Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #21
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Genius? More like desperation. DC wants what Marvel has, which is having commercial success with multiple characters, and not just one (two if you count Superman). Any idiot could plan the way DC has; Batman, Superman, and Batman/Superman! Everything else they've attempted has failed miserably (Green Lantern, Catwoman, Jonah Hex).

Heck Fassbender was already in a ####ty DC movie (Jonah Hex), so who knows if he would even want to come there and do a bunch of Batman movies.

Time will tell if their plan will actually succeed, but "genius" is not the right word to use; 'obvious' would be a better word.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #22
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You seem to be getting worked up, so I will downgrade from "genius."

But I'm only willing to downgrade as far as "smart."
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #23
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post

Heck Fassbender was already in a ####ty DC movie (Jonah Hex), so who knows if he would even want to come there and do a bunch of Batman movies..
Bad movies happen, I doubt an actor is going to reject a role like Batman cause he was in a bad movie before. I'd imagine the biggest stumbling block would be being tied up to two huge franchises. That's a lot of his acting time tied to basically two projects (Batman and Xmen) and I wonder if DC wants a guy who is already playing an iconic Marvel villain.

Though more and more actors are being known for more then one huge character.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:04 PM   #24
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
If they got Fassbender I think both 3 Justin 3 and I may die of excitement.
Justin was perma banned for literally (Literally..) posting a cum shot in the Funny pictures thread. I'd imagine when he tries to sign up again his new username will be 69 Fassbender 69.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:02 AM   #25
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Justin was perma banned for literally (Literally..) posting a cum shot in the Funny pictures thread. I'd imagine when he tries to sign up again his new username will be 69 Fassbender 69.
My word? Really. Disgusting.

Maybe he watched Shame all the times for more than how well acted it is.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2013, 12:42 AM   #26
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't get me wrong, I think Fassbender would be a great choice. Although even if we was willing to do it (which I kinda doubt with all the other stuff he has going on), wouldn't he ask for just as much as Christian Bale would? Besides they probably want whoever they choose to sign a 6-7 picture deal, and he might not be up for that.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:52 AM   #27
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Armie Hammer was going to be Batman in the planned/scrapped Justice League movie. I wonder if they'd approach him again or if his stock is down after Lone Ranger.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #28
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

They need to do a Superman movie right first, *sigh*.

Maybe this will finally produce something positive for that?
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesrule_kipper34 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #29
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Genius? More like desperation. DC wants what Marvel has, which is having commercial success with multiple characters, and not just one (two if you count Superman). Any idiot could plan the way DC has; Batman, Superman, and Batman/Superman! Everything else they've attempted has failed miserably (Green Lantern, Catwoman, Jonah Hex).

Heck Fassbender was already in a ####ty DC movie (Jonah Hex), so who knows if he would even want to come there and do a bunch of Batman movies.

Time will tell if their plan will actually succeed, but "genius" is not the right word to use; 'obvious' would be a better word.

Marvel has had its fair share of flops: Ghostrider, Punisher, Elektra, Daredevil, etc..

DC also has more than just Superman/Batman. They have the Watchmen, Red, a Hstory of Violence, V for Vendetta, Constantine, Road to Perdition, etc..
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #30
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As I have perused the interwebz for stuff about this, I have discovered that there is a real distaste for everything David Goyer. It seems everybody but the film studio really hates that guy.

Why? Is it based on the Batman trilogy? What else has he written that people hate him so much?
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #31
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Do not feed the trolls.

And I thought my replies were long winded and inflated..
Old 07-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #32
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Marvel has had its fair share of flops: Ghostrider, Punisher, Elektra, Daredevil, etc..

DC also has more than just Superman/Batman. They have the Watchmen, Red, a Hstory of Violence, V for Vendetta, Constantine, Road to Perdition, etc..
All of those Marvel flops were done by other studios though, before Marvel started making the movies themselves. And now they finally have the movie rights back for all of those franchises, so we can be sure to see reboots that probably won't suck

http://io9.com/marvels-got-the-blade...ovie-493113182
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #33
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Do not feed the trolls.

And I thought my replies were long winded and inflated..
It's the truth though, Marvel has succeeded at promoting many superheros at different studios. Sure some did not fare well initially, but like Hemi Cuda said a lot of that was because of other studios involvement. Those were also very early in the game when there was less of an idea of how to make comic book movies.

