also the first they didn't needlessly force a Kardashian kids reference so there's that at least. It was painful how hard they forced them into scenes to I suppose appeal to millenials.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:09 AM   #24
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I still really enjoy this series.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:04 PM   #25
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've really liked this series as well. Really enjoying the background on both legal teams, I was 4 when this stuff went down to suffice to say I didn't know very much. I thought the actors playing Marcia Clarke and Johnnie Cochrane have put in really good performances.

It sometimes teeters dangerously close to parody land, especially with last weeks introduction of Fred Goldman. That was like one hair short of an SNL skit but it landed ok. Also getting sick of Kardashian Kids scenes but it seems like they've made their point.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:32 AM   #26
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Maybe I'm typcasting Schwimmer, but I can't imagine him doing any type of dramatic role. I died laughing when I saw in him Band of Brothers. Sure, he did a good job of portraying somebody who couldn't do his role and inspire those under his command, but I just couldn't imagine the character making it so far in the military.

Schwimmer knows how to be a doofus. He is only meant for comedic roles.
You've obviously never been in the military, it is astounding how far completely inept people can go!
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:49 AM   #27
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I take it for what it is. It's a dramatic retelling of the story. Things will be emphasized to draw in viewers, things will be downplayed. They're telling a story, not restating the facts.

This is why the Kardashian kids are shoe-horned in where ever possible, and there's little discussion about DNA despite there being a DNA expert on the "dream team".

I doubt that the change in lead counsel went down exactly as it happened in the show (with everyone just treating Cochrane as lead counsel one day with Shaprio walking in to a meeting late saying "we need to cut a deal" after Cochrane outlined a potential winning defense strategy.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #28
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol timing

Quote:
A construction worker found a knife buried on the perimeter of the former O.J. Simpson estate ... and it's currently being tested by the LAPD in a top secret investigation ... law enforcement sources tell TMZ.

The story is incredible. We're told a construction worker found the knife years ago -- we have heard several different stories, ranging from "several years ago" to 1998, when the house was demolished.

The weapon is a folding buck knife.

Our law enforcement sources say the construction worker took the knife to the street, where he saw an LAPD cop. He told the officer where he found the knife and the cop took it.

Turns out the cop -- who worked in the traffic division -- was off duty at the time, working security for a movie shoot at a house across the street on Rockingham. Our sources say the officer took the knife home and kept it ... kept it for years.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/03/04/oj-sim...#ixzz41xBkjaRs

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 03-04-2016 at 09:49 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:39 AM   #29
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow Mark Fuhrman really had it in for OJ, I thought planting the glove and socks were bad enough but to go to all the trouble of burying a knife in the yard that's just excessive. Racist.

I don't think its a coincidence that this comes out with this series airing right now, the stupid idiot who kept the knife probably couldn't contain himself.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:14 AM   #30
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't tell if you're being serious about Fuhrman or not.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:54 AM   #31
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Series finished up last night and after a rough start (seemed kinda cheesy at first) I was hooked and enjoyed watching it through.

Any recommendations on documentaries on the OJ case? I was too young to follow it when it happened live but after watching the series I kept thinking "you couldn't make a story like this up" so I'm curious as to how much is truth.

Regardless what a cluster fata of a trial!
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:59 AM   #32
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have yet to watch the finale, but I cannot believe this series is at a 90 rating on Metacritic. One of the cheesiest, corniest, and overly dramatic re-tellings of a story I have ever seen.

I mean, I enjoyed it for what it is, but it blows my mind that the critics rated it so high when shows like Better Call Saul sit at 85.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:11 PM   #33
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I have yet to watch the finale, but I cannot believe this series is at a 90 rating on Metacritic. One of the cheesiest, corniest, and overly dramatic re-tellings of a story I have ever seen.

I mean, I enjoyed it for what it is, but it blows my mind that the critics rated it so high when shows like Better Call Saul sit at 85.
Besides the performances of David Schwimmer and John Tavolta it wasn't that cheesy.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2016, 04:23 PM   #34
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Besides the performances of David Schwimmer and John Tavolta it wasn't that cheesy.
Cuba did what he could but it wasn't very believable, IMO. Paulson, Lane, and Vance were admirable in terms of performance.

The writing was really bad. All the dialogue and the faux drama just felt lame and cliche as hell. They absolutely forced the Kardashian and race angles into it, which destroyed the show. I rolled my eyes and smirked at a lot of it, and not just Schwimmer and Travolta.

I get that race was the elephant in the room during the whole thing, but OMG...picking Seinfeld over whatever show and having the jurors get as stereotypical as possible? Ugh.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:29 PM   #35
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
I thought Travolta dialed back the cheese the last few episodes too. As for Schwimmer... yeah, he was Ross Kardashian the whole way through. I really liked the show. Paulson, Brown, Lane and Vance killed it (Gooding not so much).

Last edited by Parallex; 04-06-2016 at 04:31 PM.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:16 PM   #36
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I enjoyed the series. I'd agree that Schwimmer and Travolta were cheese, as was shoe horning in the Kardashians where ever possible.

I thought a lot of the actors were well cast, at least in their look and portrayal of the people they were based on (Clarke, Darden, Ito, Cochran, Bailey).

While Cuba Gooding Jr didn't look like OJ and he overacted from time to time, I thought the non-verbal was excellent.

The thing I liked most about this was seeing the things I missed the first time as a pre-teen.

There was lots of things that were fuzzy or I just didn't know.

Was it dramatized? Yes. However, I thought it was decently done.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote