Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2015, 07:24 AM   #41
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Exactly who you want endorsing you...

Quote:
Russian President Vladimir Putin says the United States is meddling in FIFA's affairs in an attempt to take the 2018 World Cup away from his country.

Putin said in televised comments Thursday that it is "odd" that the probe was launched at the request of U.S. officials for crimes which do not involve its citizens and did not happen in the United States." Two of the 14 people charged by U.S. prosecutors have U.S. citizenship.

In a separate probe, Swiss prosecutors are investigating the awarding of the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 tournament to Qatar.

Putin said he is aware of "the pressure" on Sepp Blatter for his support of Russia hosting the World Cup.

Putin described Wednesday's pre-dawn arrests of seven soccer officials in Zurich as "yet another evident attempt to derail Mr. Blatter's re-election as FIFA president."
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/66dc8...agement-zurich
Old 05-28-2015, 11:31 AM   #42
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha! I dont even know what to say...

Quote:
Luis Suarez's ban for biting Giorgio Chiellini could be appealed in the wake of FIFA's crisis, according to the Uruguayan Footballers' Union (MUFP).

Uruguay international Suarez was banned for four months by FIFA after biting Italy's Chiellini at last summer's World Cup in Brazil.

His suspension means Suarez will miss this summer's Copa America tournament in Chile, although the MUFP could appeal the sanction.

The MUFP has cited the arrests of football officials, which includes Uruguayan Eugenio Figueredo, as reason to challenge the decision.

The body said on its Twitter account: "If Luis Suarez is in agreement, we will ask for the end of the suspension... due to [the player] having been suspended by an organ suspected of corruption.

"He was a victim, without doubt, of this alleged corruption."
http://www.espnfc.com/uruguay/story/...r-fifa-charges

Yeah....a victim of corruption. Nothing at all to do with biting a guy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2015, 11:44 AM   #43
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I should not have to pay taxes, because there was government corruption!
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:23 PM   #44
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I hope this sparks a revolution in world football to be honest. I hope UEFA stops tiptoeing around the subject, and goes rouge.

UEFA should breakaway from FIFA and ask the remaining federations asking to start a new world organization with them.
Thats never going to happen, not to mention man that Platini is in bed with Blatter.

Platini was going to run against Blatter and threatened him and his position for this election, they were at absolute odds and then all of a sudden the two met up just before the 2014 World Cup and Platini rescinded his candidacy and threw his support behind Blatter.

Methinks somebody got his piece of the pie which now makes him and UEFA complicit.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2015, 12:26 PM   #45
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

South Africa reportedly paid $10+ million in bribes to secure the world cup in 2010

Quote:
New York - South African officials paid more than $10 million (R120 million) in bribes to host the 2010 World Cup and handed over a briefcase stuffed with $10 000 stacks of banknotes in Paris, a US indictment alleged on Wednesday.

Attorney General Loretta Lynch said executives from soccer's governing body FIFA took bribes in exchange for voting for South Africa to become the first African nation to host the tournament.

An indictment unsealed in New York alleges that former FIFA vice-president Jack Warner, 72, diverted a "substantial portion" of the funds for his personal use.
http://www.sport24.co.za/Soccer/Inte...claim-20150527
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:12 PM   #46
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
South Africa reportedly paid $10+ million in bribes to secure the world cup in 2010
$10M is a small price to pay for WC 2010.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/socc...ats/ar-BBkkgOR

What's funny is that who rents a $6,000 a month apartment only to house his cats? A corrupted FIFA officer who didn't take enough bribe to buy the apartment outright.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:31 PM   #47
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

UEFA leaves FIFA

runs the Euro's every 2 years invites Brazil and Argentina and a few other South American squads

best possible outcome of this
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2015, 09:10 PM   #48
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Thats never going to happen, not to mention man that Platini is in bed with Blatter.

Platini was going to run against Blatter and threatened him and his position for this election, they were at absolute odds and then all of a sudden the two met up just before the 2014 World Cup and Platini rescinded his candidacy and threw his support behind Blatter.

