Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 1/3 of the way through: 2013 awards discussion

There have been some great performances through the first 1/3 of the season. I always like to start the discussion on awards around 20-25 games in regular 82 game seasons, so let's get it going around 15 games in this year.

Hart Trophy:

Viktor Fasth has been unbelievable, rocketing the Ducks to the top of the Western Conference with an 8-0-0 record, .933 sv%, and 1.78 GAA. If he keeps those numbers up in this shortened season I don't see a scenario where he doesn't win the Vezina at least, and maybe the Hart, too. He would be the first goalie to win since Jose Theodore stole it from Jarome in 2002.

Jonathan Toews is the best player on the best team in the NHL. Blackhawks are 12-0-3 and Toews has racked up a point a game and been a beast in the faceoff circle

Sidney Crosby has 24 points in 16 games and the Penguins are at the top of the Eastern Conference. In his last 82 regular season games he's scored 136 points, which is just insane. Best player in the game by far and if the Penguins finish top of the East he's got a great shot at the Hart.

Jack Adams:

Bruce Boudreau has a Ducks team that finished 34-36-12 off to a 12-2-1 start early this season. With a core that has won before, the Ducks could really make some noise in the Western Conference.

Michel Therrien has the Canadiens off to a great start at 10-4-1 after finishing last season in the basement of the Eastern Conference.

Randy Carlyle's Maple Leafs are playing quite well, but can Toronto keep up the good start? They haven't been able to in the past.

Vezina Trophy:

Pekka Rinne is doing what he usually does in Nashville. .938 sv% and a 1.58 GAA so far this year.

Viktor Fasth is 8-0-0 and pretty impressive so far in Anaheim.

Carey Price has been great so far for the Canadiens. 8-3-0 with a .922 sv% and 2.06 GAA.

Craig Anderson is 7-4-2 with a .948 sv% and a 1.68 GAA, will that change now with Erik Karlsson done for the year and Spezza not returning in the near future?

Stats-based trophies:

James Neal or John Tavares is my guess for the Richard trophy, Sidney Crosby for the Art Ross.

Norris Trophy:

This one's way too close to call at this point, especially with Karlsson out for the rest of the year. Early guess is Kris Letang or Alex Pietrangelo but honestly who knows. This one is totally up for grabs.

Selke Trophy:

Could be any of Jonathan Toews, Pavel Datsyuk, or Patrice Bergeron. Another one that's definitely up for grabs for whoever wants it most!

Calder Trophy:

Cory Conacher and Vladimir Tarasenko are off to pretty good starts for their teams. Jake Allen has been solid so far in net for the Blues, but does he keep the job when Halak returns?

Lady Byng Trophy:

No one really cares, but I think Martin St. Louis is the favorite for this one.

Last edited by malcolmk14; 02-19-2013 at 04:09 PM.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Might be the Austrian in me speaking, but at this point, Thomas Vanek has to be a frontrunner for the Hart.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good stuff, the title should be changed to 1/3 of the way through since after tonight's games, half of the league will have played 16 games.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hwy19man For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Might be the Austrian in me speaking, but at this point, Thomas Vanek has to be a frontrunner for the Hart.
I thought about him, but didn't include him for two reasons.

1. His team is 6-9-1, Hart winners are usually on playoff teams.
2. 10 of his 25 points have been from two games, which tells me he won't be keeping up his insane pace throughout the whole season. In the other 13 games he's gotten 15 points which is roughly where I'd expect him to be. If he finishes the season with 55-60 and Crosby is around 70-75 on a top playoff team, I just don't see him getting MVP consideration.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I might be biased as a Flames fan but I think Jay Bouwmeester deserves some consideration for the Norris.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Other predictions:

#1 overall pick: Columbus Blue Jackets or Edmonton Oilers
Eastern Conference Finals: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Boston Bruins
Western Conference Finals: Chicago Blackhawks vs. St Louis Blues
Stanley Cup Finals: Boston Bruins vs. Chicago Blackhawks
Old 02-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I might be biased as a Flames fan but I think Jay Bouwmeester deserves some consideration for the Norris.
You're definitely biased as a Flames fan. He's having a good season, but even just on the Flames Wideman has been the better player.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Viktor Fasth has been unbelievable, rocketing the Ducks to the top of the Western Conference with an 8-0-0 record, .933 sv%, and 1.78 GAA. If he keeps those numbers up in this shortened season I don't see a scenario where he doesn't win the Vezina at least, and maybe the Hart, too. He would be the first goalie to win since Jose Theodore stole it from Jarome in 2002.
So much ####ing hype... his numbers aren't even top 5 in either category. Yet you're saying Hart contender? Come on.
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #9
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Patrick Kane should be on the list for the Hart imo. He has become a more complete player after playing in Europe for a couple months. Kane has been absolutely dominant in a few games thus far this season, and has been better than Toews.

I'd put him 1-2 with Crosby thus far for the Hart.

Still pissed at what he did to us a few weeks back of course... and that I passed him up in my fantasy draft.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #10
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hype for Fasth, yes and remember it is only 1/3 of the season. He has been stellar in goal and is definitely a Vezina candidate as of right now.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hwy19man For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

You have to give Quenneville the Jack Adams of course. No losses in regulation after 15 games puts him above the rest.

I'd wager many people thought he would be the first coach ousted this season as well.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR_Six View Post
So much ####ing hype... his numbers aren't even top 5 in either category. Yet you're saying Hart contender? Come on.
So if he keeps up his .930+ sv% and 1.78 GAA and finishes the season 30-7 on the top team in the West or something like that you wouldn't consider him for the Hart? Of course, he's been good for 1/3 of a season, and I did qualify my opinion by saying "if he keeps it up". Which I personally don't think he can, but it's a short season, who knows.

