Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2017, 09:43 AM   #161
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hopefully they learn from this and string together a couple strong games against SJ and Anaheim.

But it won't be easy. Still wish they would of clinched last night and gotten that out of the way.

Last edited by Stanley; 03-30-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:49 AM   #162
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Gaudreau is getting torn apart on HF for faking a slashing injury on the wrong hand.

Pretty funny actually.

Last edited by polak; 03-30-2017 at 09:51 AM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:51 AM   #163
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Yeah I saw that too, I wonder if it's legit . . . slow mo replay does seem to indicate he was slashed on the right hand, not the left.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:53 AM   #164
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
The Power Play is gonna be the bane for the team in the playoffs. Gonna be a quick exit no matter who they face if they don't finally get that in order.

The fact they keep putting out the same lines and same formation with no results is pure incompetence. It's like they want it to fail.
When the Flames' special teams were struggling early in the season the coaching staff cautioned that these things are cyclical, and that every team will tend to run hot and cold all year. It is far too simple and naive to chalk their recent struggles up to "incompetence," especially with the excellent job the coaches have done overall this season.

It was a terrible game. I expect the Flames to be much better on Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 03-30-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:10 AM   #165
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Yeah I saw that too, I wonder if it's legit . . . slow mo replay does seem to indicate he was slashed on the right hand, not the left.
Hard to tell, it looks like the tip of the blade connected with his left hand in some of the other gifs. Either way if the league actually called slashes - he wouldn't need to embellish the calls.

Last edited by Otto-matic; 03-30-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:21 AM   #166
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's known for embellishing and the gif doesn't really show any contract with the left hand clearly. It's no wonder the refs don't believe him.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:22 AM   #167
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the NHL doesn't do something about slashing to the hands I may stop watching hockey.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:25 AM   #168
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
If the NHL doesn't do something about slashing to the hands I may stop watching hockey.
Yeah. Sure you will.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ruttiger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 10:36 AM   #169
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I'm going to hold my breath until I turn blue.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:38 AM   #170
slybomb
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

He did get slashed like 3 times on the play. Maybe one of the first 2 were on the left hand.
slybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slybomb For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 10:41 AM   #171
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybomb View Post
He did get slashed like 3 times on the play. Maybe one of the first 2 were on the left hand.
This, don't get suckered in by a gif on the internet created by an Oilers fan. Roll it back he is slashed on BOTH hands.

Last edited by dino7c; 03-30-2017 at 10:49 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:51 AM   #172
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

He looked like he was in legit pain on the bench. No reason to embellish once you're sitting on the bench as by then the penalty is either called or not called.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 10:56 AM   #173
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He looked like he was in legit pain on the bench. No reason to embellish once you're sitting on the bench as by then the penalty is either called or not called.
Exactly. And I'm not sure why we should care what idiots on HF are saying.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:11 AM   #174
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
The Power Play is gonna be the bane for the team in the playoffs. Gonna be a quick exit no matter who they face if they don't finally get that in order.

The fact they keep putting out the same lines and same formation with no results is pure incompetence. It's like they want it to fail.
I get the impression that the coaching staff is simply trying to let them work their way out of it on their own, and probably just telling them to shoot more and get a body in front. Personally I think they should change up the personnel on the 1st unit, but I'm not a professional hockey coach, so what do I know. But I agree, they'd better figure it out soon or it'll sink them in the playoffs.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:28 AM   #175
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I swear special teams is more of a mental battle of wills than it is systems, structure, personnel or anything else.

You could see as the game wore on and the Flames kept getting more and more frustrated at the lack of scoring, the Kings were getting more and more daring with their pressure on the PP. They were breaking up entries and intercepting passes everywhere. The kings went from collapsing the net to a full court press.

As far as the Flames' PP was concerned. Definitely the goat. Their entries are actually pretty solid, which is a far cry from the start of the season. But everyone was standing still, Gaudreau was trying to dispy doodle his way to feathering the perfect pass through 9 bodies on the ice. When the kings were collapsing the way they were, you just need to start unleashing bombs. Setup the one-timer, whatever. Just shoot the puck, and a bounce will inevitably go their way.

I'm not crazy about some of the personnel that is put out there, but I think its more of an execution problem than a personnel problem.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:30 AM   #176
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2theJ View Post
Was at the game and here are some quick thoughts.
- got too caught-up in the Drew vs Chuckie drama - the kid answered the bell and kept playing the way he plays - Flames should have followed the lead
- powerplay was brutal - make some changes and get the puck on net
- Versteeg was awful - can't count the number of times he tried to be too cute with the puck only to give it away - this is happening far to often and the guy needs to be sat or make simple smart plays
- Chiasson's penalties hurt the team - he makes sloppy, lazy plays - time to try Lazar in his spot
- Ferland was non-existent - his physical play could have helped tip things in the Flames favour but he essentially took the night off - light a fire under this guy - he can be a force when he wants to be
- Can't win every game though, learn and move on and come out with determination on Friday vs the Sharks
Just to be clear. The Flames got too caught up in the physical battle yet that damn Ferland didn't get caught up in it enough. Which one is it? This isn't the first time that I have read this about this game. Make up your mind.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:31 AM   #177
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Exactly. And I'm not sure why we should care what idiots on HF are saying.
What I can't handle on there is how defensive everyone is. I guess it's the same here we just see less of it since we're mostly Flames fans.

You can be a fan of a team and player without defending everything they do.

Looked pretty embarrassing from the gif but who cares. We all know Gaudreau is whiny and embellishes.

As long as he keeps racking up points he can do whatever he wants imo.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:33 AM   #178
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
We all know Gaudreau is whiny and embellishes.
Steady on slim.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:35 AM   #179
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think Ferland has a bit of the Glencross syndrome. He has issues playing the type of game that makes him successful when on a scoring line.

Someone said it last night. He looked too passive. He doesn't have to trow 100 thunderous bodychecks a game, but he needs to play with more of a purpose. The guy has a toolbox that other players would envy, but he has to learn to use it consistently.

For these reasons I'm a little frustrated with regular season Ferland, but not at all worried about playoff Ferland. If he can't figure out that Playoff time is the time to lay it all on the line, then he will forever be that middling player.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 11:35 AM   #180
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
What I can't handle on there is how defensive everyone is. I guess it's the same here we just see less of it since we're mostly Flames fans.

You can be a fan of a team and player without defending everything they do.

Looked pretty embarrassing from the gif but who cares. We all know Gaudreau is whiny and embellishes.

As long as he keeps racking up points he can do whatever he wants imo.
No I don't think that we do.