Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-17-2017, 04:24 PM   #401
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
While Charging Bull was not a commission, I still think it serves as an example as bang-for-the-buck public art. Del Geist has said that over 90% of the cost of Bowfort Towers went to production+installation, leaving at most 10% as his profit. Why do you think there would be a major cost difference if it were commissioned?
The draw back of commissions generally is they have an upper cost limit, therefore its like calling up builders and asking them if they can do you a bathroom for 50,000, all of them will quote you 49,999 for your new bathroom.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #402
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
While Charging Bull was not a commission, I still think it serves as an example as bang-for-the-buck public art. Del Geist has said that over 90% of the cost of Bowfort Towers went to production+installation, leaving at most 10% as his profit. Why do you think there would be a major cost difference if it were commissioned?
I meant if the Charging Bull was commissioned first instead of built with sculptor's own money and gifted to the City. Going from $500,000 for our blue ring, this was a fair assumption to make!
Old 11-29-2017, 04:17 PM   #403
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

#### me $20,000.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...izes-1.4425418

The Calgary artist behind the public art that used photos of British comedians without permission and prompted an international incident this week has apologized and offered an explanation.

Derek Besant's $20,000 piece, installed along the Fourth Street underpass in downtown Calgary two years ago, involves a series of images of people's faces, blurred out with words overtop of them.

This explanation differs from a 2015 article in Avenue Magazine in which Besant was interviewed about the underpass project.

That article states: "Besant chose the 20 people at random from the pedestrians he met at the underpass."
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:46 PM   #404
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So the artist was lazy and did it in the quickest way to get his 20k.

Hopefully he's offering a refund and payment to take his slackta-art down.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 05:25 PM   #405
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

"In no way did I ever mean to hurt anyone involved, and I am extremely sorry that this is the result of my misunderstanding,"

hahaha, no. That's not an apology. Misunderstanding? What you have done is fraud. You fraudulently misrepresented what it was you were providing, and got busted. Pay back the money.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 05:30 PM   #406
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
#### me $20,000.

The Calgary artist behind the public art that used photos of British comedians without permission and prompted an international incident this week has apologized and offered an explanation.

Derek Besant's $20,000 piece, installed along the Fourth Street underpass in downtown Calgary two years ago, involves a series of images of people's faces, blurred out with words overtop of them.

This explanation differs from a 2015 article in Avenue Magazine in which Besant was interviewed about the underpass project.

That article states: "Besant chose the 20 people at random from the pedestrians he met at the underpass."
I wonder how the enlightened progressives on this board are going to defend the city on this one.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:01 PM   #407
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
I wonder how the enlightened progressives on this board are going to defend the city on this one.
I have to admire how you're obviously drunk and angry but have managed to spell correctly.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:06 PM   #408
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What exactly did the city do wrong here? Do you expect public administration officials to be able to identify obscure British comedians from fuzzy, out-of-focus photos? The artist is clearly in the wrong and should reimburse the city for the cost of the piece (and if not, the city should sue to have the money refunded), but I don't see how any reasonable person could fault the city for this.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:26 PM   #409
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Art was pretty cool. I think it would have been a good permenant installation.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:47 AM   #410
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
#### me $20,000.

reading the article, it seems clear that the artist is a big fat liar and did a pathetic job of explaining why he used the pictures.
especially that he already lied once about the pictures he used.

artist is a dirty cheat and in no way can the city be blamed in any way.
and no excuses about not meaning to hurting anyone. I don't think anyone was hurt, but ticked off he stole their imaged for his artwork. he should have said he's sorry for stealing their images.

why didn't he use 20 random pictures of pedestrians? for $20,000 he could have easily taken a few pictures instead of just taking photos from a program he had.

Last edited by GordonBlue; 11-30-2017 at 07:50 AM.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:53 AM   #411
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t fault the city for the project.
But I won’t be surprised to see them spend 50k in legal fees to go after 20.

Then probably settle for 10.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:24 AM   #412
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
I don’t fault the city for the project.
But I won’t be surprised to see them spend 50k in legal fees to go after 20.

Then probably settle for 10.
What do they sue him for?

Unless his contract stated it would be 20 Calgarians at random or if there is some clawback if the project is removed before X dates, i don't see an avenue here.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:56 AM   #413
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Look, I dont fault the City, but between this the Blue ring and 'rocks on sticks' I think we have to consider adopting a more effective process of vetting the artists we engage.

I know that artists by and large are a troublesome lot, but seriously, we need to do something.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:03 AM   #414
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There have basically in the last two pieces of controversial art been two artists that have been caught in lies about them.

The Rocks on Sticks and the artist claiming to have based it on local Native Lore only to have the local bands state that he was full of poop.

And then this latest one.

so yeah, I think your right Locke, I think that there has to be serious vetting which means that its likely that public art will have to come from Artists with a history so to speak.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:08 AM   #415
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
There have basically in the last two pieces of controversial art been two artists that have been caught in lies about them.

The Rocks on Sticks and the artist claiming to have based it on local Native Lore only to have the local bands state that he was full of poop.

And then this latest one.

so yeah, I think your right Locke, I think that there has to be serious vetting which means that its likely that public art will have to come from Artists with a history so to speak.
I'm not eminently knowledgeable about Native Affairs but when the Native Bands basically backed away and held up their hands and said 'dont drag us into this' I think a lot was said.

We need more of a process for picking artists. Hell, if it were me I'd probably engage a local artist as a consultant to maybe veto or vet potential candidates.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:08 AM   #416
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
What do they sue him for?

Unless his contract stated it would be 20 Calgarians at random or if there is some clawback if the project is removed before X dates, i don't see an avenue here.
On Global last night, one councilor noted they may ask for some of the funds back.

I don't know the terms of the contract but I can see someone making this a personal mission to save Calgarians tax dollars.

you know...for the good of the people...
Old 11-30-2017, 11:09 AM   #417
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Did y'all see this article about Douglas Coupland creating an LED light show embedded into the windows of the Telus Sky building?

There is a video at the bottom of the article: http://calgaryherald.com/entertainme...t-installation

I guess "public" in the sense that it is visible to everyone.

Last edited by gottabekd; 11-30-2017 at 11:15 AM.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:34 AM   #418
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good writer. I had no idea he was also a visual artist.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:43 AM   #419
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are incompetence and fraud by artists participating in this project any more common than incompetence and fraud by contractors in other public projects (or private ones for that matter)? Or just more visible?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:49 AM   #420
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Good writer. I had no idea he was also a visual artist.
He's Vancouver's go to artist, the golden tree down on marine and cambie, the replacement Terry fox plaza statue (hard to make something as ugly as the one it replaces but he gave it a good college try!!), if you need a large piece of fibreglass irony Doug's your man
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote