Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-26-2017, 12:31 PM   #121
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
One of the reasons why the franchises were hesitant about making the switch to all day breakfast was staff impact. I guess the way they used to utilize the kitchen for breakfast was different than for the lunch and dinner options. You would think now the kitchen is set up different to make way for both options.

The more and more I think about this, there might be a business rationale for offering an all day breakfast menu as opposed to just selling breakfast.

I know a lot of people who refuse to eat at McDonalds during lunch or dinner due to the perceived unhealthiness of the food but don't hesitate at all to pick up a sugary coffee, fatty and salty breakfast sandwich along with a sweet muffin. I know it sounds STUPID to think like that but I think a lot of people might think that the breakfast options are "healthier" than something like a Big Mac??

I have always found people to be a bit confused as to what they are eating health wise. People always vilify something like pizza as being "unhealthy" but don't bat an eye with a loaded deli meat sandwich from Subway. It's just interesting.
When you actually break down the nutrients in a Big Mac, if you get a diet drink with it, you're looking at around 8-900 calories. That's totally fine for a male with an active lifestyle.

The food people make at home, and fill with oil and butter, is often much worse. Following Super Size Me, McDonalds became the poster child for unhealthy fast food. It's obviously a little unfair.

Also, many of the healthy options they introduced, like ranchy salads, are worse for you than the burgers. When I worked at Earls, we'd see the nutritional breakdown. The Ceaser salads were horrendously bad for you, but people would order them as diet items. A reason I'm not against mandatory listing of calorie content on menu items.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:43 PM   #122
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

If there's one thing we're learning from social media it's that most people are very ignorant and misinformed in regards to almost everything. It's fascinating.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:38 PM   #123
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
One of the reasons why the franchises were hesitant about making the switch to all day breakfast was staff impact. I guess the way they used to utilize the kitchen for breakfast was different than for the lunch and dinner options. You would think now the kitchen is set up different to make way for both options.

The more and more I think about this, there might be a business rationale for offering an all day breakfast menu as opposed to just selling breakfast.

I know a lot of people who refuse to eat at McDonalds during lunch or dinner due to the perceived unhealthiness of the food but don't hesitate at all to pick up a sugary coffee, fatty and salty breakfast sandwich along with a sweet muffin. I know it sounds STUPID to think like that but I think a lot of people might think that the breakfast options are "healthier" than something like a Big Mac??

I have always found people to be a bit confused as to what they are eating health wise. People always vilify something like pizza as being "unhealthy" but don't bat an eye with a loaded deli meat sandwich from Subway. It's just interesting.
Well a Big Mac has 520 calories and an Egg McMuffin has 290 so it's not like people are crazy to opt for the McMuffin at lunch over a traditional lunch burger there if they want fewer calories.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:02 PM   #124
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

The sausage and hashbrown wrap has over 700 calories and the breakfast bagels have around 600 calories but not sure if either are included in the all day breakfast menu.

There was a guy in Super Size Me (not the main guy) who ate a Big Mac everyday for years. He ate at least one Big Mac per day but never ate the fries (or anything else).

I always laugh at the Subway "eat fresh" commercials. The cold cuts at Subway are loaded with chemicals/preservatives and there is nothing fresh about the meats that sit there for hours (if not days). I know they used a yoga mat chemical to make their bread rise but I think they stopped using it
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:22 PM   #125
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I know they used a yoga mat chemical to make their bread rise but I think they stopped using it
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 09:32 PM   #126
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I always laugh at the Subway "eat fresh" commercials. The cold cuts at Subway are loaded with chemicals/preservatives and there is nothing fresh about the meats that sit there for hours (if not days). I know they used a yoga mat chemical to make their bread rise but I think they stopped using it
Subway bread is disgusting and OMG that smell. I remember when they put the Subway in the basement of Mac Hall and it stank up the entire place. Subways should only be allowed in areas of heavy wind.

I prefer sandwich shops which a) are bakeries or b) buy their bread from bakeries.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:03 AM   #127
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
There is some legit truth to that claim. What all got started this was Michelle Obama was giving a speech on healthy eating to a bunch of school children and I believe she referenced Subway sandwiches.

Somebody noticed this and mentioned that Subway bread/meats don't deserve the health claim and referenced this chemical for the bread. Subway was than forced to mention it as true and removed it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/subway-n...-in-our-bread/

On a recent CBC report, researchers found that Subway's chicken breast was only 50% chicken DNA, the rest was all dam fillers. Its interesting what goes into food and the level of food fraud that occurs EVERYWHERE!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mark...food-1.3993967
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:03 AM   #128
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
There is some legit truth to that claim. What all got started this was Michelle Obama was giving a speech on healthy eating to a bunch of school children and I believe she referenced Subway sandwiches.

Somebody noticed this and mentioned that Subway bread/meats don't deserve the health claim and referenced this chemical for the bread. Subway was than forced to mention it as true and removed it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/subway-n...-in-our-bread/

On a recent CBC report, researchers found that Subway's chicken breast was only 50% chicken DNA, the rest was all dam fillers. Its interesting what goes into food and the level of food fraud that occurs EVERYWHERE!!

The problem isn't that Subway has garbage food. They absolutely do. The problem is they were forced to removed azodicarbonamide because the science-illiterate blogger Vani Hari (Food Babe) made the case it was unhealthy using the laughable arguments that "it's hard to pronounce" and "they use it to make yoga mats". She makes the false claim that only natural food is good and doesn't understand what toxins are, or how they work. While railing against sugar she sells food loaded with it in her store.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 07:46 AM   #129
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The yoga mat chemical is a pretty dumb argument. I could say that everything you eat and drink has a substance used in nuclear reactors! OMG Panic! But it's just water.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:20 AM   #130
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Was @ A&W in Franklin yesterday and I asked about the all day breakfast and the staff got into a full blown argument with each other about whether or not they serve all items or not.

Eventually the manager came out and told the staff to never tell customers they serve all items such as the platters because once they put burger meat on the grill, they aren't allowed to use it for bacon, eggs, sausages, pancakes, etc. anymore.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 08:26 AM   #131
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Subway bread is disgusting and OMG that smell. I remember when they put the Subway in the basement of Mac Hall and it stank up the entire place. Subways should only be allowed in areas of heavy wind.

I prefer sandwich shops which a) are bakeries or b) buy their bread from bakeries.
That smell is disgusting, and it clings to your clothes, just from the short time being in the store.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:28 PM   #132
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Forget about Subway's buns, what the heck are they putting in their chicken when it's only 50% chicken????

username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:18 PM   #133
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Forget about Subway's buns, what the heck are they putting in their chicken when it's only 50% chicken????

had you bothered to read the article you referenced, you would know the answer is soy.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:21 PM   #134
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

mmmm, restructured products
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:36 PM   #135
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
had you bothered to read the article you referenced, you would know the answer is soy.
I'm sure it's just soy.........
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:30 PM   #136
wontondestruction
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

File this under first world problems, but the McGriddle is only available during breakfast hours. What a disappointment. I was looking forward to having it for dinner, but had to settle for a bacon McMuffin.
wontondestruction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wontondestruction For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2017, 02:38 PM   #137
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontondestruction View Post
File this under first world problems, but the McGriddle is only available during breakfast hours. What a disappointment. I was looking forward to having it for dinner, but had to settle for a bacon McMuffin.
Thoughts and Prayers, Thoughts and Prayers.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2017, 03:19 PM   #138
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Which A&Ws are offering the breakfast platters all day?
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote