Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-18-2017, 10:47 AM   #1021
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Anyone have a good craft beer store in Red Deer? Have a birthhday to attend tonight and my friend loves craft beer. (I'm already in red deer)
You could try the Sobey's on the southside, I honestly think that is your best option, or there is one down by Costco in the parking lot as the movie theatre.

Wait, Lucky is a Craft Beer right?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 01:35 PM   #1022
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Anyone have a good craft beer store in Red Deer? Have a birthhday to attend tonight and my friend loves craft beer. (I'm already in red deer)
Troubled Monk Brewery apparently gets good reviews:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...-cup-1.3588566

http://www.troubledmonk.com/
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:28 PM   #1023
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
Can confirm this is true, had a meeting there today for work.

Weitz, if you want to take him for dinner go to Cilantro and Chive in Lacombe.

very large selection of craft beers

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:16 PM   #1024
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
I had no idea about the demand at Treehouse until a friend told me about how crazy it can be. Like many, Julius at the top of my beer bucket list, but getting a hold of it sounds damn tough. In contrast, Im pretty sure just showing up at a brewery like Russian River would guarantee you a chance to at least try or buy Pliny the Elder, but not that case with Julius at Treehouse. Mind you, Im pretty sure Russian River distributes across the western United States now, lowering demand. Pliny also been around a long time now.
It was 14 days old, so I thought I better drink it before it falls off

Last edited by nfotiu; 08-18-2017 at 08:22 PM.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 08:49 PM   #1025
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ ha ha, oh man. Thats awesome.

From your previous post- I actually do have an American address- share a cabin with my siblings in Montana, but not sure I will be back for a while. Just spent a few weeks there, and now on a bit of a detox after drinking at least 3 a day the entire time. The Flathead valley has some decent breweries, but they also get a lot of out of State beers you would never see up in Canada- not to mention very fresh and inexpensive. Founders and Odell recently started distibuting to Montana for example and there were some seasonals from others that I could never hope to get otherwise..

My dogfish head hook up was actually from my sister who lives in New York- had my pops pick me up a couple cases of the 60 and 90 minute when he was out there.

Ive looked into some of these online shipping services, but any idea beer usually holds up over USPS or a curior service? Is it just marked as fragile? A lot of these beer reviewers on youtube are shipped beer all the time, so must be fairly straightforward. If so, that might be a great option.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:04 PM   #1026
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^^^ ha ha, oh man. Thats awesome.

From your previous post- I actually do have an American address- share a cabin with my siblings in Montana, but not sure I will be back for a while. Just spent a few weeks there, and now on a bit of a detox after drinking at least 3 a day the entire time. The Flathead valley has some decent breweries, but they also get a lot of out of State beers you would never see up in Canada- not to mention very fresh and inexpensive. Founders and Odell recently started distibuting to Montana for example and there were some seasonals from others that I could never hope to get otherwise..

My dogfish head hook up was actually from my sister who lives in New York- had my pops pick me up a couple cases of the 60 and 90 minute when he was out there.

Ive looked into some of these online shipping services, but any idea beer usually holds up over USPS or a curior service? Is it just marked as fragile? A lot of these beer reviewers on youtube are shipped beer all the time, so must be fairly straightforward. If so, that might be a great option.
Yeah, it's not really legal, but I've shipped at least 50 trades now without an issue. You have to be subtle about it. Sign up for an online Fedex or UPS account and print your own labels and drop it off at a Fedex or UPS outlet, and it's a lot cheaper and they won't ask questions.

PM me when you're going to be at an American address, and I'll get you a nice box of fresh NE IPAs. Shipping to Montana would probably be at least 4-5 business days from here, so keep that in mind. Give me a few weeks notice, I can make sure I get a Julius (and some better TH :-) ).
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:09 PM   #1027
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

I know there's a poster here who works at Hell's Basement (I can't remember who and am too drunk to search and figure it out) and just wanted to leave a positive review for the Radiant IPA. Tried it tonight and am looking forward to sampling some more drinks from that brewery.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #1028
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The advent calendars from craft beer imports are out for $149, so about $6 a bottle. Anyone else doing it this year? I know a lot of people complain about the price, but there is no doubt they do a good job of bringing in beers you would never be able to get in Calgary otherwise. Would definitely be a little much if it was a bunch of bottles that already sit on the shelf as singles. I was very happy with last year, with the exception of the abundance of imperial stouts. Would be curious to see what other ones are out there though. I also saw a Phillips one, which might be intriguing, but I'm more interested in an international one.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:42 AM   #1029
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing is, they do end up on the shelf as singles afterwards because there are always leftovers in the new year. I tried probably five or six of the ones I thought looked best, they were just selling them $4 a pop at co-op.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:55 PM   #1030
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is no one drinking beer around here?? Thought Id bump the thread to see what everyone else has been drinking.

My local Co op managed to pick up a case of a the well renowned Stone Russsian Imperial Stout. I am generally iffy on Imperial stouts and porters, but this is definitely one beer I enjoy sipping on a winter day- not overwhelming on the alcohol taste at all, despite being almost 11%. I basically handle it like wine or Scotch and drink slow. By comparison, I recently had the Ballast Point Victory at sea and it was just too malty and boozy for me. Any recommendations on a more local Russian Imperial Stout that wont cost a crazy $15/bomber?

