Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2015, 06:53 PM   #21
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
OFFICIAL: @SSKRoughriders granted permission to speak w/ @EdmontonEsks HC Chris Jones ➡ http://on.cfl.ca/Vovl3 #CFL

@ArashMadani
Per CFL Sources John Huffangel was absolutely offered the Saskatchewan Roughriders GM/Head Coach job (as dual role, and turned it down)

Am told the offer by the Riders to John Huffangel would have made him the highest paid executive in the CFL. Commissioner included.

Very simple how Sask lands Chris Jones: give him full control, give him term and offer him around the same money they offered Huffangel.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:12 PM   #22
Armchair Quarterback
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Yeah Cornish is a class act all the way even if he did moon the Riders fans.

Hard to believe he only started 60 games as a Stampeder (according to something I read somewhere).

What he packed into that shortened career is remarkable and will land him into the CFL HoF.
Classic moment when he mooned the Riders fans, that was awesome.

Really sad to see Cornish retire, end of an era...but he's smart to do it while he still has his health.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armchair Quarterback For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2015, 07:14 PM   #23
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I admit I wasn't a fan of Cornish when he initially took over from Joffrey. He had the talent but he just rubbed me the wrong way. He has long since proven me wrong.

And in a year when two Canadians were 1-2 in rushing, Cornish was leaps and bounds ahead of them. One of the best backs in the league for a number of years regardless of his passport.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:19 PM   #24
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would love to see Claybrooks take over as DC -- he's learned from some of the best.

Chris Jones can take his money with the Riders -- hurts the Eskimos and Saskatchewan will still be no good.

Tedford one and done in BC? That would make it four new Head Coaches in the West...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #25
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huge respect to Cornish, I'm another one who was a big Joffrey fan and wasn't big on his (perceived) brashness at first, but he's turned into a true pro.

Man what a kick in the balls off-season this has been for Stamps fans this first week so far..

Posted from Calgarypuck.com App for Android
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:19 PM   #26
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sad to see Cornish have to call it a career so young. I don't think the CFL as a whole realize what a rariety he is as a Canadian to be a superstar RB in the CFL. What Cornish accomplished in such a short span of a career is truly impressive.
What irritates me is that the CFL did very little to protect Cornish from so many targeted head shots.
They need to increase the maximum amount of games a player can be suspended from the measely 1 to 10 especially when it comes to targeting the head. It shouldn't be open season on RB. The hits to receiver's heads result in far more flags than what they call on flaggerent hits to RB's heads.
Really too bad i thought he was a class guy. It was fun as a fan to watch him re write CFL records. Wish him nothing but the best!
Old 12-03-2015, 04:46 PM   #27
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ray has signed a new 2 yr deal with th Argos. Lawless tweeted that the Argos also left money on the table to Sign Harris.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:13 AM   #28
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

CFL Communications

@CFL_PR
#CFL announced it has fined Edmonton Eskimos GM Ed Hervey. http://on.cfl.ca/Vsgjt

The only rule about tampering is not to discuss tampering.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:49 AM   #29
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good Cornish interview on fan960 right now. I imagine it will be posted up later.

Not bitter towards the Hebert hit itself, says those things happen in football. More frustrated with the discipline behind it, which I think is a very appropriate/diplomatic response to take.

I think that is a CFL and CFLPA problem. The PA (in all leagues, not just football) needs to start defending the injured player and not the suspended one. The league itself should be tougher on discipline.
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:53 AM   #30
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
It shouldn't be open season on RB. The hits to receiver's heads result in far more flags than what they call on flaggerent hits to RB's heads.
This is an interesting discussion, and one I'm sure will be happening many times in the coming years. My initial take is that no single player leads more with their helmet than a running back. They lower their shoulder and duck their head. Running backs should run a little more uprIght (like Cornish tended to do) and then I think they would be able to be protected like a receiver.

The NFL has a rule about running backs leading with their head but I don't think it has ever actually been called. If football is serious about head injuries then eliminate the RB ducking his head and it will take a lot of the "routine" head contact out of the game.

Edit: you're talking about the flagrant hits, yep, those should be dealt with severely as well (I like the CFL rules about hitting receivers so much more than the NFL. It is still football). I wanted to bring up the routine hit as it is something I've been talking about at work with a lot of former CIS guys.

Last edited by M*A*S*H 4077; 12-04-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:52 AM   #31
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

RIP Willie Burden, one of the greatest Stamps ever, gone way too early at 64.

The former running back was one of the greatest players in Stampeders history and holds a place of honour on the club's Wall of Fame.

Burden played for Calgary from 1974 to 1981 and still holds the franchise's single-season rushing record of 1,896 yards, which he established in 1975.

"Willie was a great player, a great teammate and a great friend," said Stampeders general manager John Hufnagel, who played with Burden from 1976-79. "He will be sorely missed and I offer condolences to his family."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cf...t-64-1.3352258
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2015, 03:59 PM   #32
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
RIP Willie Burden, one of the greatest Stamps ever, gone way too early at 64.

The former running back was one of the greatest players in Stampeders history and holds a place of honour on the club's Wall of Fame.

Burden played for Calgary from 1974 to 1981 and still holds the franchise's single-season rushing record of 1,896 yards, which he established in 1975.

"Willie was a great player, a great teammate and a great friend," said Stampeders general manager John Hufnagel, who played with Burden from 1976-79. "He will be sorely missed and I offer condolences to his family."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cf...t-64-1.3352258
I believe he is the best RB the Stamps have ever had (with all due respect to Cornish) as he was so versatile and played on some miserable teams during his tenure but always produced.

Terrible news. RIP Willie, you were a gem.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:00 PM   #33
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now official, Chris Jones has been hired as the Riders GM/Coach. Look for Jason Maas to be a possible candidate to become the next coach in Edmonton.

The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2015, 08:45 PM   #34
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Boy just when you thought you couldn't hate the Riders more...
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2015, 08:51 PM   #35
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Boy just when you thought you couldn't hate the Riders more...
Its awesome...now all the ######baggery in the league is in a nice little box in Southern Saskatchewan.

Easy to hate on for multiple reasons now.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:00 PM   #36
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Riders have been publically tampering with the Stamps and Eskimoes for
Months. The league allowing this to occur shows what a joke this league is becoming.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2015, 09:05 PM   #37
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well the Riders now have the second best coach in the west (possibly 1st if Wally is past his beat before date). Dickenson is an unknown commodity and Maas seems like the favourite for the Edmonton job, could be good, but again an unknown.

So many holes to fill on the roster and it remains to be seen if he can build a team. Edmonton and Calgary should still be the favourites for the west next year, barring any craziness in free agency.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:29 PM   #38
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
The Riders have been publically tampering with the Stamps and Eskimoes for
Months. The league allowing this to occur shows what a joke this league is becoming.
The league can't enforce anything - player or organizational discipline is non existant.
I fully agree.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2015, 11:40 AM   #39
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Willie was my favorite all-time Stamp.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:28 PM   #40
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Paul LaPolice has been hired as the new OC in Winnipeg. Guessing he'll be the coach by the middle of July.