Methinks somebody got his piece of the pie which now makes him and UEFA complicit.
He sure ain't support Blatter publicly these days.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:57 AM   #49
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He sure ain't support Blatter publicly these days.
No, but having this whole sting happen right before the Presidential election was likely not an accident.

Is it bad that FIFA is so corrupt that I think theres a chance one of them got the US authorities to intervene so someone else gets elected President?

Its FIFA, its corruption is corrupt.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:15 AM   #50
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope an ESPN 30 for 30 style documentary is born out of this.

Of the past 20 years, from Havelenge's successive dirty election, to Russia & Qatar; all centered around Blatter.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:17 AM   #51
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

~ ‏@sundowncyndrome 2m2 minutes ago #FIFACongress livestream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX-gu9pdKyg …
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:26 AM   #52
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blatter is apparently a lock to win, as he pretty much has total support from Africa and Asia and those are enough votes to secure it.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:31 AM   #53
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Blatter is apparently a lock to win, as he pretty much has total support from Africa and Asia and those are enough votes to secure it.
Yeah, and I wonder how he got all that support? Lets check FIFA's chequebook and see if any cheques were recently written to the African and Asian FAs?

Old 05-29-2015, 09:37 AM   #54
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's interesting the dynamic though. The true powers of soccer have very little say in this process. That tiny ass African countries have the same power as England or Germany is sort of absurd. It's on UEFA to showcase its real power and withdraw from FIFA. A World Cup without UEFA would be a financial disaster.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:38 AM   #55
Pagal4321
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's going to win again but I have a feeling his reign will be short. Everyone knew this was happening but now that it's out there for public consumption and I think there will be too much negativity in the market to ignore.

Or maybe people will just keep sending bribes...I mean legitimate wire transfers through all countries, while avoiding the US.
Pagal4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:41 AM   #56
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe...lflow_facebook

A good write up on FIFA's revenue streams. WC is mostly all what FIFA got. And no European teams means no WC simple as that.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:06 AM   #57
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
No, but having this whole sting happen right before the Presidential election was likely not an accident.

Is it bad that FIFA is so corrupt that I think theres a chance one of them got the US authorities to intervene so someone else gets elected President?

Its FIFA, its corruption is corrupt.
I personally don't believe Platini has had any doings in corruption or bribes. UEFA runs much better than FIFA does, and for the most part, it is transparent. It's far from perfect though.

However, I just don't see powerful men like the German, English, Spanish or Russian FA presidents being complicit with a UEFA corruption scandal. They would immediately indict Platini, in my opinion. Too much to lose for these FA's to be caught up in some stupid scandal. There is certainly corruption within UEFA members' FA's, but not in UEFA itself.

I think Platini rescinding his presidential candidacy is a function of him wanting to stay away from the mess he probably saw coming in FIFA. I'm certain he had something to do with the Swiss investigation & subsequent US indictments.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:13 AM   #58
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe...lflow_facebook

A good write up on FIFA's revenue streams. WC is mostly all what FIFA got. And no European teams means no WC simple as that.

I read the other day that at UEFA's executive meeting, they would actually consider breaking away from FIFA if change doesn't happen, which makes me happy. Can't seem to remember where I read that though.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:27 AM   #59
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I read the other day that at UEFA's executive meeting, they would actually consider breaking away from FIFA if change doesn't happen, which makes me happy. Can't seem to remember where I read that though.
People watch WC to see the European sides plus Brazil and Argentina play, you can throw in Chile and Mexico for a little variety but that's it.

I would venture a guess that, say, the Koreans wouldn't be too interested in the WC if the European sides are not there even if their country wins it.

If UEFA organizes some sort of worldwide tournament, it'll be a success. They might not be able to retain the WC trademark. But they can just call it the Galaxy cup and people will watch, and sponsors will endorse.

Meanwhile, FIFA with a WC sans the European side is a slow way to die.
The Following User Says Thank You to darklord700 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2015, 10:39 AM   #60
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The voting ballot for today's FIFA vote has been leaked:

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post: