Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2017, 07:18 AM   #301
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Mayor posted this statement tonight. Which is a lot less hasty than the response in the Charter press conference.

http://calgarymayor.ca/stories/mayor...bowfort-towers
What a load of phoney BS. Realize your comments aren't going over well, backtrack, and throw in some crap about wanting a horse statue in an attempt to relate to the average pleb.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 07:36 AM   #302
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
So in other words, Nenshi took the temperature of the citizenship after making the outrageous and greatly exaggerated "lynch mob" comments and figured he better at least appear to be listening to the people?

He is a politician through and through now, no question about that.
Well, yeah, if by that you mean he's listening to what his constituents want and accepting their direction. That's what politicians should do. Would you have preferred he stuck with his original reaction versus adapting to what Calgarians want? That would be stupid.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 07:39 AM   #303
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
What a load of phoney BS. Realize your comments aren't going over well, backtrack, and throw in some crap about wanting a horse statue in an attempt to relate to the average pleb.
Or realize you were wrong, admit that, and come up with a better way forward. I don't see anything wrong with his statement. I also think the guy on the horse comment could be taken literally, which would be fine, but could also mean he's as tired as the rest of us are with these ugly modern art disasters and just wants some art that looks like an actual thing instead of a rusty mess.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 08:05 AM   #304
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Or realize you were wrong, admit that, and come up with a better way forward. I don't see anything wrong with his statement. I also think the guy on the horse comment could be taken literally, which would be fine, but could also mean he's as tired as the rest of us are with these ugly modern art disasters and just wants some art that looks like an actual thing instead of a rusty mess.
It amazes me how many people still think this guy can do no wrong.

First, in his characteristic holier-than-thou manner, he describes the people criticizing the piece as a 'lynch mob,' despite being part of a similar 'lynch mob' with respect to the blue ring a few years. Then, presumably after consulting with advisers and realizing he was out of line, releases a statement in an attempt to sway to populist support from said 'lynch mob.'

All I want to see from the mayor is consistency in his actions. That is what he promised and that's one of the things that attracted me to working on his campaign in 2009. Unfortunately this is yet another example of him acting inconsistently with the values he purportedly holds. Sadly, he's become just another huckster politician.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:15 AM   #305
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Well, yeah, if by that you mean he's listening to what his constituents want and accepting their direction. That's what politicians should do. Would you have preferred he stuck with his original reaction versus adapting to what Calgarians want? That would be stupid.
The ONLY reason he "changed" his stance on this in a few short hours is because his team started to see the backlash at his asinine comments and with an election only a couple months out, he was forced to look at things a little more pragmatically in regards to his re-election campaign. (he isn't in town IIRC)

I don't believe for a second this had absolutely anything to do with "listening" to his constituents.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:30 AM   #306
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
It amazes me how many people still think this guy can do no wrong.

First, in his characteristic holier-than-thou manner, he describes the people criticizing the piece as a 'lynch mob,' despite being part of a similar 'lynch mob' with respect to the blue ring a few years. Then, presumably after consulting with advisers and realizing he was out of line, releases a statement in an attempt to sway to populist support from said 'lynch mob.'

All I want to see from the mayor is consistency in his actions. That is what he promised and that's one of the things that attracted me to working on his campaign in 2009. Unfortunately this is yet another example of him acting inconsistently with the values he purportedly holds. Sadly, he's become just another huckster politician.
Who said he could do no wrong? His statement wasn't wrong. That's all we're talking about and all I'm talking about.

I wasn't commenting on his opinion of the blue ring from 1402 days ago, nor was I talking about anything he said in his campaign 2780 days ago. Like what are you even talking about? Did you quote me by mistake?

Quote:
The ONLY reason he "changed" his stance on this in a few short hours is because his team started to see the backlash at his asinine comments and with an election only a couple months out, he was forced to look at things a little more pragmatically in regards to his re-election campaign. (he isn't in town IIRC)

I don't believe for a second this had absolutely anything to do with "listening" to his constituents.
lol, well would you be more satisfied if his team "listened" to constituents and he took their advice on the matter? Isn't it ultimately the same thing?

This is so nuts. Here the mayor is doing exactly what people in this thread want him to do, and you have posters whining about that now. So dopey.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:42 AM   #307
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Who said he could do no wrong? His statement wasn't wrong. That's all we're talking about and all I'm talking about.

I wasn't commenting on his opinion of the blue ring from 1402 days ago, nor was I talking about anything he said in his campaign 2780 days ago. Like what are you even talking about? Did you quote me by mistake?

lol, well would you be more satisfied if his team "listened" to constituents and he took their advice on the matter? Isn't it ultimately the same thing?