I was speaking highly of Collective Arts several months back, and after their series on IPAs, Im fairly confident in saying they are the best IPA brewery in Canada. If you want to sample a typical New England style IPA (unfiltered, less hops and pine, lots of citrus and fruit blends), I would suggest tracking down their IPA#4 before it is gone. Awesome beer and the closest you will get in Canada (from my tastings anyway) to the Trillium and Treehouse beers that have been dominating the craft beer world for a while now. Tokyo Drift from Last Best is certainly a nice local one, but Collective Arts out of Ontario seems to have the right formula.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 02-12-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:37 PM   #1031
Sert
Draft Pick

Blindman has a limited release Imperial Stout out right now- I think they call it Ichorous. Quite tasty, not too boozy considering the ABV, and also reasonably priced. I got mine at Oak and Vine and it was like 5 bucks for a 350 ml can.
Sert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #1032
TomLeeMC
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'm mostly drinking from my keezer these days and currently have on tap:
-Dry Irish Stout
-NE IPA
-West coast IPA
-Dry hopped blonde ale

I was away skiing over the weekend and picked up a few really good bombers/4 packs. I'm really liking anything from Four Winds brewing out of Delta, BC.
Tried Jelly King a dry hopped sour from Bellhops out of Toronto was really tasty.
The Smore Stout from Basecamp brewing out of Oregon was really just a stout but good nonetheless
The Peanut Butter Stout from Belching beaver is by far one of my favs, its like a mouthful of cocoa puffs.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:42 PM   #1033
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
My local Co op managed to pick up a case of a the well renowned Stone Russsian Imperial Stout.
How much was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sert View Post
Blindman has a limited release Imperial Stout out right now- I think they call it Ichorous.
Ichorous is available most of the time. One of my go-to beers.

For my top local porters/ stouts:
Cold Garden All-nighter vanilla cappuccino porter
Last Best- Imperial Stout (if you can find it, and well over that $15 price.)
Zero Issue Nemesis

Non local:
Stone Xocoveza
Pike XXXXX
Alesmith Speedway
Anything from Peche Mortel
Most Clown Shoes
Most Evil Twin
Epic Brewing- Big bad baptist
Deschuttes

Funny- looking at my beer list most of the stouts I like are from the US.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:47 PM   #1034
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

If anyone is in the mood for a saison Freehold Brewing has a delicious offering... one of my favourite new breweries in the city.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:50 PM   #1035
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
How much was it?
$15. Worth it though I'd say.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 01:45 PM   #1036
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sert View Post
Blindman has a limited release Imperial Stout out right now- I think they call it Ichorous. Quite tasty, not too boozy considering the ABV, and also reasonably priced. I got mine at Oak and Vine and it was like 5 bucks for a 350 ml can.
The limited release Ichorous was the Woodford Reserve. This was only released one time this year.

The regular Ichorous is available year round and I almost always have it at The Beer Vault.

Woodford (might have a few of these...)
https://untappd.com/b/blindman-brewi...2128699/photos
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:50 PM   #1037
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Is no one drinking beer around here?? Thought Id bump the thread to see what everyone else has been drinking.

My local Co op managed to pick up a case of a the well renowned Stone Russsian Imperial Stout. I am generally iffy on Imperial stouts and porters, but this is definitely one beer I enjoy sipping on a winter day- not overwhelming on the alcohol taste at all, despite being almost 11%. I basically handle it like wine or Scotch and drink slow. By comparison, I recently had the Ballast Point Victory at sea and it was just too malty and boozy for me. Any recommendations on a more local Russian Imperial Stout that wont cost a crazy $15/bomber?

I was speaking highly of Collective Arts several months back, and after their series on IPAs, Im fairly confident in saying they are the best IPA brewery in Canada. If you want to sample a typical New England style IPA (unfiltered, less hops and pine, lots of citrus and fruit blends), I would suggest tracking down their IPA#4 before it is gone. Awesome beer and the closest you will get in Canada (from my tastings anyway) to the Trillium and Treehouse beers that have been dominating the craft beer world for a while now. Tokyo Drift from Last Best is certainly a nice local one, but Collective Arts out of Ontario seems to have the right formula.
We just ordered in some St. Ambroise Russian Imperial Stout.

You also should try the Blindman New England. Its super hard to get usually. We could only order it about once every 1.5 months. It's probably my favorite of the style.

Should have them by Thursday night.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 02-14-2018 at 01:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #1038
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I should hang out in this thread more but I've been busy as I found work again at the end of last year and am only at the Beer Vault on Sundays now.

The CP discount is still valid at the Beer Vault for 15% off anything!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 02:25 PM   #1039
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

I picked up some of that Blindman New England IPA at the Brentwood Liquor Depot a couple of days ago, it’s absolutely delicious.

I’ll swing by The Beer Vault later this week and grab some more!
Old 02-14-2018, 05:38 PM   #1040
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I find that some Imperial stouts don't seem to incorporate the booze flavor into the malts well. Like there are two distinct flavors and they don't compliment each other. Most belgian tripels have a much better compliment in my opinion.

The wine comparison is definitely there.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beer , conway twitty , drunks , yes conway twitty