Some of those weren't flops anyway. Ghost Rider made enough to be turned into a sequel (that one failed though), The Fantastic Four movies performed well at the box office, Daredevil at least made money, and the original Punisher movie broke even. Realistically in terms of box office numbers Marvel has been involved with very few failures. Even Iron Man 3 which wasn't very good has done huge business and is the 5th highest grossing movie of all time.

Meanwhile over at DC they've really only made a few successful movies in terms of financial considerations. Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises of course are the two most noteworthy. Man of Steel has done alright, but not what many had expected, it won't even come close to passing the Amazing Spider-Man reboot for example. After that there is slim pickings: Watchmen actually did not come close to breaking even, and lost more at the box office than any Marvel movie. Constantine performed admirably, but not enough to warrant a sequel. V put up similar box office results as Constantine, but once again none of them were major hits. Then of course there was Superman Returns, but I won't even get into how miserably that one failed.

Of course I am not talking in terms of quality of the movies themselves, as that's a different argument altogether. But in terms of financial results DC is jealous of what Marvel has (and keeps on doing), and is finally getting around to developing their own Universe, something that should have begun years ago.

Oh and I am not a Marvel "troll" so get that out of your head. I think on average DC movies are probably better than Marvel movies, and nothing Marvel has done can match the Nolan Batman movies. I also quite liked Man of Steel, and didn't like Iron Man 3 as much. So no troll here, just couldn't help myself when someone called this a "genius" move.

Last edited by trackercowe; 07-22-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #34
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes....a German Batman......that'll be awesome.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #35
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
All of those Marvel flops were done by other studios though, before Marvel started making the movies themselves. And now they finally have the movie rights back for all of those franchises, so we can be sure to see reboots that probably won't suck

http://io9.com/marvels-got-the-blade...ovie-493113182
If you're limiting it just to Marvel Studios movies, then you have only Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, and the Hulk.

The Hulk movies were not good. Captain America and Thor were pretty mediocre IMO. Basically, the entire success of the studio is the result of RDJ's portrayal of Tony Stark. Take him out of the equation and things look a lot less rosy.

Realistically Marvel Studios has 3 successful franchises vs. DC's 2.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #36
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
If you're limiting it just to Marvel Studios movies, then you have only Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, and the Hulk.

The Hulk movies were not good. Captain America and Thor were pretty mediocre IMO. Basically, the entire success of the studio is the result of RDJ's portrayal of Tony Stark. Take him out of the equation and things look a lot less rosy.

Realistically Marvel Studios has 3 successful franchises vs. DC's 2.
Wow, understatement of the decade. Those movies sucked out loud.

The first one didnt even hit theaters before they deemed it 'suckage-incarnate' and declared that it never happened and there was a new one in the works.

And that one, while better, was still garbage. To the point where Ed Norton refused to reprise the role for the Avengers.

Just awful.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #37
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the feeling towards Norton was pretty mutual. He is just not a very pleasant guy to deal with on all accounts. They made the right choice replacing him with the much more likable Ruffalo. Dunno if Ruffalo can carry his own movie though, so they might have to find ways around that.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #38
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Complete shot in the dark but I have a feeling Bruce Wayne will be played by Ryan Gosling.

Fassbender would be awesome, however I'm curious if he is contractually not allowed to work for DC now that he's an X-men (Marvel) actor.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #39
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the feeling towards Norton was pretty mutual. He is just not a very pleasant guy to deal with on all accounts. They made the right choice replacing him with the much more likable Ruffalo. Dunno if Ruffalo can carry his own movie though, so they might have to find ways around that.
Or.....just dont make movies about the Hulk.

Seriously, by now the army ought to have figured out that its a lost cause and just leave him alone.

And no one wants to watch a movie about Bruce Banner quietly sobbing and masturbating alone in Calcutta.

Or, if they do they should still not make that film. Just no.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #40
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
Complete shot in the dark but I have a feeling Bruce Wayne will be played by Ryan Gosling.

Fassbender would be awesome, however I'm curious if he is contractually not allowed to work for DC now that he's an X-men (Marvel) actor.
I've always wanted Gosling to take part in a series like this, but he's turned down offers in the past, so who knows if he'd accept the role. He should have been Captain America for example, much better choice than Chris Evans.