Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 04-23-2016, 09:41 AM   #61
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm using Aviva and have had a great experience. I had 2 home break-ins this year and they've treated me very well in getting everything sorted out, damage repaired, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iceman90 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2016, 12:09 PM   #62
bigbadboss101
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
I'm using Aviva and have had a great experience. I had 2 home break-ins this year and they've treated me very well in getting everything sorted out, damage repaired, etc.
I am about to go with Aviva. Saw some negative reviews online but the ones on here are all good!
bigbadboss101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:15 PM   #63
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think every company will have positive and negative reviews online.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2016, 12:42 PM   #64
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was with Wawanesa for the longest time for my cars, and AMA for the house. AMA went up to about $115/month last year and two cars with Wawanesa were $172/month.

I had a Rogers monitored home security system installed at the beginning of the year and they promoted a discount with Allstate (I had a monitored system before). I called them and with the Rogers discount and all the other discounts I'm paying $55/month on the house and $160/month for the cars.

Apparently Allstate just set up shop in Western Canada for property insurance in the year Calgary had the flood so they weren't exposed to all the claims. They kept their rates down since then to try and pick up new business. That being said, I do expect them to go up over time but they still have a long way to catch up to what I was paying before.

In terms of service, luckily I haven't made a claim in over 20 years so I couldn't tell you who's good or bad but so far, so good.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:55 PM   #65
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

My cars are with Aviva, and they were excellent to deal with when my car was hail damaged a few years back.

My house was with cooperators, but with cooperators costing me more than 2x the amount Costco Innova was able to offer via Dominion (coverage was better too), I switched to them.
sworkhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:00 PM   #66
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
TD has been good on the couple of car and hail claims I've had, but I too have heard they have really clamped down lately to try and recover from flood losses. The difference in premiums is almost $1,000 for house and auto now and worst of all they have a limit of $25,000 for sewer backup.

Travellers appears the cheapest as I understand they are hungry for business. Would love to know if they are as good as TD to work with.
I added a third vehicle to my policy a year ago, told them (TD) to match the policy on my previous two vehicle which they did.... but changed the comprehensive deductible from $250 to $500. Lucky for them the car that just got hail damage is the $500 deductible policy.

I asked them why they would recommenced $250 deductible on my two cars that I drive a combined 1,000km's max per year but $500 on the car that gets driven 20,000km's. They couldn't tell me why that happened. Out of curiosity I asked them what the difference was on my premiums to go from $500 down to $250 deductibles.... under $20/year. ####ers! I told them the odds of having 1 comprehensive claim in the next 10 years is probably pretty high and they agreed. Thanks TD.

And yes I should have read the specifics of the policy closer but still chaps my ass. As soon as I get through this hail claim I'm shopping around.

Last edited by rohara66; 08-31-2016 at 01:02 PM.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:03 PM   #67
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also is it common to have rental car coverage for a comprehensive claim?
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:39 AM   #68
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any new comments on good/bad? My home insurance went up 50% in 3 years, so it's time to shop around. I am with RBC which was bought by Aviva.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:05 PM   #69
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I used Link Insurance http://www.linkinsurance.ca/

My insurance costs for home and vehicle went way down. Ended up with Aviva.
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:08 PM   #70
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I pay mine with SGI annually.
No changes to the policy (that I've initiated anyways)
No claims made

June 2014 - $1002
June 2015 - $1202
June 2016 - $1389
June 2017 - $1581

Anyone else seeing increases like this?
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:10 PM   #71
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our has increased by similar amounts over the past several years as well. Floods, hail, fires etc., it's been a bad few years for the insurance industry and I guess it's time to pay the piper.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:14 PM   #72
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
I pay mine with SGI annually.
No changes to the policy (that I've initiated anyways)
No claims made

June 2014 - $1002
June 2015 - $1202
June 2016 - $1389
June 2017 - $1581

Anyone else seeing increases like this?
That looks pretty much exactly like mine, but I think over 3 years, not 4. I spoke to them and he said it was becuase of the floods and fires in Alberta. I told him I didn't live on a floodplain and my house was fireproof. Didn't make a difference....
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:18 PM   #73
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Our has increased by similar amounts over the past several years as well. Floods, hail, fires etc., it's been a bad few years for the insurance industry and I guess it's time to pay the piper.
Since '13 the insurance industry has really been taking it in the pooper.

Floods, Hail and Fort McMurray spreads the pain to everyone.

He is a good read on the state of the industry, from the industry

http://assets.ibc.ca/Documents/Facts...-Book-2016.pdf

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:01 PM   #74
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If you've been to post secondary school and are with TD you get some pretty big discounts.

I saved $700 a year on auto because I attended Mount Royal. The savings on home insurance wasn't much or anything at all IIRC.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:26 PM   #75
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I got insurance through TD after moving back to Canada from overseas. Other companies I spoke with were going to treat me as a new driver, since I had gone over 6 months without owning a car. So, basically, I chose them for the premium price.

Last summer, I finally had a claim, due to hail. They were great to deal with, gave me more money when I asked for it (siding colour had been discontinued), and didn't deduct money for depreciation of my house. My friend had a claim from the same storm with a different company and they cut her payout in half, due to depreciation.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:00 PM   #76
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

TD's been a mixed bag for me. Some good experience with claims and customer service. On the downside they decided to 'forget' a change to a policy I'd made so I ended up being on the hook for part of another claim. They were supposed to find the original recorded conversations but never followed up.

Then because I had a few claims on a rental property they degraded coverage and jacked my deductible to $2500 on my primary residence even though I've never had a claim on my primary residence, but because I happen to be the same person on the policies on the different places that means my primary residence is at higher risk. Or something.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:42 AM   #77
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Good question.

I haven't dealt with a broker in Calgary for over 5 years.

I believe that Haggett & Rogers Insurance Group is still independent.

http://www.insuranceagencies.com/

My example of Brokerlink, is a reference to them being owned by Intact Insurance.

I've been happy with this group for home and auto FWIW. They also got my sister a much lower rate on her auto vs State Farm.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:31 AM   #78
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Looking for quotes for my condo from Costco Inova, it says:
Travelers $48 per month
Pem Bridge $83 per month
Aviva $93 per month
Economical $99 per month

Why such a price difference? It appears to be the same coverage for all 4. Is there any reason not to go with the cheapest?
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:26 AM   #79
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic View Post
Looking for quotes for my condo from Costco Inova, it says:
Travelers $48 per month
Pem Bridge $83 per month
Aviva $93 per month
Economical $99 per month

Why such a price difference? It appears to be the same coverage for all 4. Is there any reason not to go with the cheapest?
Not sure for the price difference, maybe Travelers is trying to expand their market and are being aggressive in pricing, or believe you are lower risk than the others. If you never have a claim, the cheapest may be best. But if you ever have a serious house claim, you want the one that has good claim services, so maybe check some claim reviews.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RW99 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2022, 08:39 PM   #80
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Resurrecting this thread, as it looks to be the most appropriate. I’m reviewing our home insurance because it jumped quite a bit this year (no claims for us since we’ve lived here for 15 years), and I see the policy is for a global amount of $3 million, covering dwelling, property and living expenses. Also $1 million liability. That seems rather high for my $370ish home. Or is this the lowest standard amount?
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:

Tags
calgary , home insurnace , home ownership newbie , wawanesa