Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #41
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

We had acacia put in last year, and I thought it was supposed to be fairly hard but practically anything scratches it or dents it. If I stare at it the wrong way, it dents. I don't know if we got ripped off on some substandard acacia or the finish on it is just poor. Meanwhile, or 15 yr old site finished oak in the kitchen can handle anything falling on it.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #42
Rjcsjc62
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Bumping for a question about my new deck.

I have poured my concrete supports, and I want to get to the deck building, but first I want to lay down some filter fabric under the deck and put down some gravel on top.

It is a small deck so I only need about +- 2 yards of gravel.

Unfortunately I do not have a manly enough truck for this. So does anybody know a) what type of gravel I need? and b) who will deliver such a small quantity to my driveway in Cougar Ridge.

Thanks in advance.
Rjcsjc62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:48 AM   #43
Mattington
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I used 25mm crushed gravel from Burnco, they delivered it right to my driveway. I remember the actual delivery of the stuff costing about the same (or more) than what I actually paid for the gravel. I don't remember exactly but I think I had them deliver around 2 yards of gravel (12' x 24' deck). Burnco also has samples of all of their bulk products so you can get a feel for what you are getting.
Mattington is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mattington For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #44
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

you might want to try and find someone other than Burnco to supply and deliver the gravel as thier charge will likely be cheaper. also, home Depot sells bags of gravel - for the amount you need, it might be cheaper to make a couple of runs to HD.

As an aside, buy the good fabric, and if you can, use two layers to make it that much harder for stuf to grow thru.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #45
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I ordered a sand/stone mixture for under my deck from a calgary based company, let me see if I can find the address. The did not charge for delivery and dropped onto my driveway.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #46
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Found the site. I have used them and so has a buddy of mine who recommended them to me. I found the prices to be competitive with Burnco, especially since delivery is included.

http://igravel.net/default.aspx
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #47
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Red John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red John For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #48
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bump again! Sliver or Reaper did you guys ever decide on a material to use? I am about to start framing up a deck this weekend, I looked at the Ipe mentioned and though it's nice I wonder about local availability and price?

At this point I am leaning towards pressure treated and screws on top, only because I don't think getting underneath the deck will be an option as it's quite low.

Seems like it'd be a waste to put Ipe on and then plop big ugly screws through it.
TheGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #49
jdso
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I used the Hidden Link fasteners for my composite decking. Hides the screws pretty well but takes a bit longer to install instead of just driving the screws on top. Also works for low decks since it installs on top of the joists. I might have a box kicking around that you can have if you're interested.

http://www.shadoetrack.com/products/hiddenLink.php
jdso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #50
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdso View Post
I used the Hidden Link fasteners for my composite decking. Hides the screws pretty well but takes a bit longer to install instead of just driving the screws on top. Also works for low decks since it installs on top of the joists. I might have a box kicking around that you can have if you're interested.

http://www.shadoetrack.com/products/hiddenLink.php
Silly question, it looks like it only screws into one side of each deck board, how do you make sure both sides are tacked down?

Also, I am scared about using it with wood in our dry climate as I assume there would be additional shrinkage and fairly large gaps. (not an issue with composite).

Thanks for the insights!
TheGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #51
jdso
Backup Goalie

Exp:

You screw in the links to both sides. One link is screwed to the joist while the other is slid under the previous plank so that it doesn't pop up. No issues yet after a few years. Good luck with the deck!
jdso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:01 PM   #52
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I see you can now buy brown and grey pressure treated lumber and decking instead of just the green pt. Have any of you guys used this for decking? If so, how did it turn out (pictures would be great if possible)?

I can't seem to find many photos showing it in use, the only place I've seen it in Calgary is in the park across from the Bow and it looks ok there.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:16 AM   #53
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
I see you can now buy brown and grey pressure treated lumber and decking instead of just the green pt. Have any of you guys used this for decking? If so, how did it turn out (pictures would be great if possible)?

I can't seem to find many photos showing it in use, the only place I've seen it in Calgary is in the park across from the Bow and it looks ok there.
I used all brown treated 2x6s for my decking and it looks great!

I also used the kregg screw system so you can't see any of the screws.https://www.kregtool.com/store/c24/d...ories/#tab1357

Spoiler!

Last edited by indes; 05-16-2016 at 12:22 AM.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2016, 01:55 PM   #54
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anything other than Duradeck for sealing deck ?

I am replacing my 12 x 22 back deck this summer but want to keep the area underneath dry as I use it for storage. Lawnmower, kids bikes stuff etc...

I would love a composite product that I can DIY install.

Any options available ??

Thanks.

Last edited by Nufy; 05-18-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Nufy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:17 PM   #55
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just helped my Dad do his deck with the brown pressure treated wood and it looks awesome. When I do my deck in a couple years that's what I'll be using.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:35 PM   #56
linecook
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post

I am replacing my 17 x 22 back deck this summer but want to keep the area underneath dry as I use it for storage. Lawnmower, kids bikes stuff etc...

Any options available ??

Thanks.
Check out Dek-Master from Rona. I did Duradeck personally but noticed it at Rona for about a quarter of the cost (if you do it yourself).
linecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:38 PM   #57
linecook
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post

I just built a landing over the weekend using it. It looks good but I found the boards were not consistent in colour. Over time, I'm sure they'll all fade to the same.
linecook is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to linecook For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2016, 07:15 AM   #58
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone use the Camo Marksman tool before?

https://www.lowes.ca/drill-accessori..._g1715255.html

I like the fact that it screws down both sides of the deck board.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2016, 08:00 PM   #59
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post

I am replacing my 17 x 22 back deck this summer but want to keep the area underneath dry as I use it for storage. Lawnmower, kids bikes stuff etc...

Any options available ??

Thanks.
http://www.trexrainescape.com/
and then regular deck boards overtop. I think you can get it through the Cedar Shop
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:33 PM   #60
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only advice I can give is that as far as the lattice goes, I would leave 1 side off. If you give the inspector the option of crawling under a deck, even though they will never do it, it gives them the option to look if they want. Putting all of it up might seem like you're hiding something. And like it was mentioned earlier, if the inspector isn't happy about the height you can apply for a variance.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote