Old 02-16-2005, 09:39 PM   #141
exfacto
Draft Pick

Nice work with Ken KevinGuy!
Old 02-16-2005, 09:44 PM   #142
Tacoman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I guess I shouldn't have taken a few hours away from the computer. Great stuff. Not surprising from such a classy guy like Ken and from one of the classiest organizations in sports thanks to the example set by our owners.

Ken, I know everyone down at the Dome is hurting right now but our day will come again...and it will be very sweet when it does. Just know that this city will always be behind you. Besides, if things go really south in the U.S., it'll be real nice to be a big market team!
Old 02-16-2005, 09:47 PM   #143
WessThompson
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

guess I missed it all...but damn. I'm not sure he'll ever come back. You guys are relentless with the questions. Just firing away and not giving him time to reply...10 part questions. Ugh. I understand everyone's desire for answers...but wow.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:52 PM   #144
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Who knew that the Hi Ken thing was really true..

The class exhibited by this organization continues too astound me. I am truely proud to have given 5 years of my time working for them, regardless of the crap I've dealt with over that time. Oh man.. now I want to go back..
Old 02-16-2005, 09:58 PM   #145
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Great question from CP'ers and great replies from Ken. This is the reason why I support the owners. Who am I more incline to believe? The NHLPA who obviously seems to be self destructing from the inside with lies and deceit, or upfront honest individuals like Ken King who gives us a full view as to what is happening. Our club is in trouble, I have no doubt about that. There's no way the union can convince me otherwise. Today's decision to stick to the $42.5mil is not only necessary, but vital.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:01 PM   #146
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Wow, that was really amazing....I'm constantly blown away by the class this organization has. Just amazing.

Moments like this make it easier to not feel so down on a day like today.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:16 PM   #147
kn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just another example of why the Flames organization is one of the classiest in the NHL...
Old 02-16-2005, 11:22 PM   #148
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by kn@Feb 17 2005, 12:16 AM
Just another example of why the Flames organization is one of the classiest in the NHL...
The Flames is the classiest organization in the NHL. I belive its mostly because of Ken King and the management group and the whole 10 yards. Everyone in the Flames organization do there part to make it a really fun place to be.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:24 PM   #149
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Dear Mr. King:

Just wanted to say thanks in case you return to read this thread. Your actions today and over your past years' involvement with the Flames has shown the tremendous level of class within the organization.

As a soon to be graduated fourth year university student, I fully intend to become a season ticket holder for the upcoming season (my father held season tickets for over 20 years).

Also, to the operators and posters on Calgarypuck, congratulations on again demonstrating the caliber of discussion contained on this board. Upon my graduation I will forward a donation to the site in gratitude for the information and entertainment that has been provided since my enrollment.

~P^2
Old 02-17-2005, 02:12 AM   #150
lucid
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Wow... this is quite the thread to wake up to this morning!

Many thanks to Mr. King for taking the time to answer the questions from CPers.
Also, a big thank you to KevGuy!
Old 02-17-2005, 09:19 AM   #151
speeds
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think it's absolutely great that Mr.King came to the board to answer questions. A great move by a classy organization.

I can't help but feel a little bit miffed that that some questions weren't answered, if only because one of them was mine , but also because (my opinion; Mr. King might well disagree) that some of the questions not answered were the most relevant. They were the ones that would have been most informative had they been answered.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:23 AM   #152
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by speeds@Feb 17 2005, 09:19 AM
I think it's absolutely great that Mr.King came to the board to answer questions. A great move by a classy organization.

I can't help but feel a little bit miffed that that some questions weren't answered, if only because one of them were mine, but also because (I think, Mr, Kingmight well disagree) that some of the questions not answered were the most relevant; they were the ones that would have been most imformative had they been answered.
He was having a hard time keeping up at first there were 10 questions within 2 or 3 min, and then the pace slowed. I'm sure the unanswered questions weren't on purpose. also He said he came here to guage opinion, not necesarily for a Q&A...
Old 02-17-2005, 09:25 AM   #153
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by speeds@Feb 17 2005, 04:19 PM

I can't help but feel a little bit miffed that that some questions weren't answered, if only because one of them was mine , but also because (my opinion; Mr. King might well disagree) that some of the questions not answered were the most relevant. They were the ones that would have been most informative had they been answered.
I get the distinct impression he might not have answered the more complicated questions because he was typing with the aid of only two fingers.