This is so nuts. Here the mayor is doing exactly what people in this thread want him to do, and you have posters whining about that now. So dopey.

So, him calling those criticizing spending half a million dollars on these "towers" a lynch mob...wasn't wrong? That's just fine and dandy with you?

I will drop this now as there is no more to really talk about.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:46 AM   #308
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ People have been phoning/messaging the artist and making threats. How is that unlike a lynch mob?
puckedoff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 08:57 AM   #309
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
^ People have been phoning/messaging the artist and making threats. How is that unlike a lynch mob?
People have been threatening to kill Del Geist?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:07 AM   #310
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:

??....hadn't heard that before and if so it's unacceptable.

That, however, is not what his purpleness was referring to when he made his statement. He was referring to the reaction of Calgarians towards the art itself and the dislike for it. He went on to defend the process as well as the committee that approved it, thats what he was analogizing the lynch mob to.

Quote:
Nenshi is adamant that the seven-person panel that decided on the artwork and city administration followed the art policy that was in place “to a T,” and that it bothers him they are facing a “sort of public lynch mob.”

“They worked very hard, they looked at different proposals and this is what they felt made sense for that location.”

Last edited by transplant99; 08-11-2017 at 09:11 AM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:10 AM   #311
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

This whole thing is more embarrassing than the peace bridge fiasco. We should just become Houston north. Pro-car, interchanges everywhere connected by super highways. What amazing suburban paradise the average calgarian can have.

We could host weekly CSI conventions, the Calgary Film Fest can screen exclusively Marvel movies and Sled Island can feature a line up of exclusive American Idol winners.

Also, look at this piece of crap...it's just a picture of a woman.....priceless???? what a waste of money.

And this? The pond isn't even in focus.....total junk.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:21 AM   #312
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure what you're saying by showing the Mona Lisa and Water Lilies. These paintings are among the first of their kinds, the beginnings of major movements in art. As such they warrant their place in art history. Del Geist didn't break any rules, boundaries or limitations with his art. He's taking the same tired and old concept and saying "look at this wonderful connection I've created with this particular time and place". That's why it sucks for me. If Da Vinci just painted Lisa's, maybe with a slightly different background, we'd be looking at it much differently.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 09:22 AM   #313
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
This whole thing is more embarrassing than the peace bridge fiasco. We should just become Houston north. Pro-car, interchanges everywhere connected by super highways. What amazing suburban paradise the average calgarian can have.

We could host weekly CSI conventions, the Calgary Film Fest can screen exclusively Marvel movies and Sled Island can feature a line up of exclusive American Idol winners.

You make that sound like a bad thing.

I don't understand your jokes in the 2nd half of your post.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:27 AM   #314
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
You make that sound like a bad thing.

I don't understand your jokes in the 2nd half of your post.

They are soma for the masses. They aren't art, they are pop culture trash masking as art. They are also very popular. Doesn't mean they are good.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:30 AM   #315
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
??....hadn't heard that before and if so it's unacceptable.
I haven't been able to find anything myself.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:43 AM   #316
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Has this been confirmed?

Death threats are usually investigated by police. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but i've not seen anything official to this allegation.

It is a great narrative for the artist to build to dismiss any legitimate criticism of the piece - and there are many legitimate critiques of it.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:46 AM   #317
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
They are soma for the masses. They aren't art, they are pop culture trash masking as art. They are also very popular. Doesn't mean they are good.
OK fair point, but it's not applicable IMO.

Of the hundreds (thousands?) of art installations around the city, two of them are universally hated. Calgarians aren't just consuming mindless pop culture. They appreciate a very wide range of artwork around the city.

Maybe, just MAYBE, Calgarians are smarter than you think and they appreciate good art and can recognize bad art? The blue ring and the Bowfort trash pile are bad art.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 09:49 AM   #318
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Del Geist complained about this piece receiving more "hate mail" than any other he's done. He hasn't, so far as I am aware, stated he's received threats.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 09:50 AM   #319
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Maybe, just MAYBE, Calgarians are smarter than you think
Based on the vapid, self-indulgent nature of his posts, you're going to have a very hard time convincing him of that, I think.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:55 AM   #320
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Del Geist complained about this piece receiving more "hate mail" than any other he's done. He hasn't, so far as I am aware, stated he's received threats.
Would hate to think that people (Nenshi included) are trying to hyperbole or even make up a "lynching" narrative in order to silence and dismiss legitimate and honest criticism.