Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2023, 02:59 PM   #81
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Jays will never be winners with Atkins as GM. He isn’t a leader. He’s a coward.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 03:40 PM   #82
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting strategy throwing the manager under the bus. I'm curious what analytics the Jays are using that tell them to extend Berrios for $130M and that he also shouldn't pitch beyond 3 in the playoffs.

Such a dysfunctional organization. If the Jays won't clean house after that disaster of a season, when will they?
Old 10-07-2023, 03:58 PM   #83
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

There’s still plenty of time for Atkins to get the boot but something tells me he’s in again if he gave Schneider the vote of confidence. Again I think he should be let go but how often do new guys come in in one offseason and make sweeping changes? I’d guess rarely if never. So who better to give the helm to to clean up his own mess then someone who already knows the players. Again, there’s a lot to do here. A lot of guys underperformed and he has to establish quickly who was from outside factors and who will perform going forward. You can’t have a black hole in the lineup if you want to build a championship team. He’s got a lot to correct on the bat side.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 04:01 PM   #84
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also just adding, being executives they have to present their plan to the board of governors. If Atkins doesn’t provide a strategy he wants to execute on, the board will can him.
Old 10-07-2023, 04:59 PM   #85
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
The Jays will never be winners with Atkins as GM. He isn’t a leader. He’s a coward.
Isn't he Shapiro's hand picked coward? As long as Shapiro is there Atkins is safe.
Old 10-07-2023, 05:05 PM   #86
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Isn't he Shapiro's hand picked coward? As long as Shapiro is there Atkins is safe.
Unless the higher ups tell him they aren't happy and he can either give his resignation or fire Atkins.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 05:15 PM   #87
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gutless presser as mentioned.
No surprise he threw him under the bus, but there would be a bigger kerfuffle if he said he or the analytics department made the call.
In theory they did, only because Schneider has to follow the analytics department thst Atkins has approved and provided the autonomy to assist in decision making.
If Schneider went against the Atkins approved analytics department, he would've been canned.

Blue Jays have to sell 100 level reno's and price increases to their most valuable season ticket holders. Blow back from those price increases combined with the way the season went and the GMs avoidenxe of things, may cause some backlash that Ed Rogers and Shapiro will have to answer for...so Atkins is hardly safe at this moment.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2023, 05:50 PM   #88
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still in memoriam after that debacle so have taken a few days off baseball to lick my wounds. Watched that Atkins presser though. What a schmuck. Total used car salesman. I don't trust a word he says.

Oh look, the Astros beat the Twins easily. They'll likely sweep them. Just like last year. A loser franchise on a massive playoff drought somehow embarrasses the Jays only to get swept by the Astros.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 06:01 PM   #89
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynotnow View Post
What free agent pitcher is excited to sign there now after this fiasco?
'Hey, sign with us. If you have a great year maybe you'll be one of our starters if we make the playoffs. And if you start in the playoffs and are pitching fantastic we might even let you pitch into the 3rd or 4th inning before you get the hook.'

Pass.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 06:17 PM   #90
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
'Hey, sign with us. If you have a great year maybe you'll be one of our starters if we make the playoffs. And if you start in the playoffs and are pitching fantastic we might even let you pitch into the 3rd or 4th inning before you get the hook.'

Pass.
Silver lining time.

Jays made the playoffs 3 of the past 4 years.
Playing in a tough division.
Outhit their opponent in the playoffs this year, just the wrong mix of players/batters who couldn't get it done.
Clubhouse and team facilities are some of the best in the league.
Owner is willing to spend, reluctantly but still has the pockets.
Fan base of a country behind them, travels well too.
Team is still in the same winning window it has been these last two years TBH.

As crappy as it is to lose the way they have, Jays have a lot going for them as an overall franchise, on and off the field compared to many other franchises, and as a FA you could do a lot worse.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2023, 09:34 PM   #91
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well if your strategy depends on signing free agents there is the first problem.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2023, 08:21 PM   #92
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
That said, a Toronto front office that prides itself on collaboration and accountability instead appears to have created a culture of paranoia and distrust with those closer to the front line.

General manager Ross Atkins’ rather spectacular rolling of the bus over John Schneider this past weekend is just the latest divide between the front office and the field.

In fact, all three managers who have worked under the Atkins-Mark Shapiro regime have all had varying challenges to their authority and autonomy.