Cowperson
Old 02-17-2005, 09:30 AM   #154
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wow, looks like I arrived a wee bit late. Classy move by Kenny boy. I've said it in another thread, with Ken King and Darryl Sutter leading this team who have two of the classiest non-bs, straight talkers leading the way. No double speak from this duo.

After King let Button go and hired Sutter as GM, like many of us I had some concerns. On the day it happened I fired off an e-mail to Ken King (a not so nice one) and he responded back within days offering for me to come down to the Saddledome to meet with him. We sat and talked for close to an hour, it was a great experiance. Although I am sure it was one of many meetings for Mr. King throughout the day it was something I won't forget. Meeting with one of the guys in charge of my favourite NHL club, it was great. Thanks again Ken.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:38 AM   #155
speeds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Cowperson@Feb 17 2005, 04:25 PM
I get the distinct impression he might not have answered the more complicated questions because he was typing with the aid of only two fingers.

Cowperson
and don't get me wrong, I definitely appreciate that he came to the board, I think that's an outstanding gesture.

Hopefully he'll have a chance to come back and answered some of the unanswered questions, I would love to see his response to mine because I think it's an important question to have answered in all this CBA talk (and I fully admit I could be wrong on that. And for that matter I'd have loved to see his response to your question regarding Omaha and replacement players/start on time in 05/06, though I guess I can see why he might be forced to avoid answering those 2 too directly.

But maybe I just thought you CPers needed an oilers fan to rain on this love-in of a thread
Old 02-17-2005, 09:40 AM   #156
LLM43
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Mr. King -

a sad sad day indeed, on the other hand there is still hockey in Lowell. How does this mess affect the farm team and the move to Omaha? Or does it have no affect at all?

Please stay in Lowell or at least move down the interstate with Worcester moving. The Flames prospects are performing well here, on and off the ice, and are a valuable asset to this community. They will be sorely missed with a move.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:25 PM   #157
josef
First Line Centre

Exp:

comin to cp (on a day like yesterday) speaks volumes about kk - he´s a real class act, won´t never forget how he made sure i got ticktes for the vancouver-series :tup: :tup:
Old 02-17-2005, 08:19 PM   #158
Natedawg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It's 8:15 pm Calgary time and I just read this thread. I also heard Ken give props to all the CP'ers this morning on the FAN960.

Although there are hundreds of stories where Ken King has made himself available to fans, I wanted to share mine:

Some of you might recall that myself and 3 friends drove all the way to San Jose for game 1 of the west final last year. (the one where Montador scored in OT...that was awesome) After the game, Ken made a point to jog across a four lane road to come and meet us. He said that he had heard we drove all the way down and thanked us for our support. (however, he declined a free beer from our after-game tailgate party)

It's one thing to be an accessible PR man in your own market in Calgary, but it's going well beyond your fans' expectations to continue to extend your graciousness all the way down in California.

My family currently has 2 season tickets and I am currently planning on buying 2 more when it all starts up again. As long as I can afford them, I will always have season tickets to watch this team.

Old 02-17-2005, 11:14 PM   #159
ChipOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hello Mr. King,

I'm pretty sure you know who I am...we've met a couple of times now. I sent you the "playoff rookie" story, and I'm the one who wrote the software to make that photo-collage of 800+ photos of the Flames' playoff run.

Don't have a question, per se...just wanted to volcalize that us fans are hurting bad, something I know you've grave concern for. While I understand the complexities of the situation and realize the implications of a deal gone wrong (again), it is somewhat unnerving to see the people that who are supposed to hold this all together let things fall apart.

I am 100% behind the owners on this; we need the right system in place to sustain hockey in this most incredible of hockey towns.

Perhaps what dissapoints me most is that the league failed to properly paint the picture for the players and that the players refused to see the art. What was a $2B industry operating at a loss will struggle to achieve 75% of that figure and, likely, will have to operate at a loss while the product returns to potential. I don't understand where the players are coming from and I don't understand why the league couldn't make ammends.

Saying it flat out: I'm pretty bummed.

You guys are making the right stand, it just really hurts to have to say it.

Cheers.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:50 PM   #160
rollie619
Backup Goalie

Exp:

mods delete please

Last edited by rollie619; 02-10-2021 at 10:07 PM. Reason: mods delete please
Closed Thread