Instead of swearing and making antagonistic posts attacking people why don't you post your own thoughts or get out?

Your posts make me sad.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #13
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How about you grow some thicker skin and when you make a thread about awards and your first name under the Hart is a guy who wouldn't win it now and has basically zero chance of winning it in the end, and someone points out that it's ridiculous, you don't get all offended?

Tell you what, 20 bucks says VF doesn't win the Hart or the Vezina. Paypal. Deal?

As for my opinion, it's not controversial:
Hart = Crosby
Vezina = Anderson (he won't win it in the end but if you have to hand it out now it's a no-brainer)
Norris = Pietrangelo
Adams = Boudreau
Selke = Toews
Calder = Tarasenko
Old 02-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #14
Sakari
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
If the season ended tonight, he'd be a finalist. 100 percent guaranteed. That's the point in the thread. Things change. Do we honestly think Tomas Vanek will be the Art Ross winner? Hell no! Not with someone like freakin' SIDNEY CROSBY behind him. But if the season ended today, he WOULD win it.
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #15
Sakari
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

How about you grow some thicker skin and when you make a thread about awards and your first name under the Hart is a guy who wouldn't win it now and has basically zero chance of winning it in the end, and someone points out that it's ridiculous, you don't get all offended?

Tell you what, 20 bucks says VF doesn't win the Hart or the Vezina. Paypal. Deal?

As for my opinion, it's not controversial:
Hart = Crosby
Vezina = Anderson (he won't win it in the end but if you have to hand it out now it's a no-brainer)
Norris = Pietrangelo
Adams = Boudreau
Selke = Toews
Calder = Tarasenko
Don't have any words to describe the lunacy here, just a song.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sakari For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #16
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still choked I didn't put money down on Neal winning the Rocket Richard at 40-1 odds.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #17
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakari View Post
Don't have any words to describe the lunacy here, just a song.
No contradiction. Fasth is all hype and wouldn't win the Hart now or even be a finalist at the moment. He's played well for a kickass team that's firing on all cylinders, but he's not even been the best GOALIE in the league to date which is why he's 6th in sv% and 8th in GAA, and he's only played EIGHT GAMES. You might as well put forward Roberto Luongo's name for the Hart - also 8 games in but with better GAA and sv% than VF. Is anyone saying Luongo for MVP? Hell no, because it's absurd.

My selections are debatable but not controversial. If you want to call Kane for MVP to date, I have no argument. If you want to call Rinne for Vezina, cool. But the Fasth thing is not reality, it's all storyline.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #18
Sakari
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
No contradiction. Fasth is all hype and wouldn't win the Hart now or even be a finalist at the moment. He's played well for a kickass team that's firing on all cylinders, but he's not even been the best GOALIE in the league to date which is why he's 6th in sv% and 8th in GAA, and he's only played EIGHT GAMES. You might as well put forward Roberto Luongo's name for the Hart - also 8 games in but with better GAA and sv% than VF. Is anyone saying Luongo for MVP? Hell no, because it's absurd.

My selections are debatable but not controversial. If you want to call Kane for MVP to date, I have no argument. If you want to call Rinne for Vezina, cool. But the Fasth thing is not reality, it's all storyline.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #19
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Kane is among the scoring leaders. Those guys generally get attention for the Hart. If you play on a good team, you may or may not be a scoring leader. Please note that Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf are among the top 30 in NHL scoring despite playing for the Ducks. Playing on a team that is beating the world does not necessarily mean that you're scoring at an unsustainable rate. Kane is just plain good.

Fasth is a goalie. As a goalie, if you're playing behind a team that's kicking all kinds of ass, you probably are going to have good statistics - see Corey Crawford. This does not mean you are primarily responsible for them. Team defense and systems play a large role in goaltending stats - see Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliot and Mike Smith last year. See Ilya Bryzgalov previously. Any of those guys nominated for the Vezina lately? Or the Hart? No.

Guys like Rinne and Anderson are carrying their teams. The Ducks would be winning whether they had Fasth in net or Hiller. Would Hiller have won all 8? Maybe not, but I would bet he would've won at least 6 anyway and had a similar stat line.

You're just being intentionally obtuse.

Last edited by AR_Six; 02-19-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #20
Sakari
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Kane is among the scoring leaders. Those guys generally get attention for the Hart. If you play on a good team, you may or may not be a scoring leader. Please note that Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf are among the top 30 in NHL scoring despite playing for the Ducks. Playing on a team that is beating the world does not necessarily mean that you're scoring at an unsustainable rate. Kane is just plain good.

Fasth is a goalie. As a goalie, if you're playing behind a team that's kicking all kinds of ass, you probably are going to have good statistics - see Corey Crawford. This does not mean you are primarily responsible for them. Team defense and systems play a large role in goaltending stats - see Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliot and Mike Smith last year. See Ilya Bryzgalov previously. Any of those guys nominated for the Vezina lately? Or the Hart?

You're just being intentionally obtuse
Sounds like a fat joke.

Yes, and Pekka Rinne, playing behind the likes of Ryan Suter and Shea Weber WAS, in fact, nominated for the Vezina.

Playing with names like Toews, Hossa, and Sharp, with guys like Duncan Kieth and Brent Seabrook, under a system that is currently undefeated in regulation, does not effect someones points? I'm not denying Kane's skill, here, because we all know he's talented. Do you honestly think Stamkos would have potted 60 playing without St. Louis? No. Do you think the Sedins would have been as successful without eachother? No. Do you think Iginla would have been better playing with St. Louis? The Sedins? Absolutely!