And, as we’ve seen with the Schneider saga, it’s a contentious relationship that also runs the risk of tearing apart a clubhouse. The aftermath of the early end to Jose Berrios’ night in the disastrous Game 2 elimination last week at Target Field undoubtedly will affect the team going forward.
https://torontosun.com/sports/baseba...box=1696883161
Old 10-10-2023, 11:04 AM   #93
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Atkins is the main player here who should be accountable. It’s pretty clear they’re politicians and are nuanced and carefully curate what they say and don’t, but I don’t believe there was a call from above as that article alludes to. There was likely immense pressure pregame to follow the plan, and do what the boss would want - to follow the analytics department. If there was a stronger manager with a track record of employment he could refuse but there’s a need to self preserve and he did what his bosses would want him to do.

Anyway, I think much too much has been made from “the decision”. The bigger issue is the team assembled who just couldn’t bat. That’s the biggest issue, and this was plaguing the team all season.
Old 10-10-2023, 01:27 PM   #94
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Atkins is the main player here who should be accountable. It’s pretty clear they’re politicians and are nuanced and carefully curate what they say and don’t, but I don’t believe there was a call from above as that article alludes to. There was likely immense pressure pregame to follow the plan, and do what the boss would want - to follow the analytics department. If there was a stronger manager with a track record of employment he could refuse but there’s a need to self preserve and he did what his bosses would want him to do.

Anyway, I think much too much has been made from “the decision”. The bigger issue is the team assembled who just couldn’t bat. That’s the biggest issue, and this was plaguing the team all season.
I agree. You can attribute the 2 runs against to Schneider all day, but the 0 runs for is all on Atkins.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2023, 02:40 PM   #95
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
I agree. You can attribute the 2 runs against to Schneider all day, but the 0 runs for is all on Atkins.
And it's not just the players. They should have made a hitting coach change even after last season. Their approach has been flawed for more than one season. It's all about trying to hit homeruns swinging at bad pitches rather than just get a hit and move to the next guy.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 02:56 PM   #96
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
And it's not just the players. They should have made a hitting coach change even after last season. Their approach has been flawed for more than one season. It's all about trying to hit homeruns swinging at bad pitches rather than just get a hit and move to the next guy.
They decided the Teoscar and Lourdis taking wild hacks was the problem, not the coaching. Veterans like Belt and Kiermeier will teach everyone discipline, not the coaching.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 05:00 PM   #97
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

One of the parts that pissed me off this year was not running enough or doing small ball where appropriate. It was hack after hack for nearly every guy, without almost any results. You assembled a team who, when on base, could distract other team's pitchers with the possibility of running, but they were just mediocre. Aside from Vlad and Kirk, everyone else could run. Why not use them more often than not? With the pitch clock it would be perfect to get pitchers off their game. Nobody was situational hitting which just shows it was basic baseball. The running errors showed how dumb they were at times. Little discipline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
They decided the Teoscar and Lourdis taking wild hacks was the problem, not the coaching. Veterans like Belt and Kiermeier will teach everyone discipline, not the coaching.

In hindsight, agreed. I'm not sure Teoscar has anything but bombs, but certainly Lourdis was coachable thought injury prone.

Anyway, I just really hope fans here and everywhere are totally skeptical of everything management does and writers, write. There is little skepticism and total buy in with whatever management sells and it's important to be objective in what's truly been addressed and what has not been. There are a lot of changes needed, and I have my complete doubts anyone will be able to do it when their backs are up against the wall and the sharks are circling knowing major changes are needed. I also think Atkins, knowing the team is the best one to make changes rather than some new person coming in and wanting to sit on it to see what he has. I maintain if they go for a defensive first OF I'm lost as a fan. Good defence is good "hygiene" as they say, but it better not be at the expense of having a below average bat. That's exactly what they had this year to begin with.
Old 10-11-2023, 04:05 PM   #98
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

POS "person" upset he got released for being a POS "person"
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/m...eaks-1.6992717
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 04:12 PM   #99
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bass was a ####ty pitcher who caught lightning in a bottle for a season. He's old and flamed out (no pun intended). At the same time, he's a transphobe and the team butchered the handling of that decision..he was slated to throw out first pitch on Pride Week.

It almost seems like so long ago...foreshadowed future butchered decisions.

What a god damn miserable season to be a Blue Jays fan.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 04:33 PM   #100
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Jays GM should of added to the roster, it was a clear mistake in my opinion.

Deadline trades were confusing.

Jays lineup in terms of hitting is very average.

Not allot of power,
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote