Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-17-2016, 09:49 PM   #61
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post

I am replacing my 17 x 22 back deck this summer but want to keep the area underneath dry as I use it for storage.

Thanks.
It's rare to have a 17' length on a deck as common lumber sizes max out at 16', how was your deck built? Are the joists supported by one or 2 rows of beams? Just curious, that's a large deck.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:58 AM   #62
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
It's rare to have a 17' length on a deck as common lumber sizes max out at 16', how was your deck built? Are the joists supported by one or 2 rows of beams? Just curious, that's a large deck.
Whoops..Typo there...its actually 12 x 22.

And yeah, the guy who built it didn't have a clue...hence my need to replace it.

Last edited by Nufy; 05-18-2016 at 09:03 AM.
Nufy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:46 PM   #63
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I want to try something like this for water proof decking.

https://craft-bilt.com/aluminum-decking/
http://www.nexaninc.com/products/dec...rproof-decking
http://wahoodecks.com/ariddek-aluminum-decking-boards/
or
http://wahoodecks.com/fortis-aluminum-decking-boards/
Old 05-19-2016, 03:15 PM   #64
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Interesting and timely that I see this post. I just went through a house I am buying with a home inspector. The house, built in 1989, has a water proof deck with siding and windows for cold storage underneath. Four years ago the homeowner replaced the decking as it was leaking where the railing posts were mounted and rotted the rim joist. Now in looks like a couple of leaks are forming again. I feel this will be the vain of my home ownership. It’s just next to impossible to keep a flat surface from leaking. I think for the short term I’m just going to paint the rim joist and then decide long-term if I want this cold storage room.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:59 PM   #65
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
Common lumber at the big box stores maybe. Common lumber at a lumber yard easily comes in 20' and 24' lengths.

When sourcing your lumber/composite it's definitely worth calling around to get quotes once you know how much you need. You're going to want it delivered anyway so no reason to buy at a box store when there are numerous local lumber yards that will have better prices (and better lumber).
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:48 AM   #66
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does anyone know a good contractor for a deck? We already have a large deck, but are considering, replacing it with something larger, or keeping it the same size, but replacing the wood so I don't have to stain all the time. We also want the railing replaced with a metal railing.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:14 AM   #67
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had my deck rebuilt last year. I went from cedar to Trex.

Lowe's had a 20% off sale on Trex at this time of year. I used them for materials and labor. My deck is 12' x 20' with 3 stairs. The deck and stairs are fully enclosed and I went with metal railing as well.

All in cost was $8500.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #68
justkidding
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Does anyone know a good contractor for a deck? We already have a large deck, but are considering, replacing it with something larger, or keeping it the same size, but replacing the wood so I don't have to stain all the time. We also want the railing replaced with a metal railing.
Had our deck rebuilt by Busy Beaver Construction last year. It's about 15 x 15 and built with timber tech decking, aluminium and glass railing, 14 stairs over our walk out basement. I think it was around $10k. They did an amazing job.
justkidding is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justkidding For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2017, 07:59 PM   #69
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I reread this thread since I'm in the planning stages of my deck for next year, and the idea of using ipe really interests me. Do you still frame everything out with pressure treated wood and then use ipe for the decking?
V is online now   Reply With Quote