Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-11-2017, 02:49 PM   #281
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
We are expecting later this year and are very excited. It's been pretty overwhelming trying to get everything we need. Crib, dresser, playpen, diapers, stroller, car seat, and lots more.

Not sure if this is the right thread but what is the difference between a daycare and a day home and what do they typically cost in Calgary? Most of them have decent websites with lots of info but nothing on availability or pricing
Dayhomes aren't regulated nearly as much as daycares. They are also much cheaper.

Up to you which one you would prefer. We used to use KidsU for our kids, but once we calculated how much 2 kids attending that place would cost, we decided to go with a nanny. About the same price, but she does so much more (plus we don't have to drag the kids to daycare/dayhome at 6am anymore). Everyone is much happier with the nanny setup.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:53 PM   #282
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

You typically have to email or visit a daycare to get their pricing. Pricing will also vary by age since there are different staffing ratios that need to be maintained (ie it gets cheaper as your kid gets older).

Dayhomes are also usually operated by one person and have fewer kids. Daycares are larger operations. Pros and cons to both (staff movement at daycare so your kid might be happy with one caregiver and not another; if the day home person is sick or goes on vacation, you have to adjust your schedule, etc). Nanny would be the way I go if we have a second.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:11 PM   #283
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for the above info. I still am not sure about a dayhome vs daycare. Seems like daycares are more regulated and run as a business with more staff, procedures etc. The daycares I've looked up all have websites with lots of info. Dayhomes seem less regulated and are also cheaper. And I never really considered using a nanny.

I would be interested to know if anyone has used both a dayhome and a daycare and which one they prefer (and why)
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:20 PM   #284
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

We just signed up for daycare for February. We didn't go with the dayhome route because we felt daycare is more regulated, and the location worked better for us.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:19 PM   #285
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for the above info. I still am not sure about a dayhome vs daycare. Seems like daycares are more regulated and run as a business with more staff, procedures etc. The daycares I've looked up all have websites with lots of info. Dayhomes seem less regulated and are also cheaper. And I never really considered using a nanny.

I would be interested to know if anyone has used both a dayhome and a daycare and which one they prefer (and why)
We used a day home.

I think interviewing is the key. My one issue with daycare is you have an owner taking money off the top and a low paid staff which may have high turnover (something to ask when interviewing a daycare about). By comparison a day home while not regulated has more stability in terms of the person actually raising your child. Most will have full vulnerable sector checks, first aid, and a variety of other certs.

The other drawback of Day homes is vacation time. Ask what holidays your day home will close for. Also if your day home operator is sick find out what the policy is.

The one we used was great a few blocks from our house and very stable. I would use it again without question.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #286
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

You've pretty much got it. DayCare's are traditional businesses that lease commercial space and typically have several employees. Dayhomes, on the other hand, are generally mother's that are able to care for 2 or 3 children besides their own and do it out of their own home. I don't mean to stereotype, just generalizing.

While daycares are heavily regulated, safe, reputable, etc., they are businesses first and foremost. Our son went to a daycare and it was little more than a babysitting service. He was a profit centre, plain and simple.

The quality of a day home is 100% attributed to the individual running it. Find someone that cares deeply about children and puts in an honest effort and it can be a fantastic experience. Finding a good day home can be a serious chore though, as good ones fill up quickly and bad ones are loosely regulated.

My day home horror story: We interviewed several of them and chose one based upon location and how the home looked inside. After laying down my money for the first month, the lady asked me if I would co-sign for a car loan as she was going through a divorce and her ex took the minivan. Doh.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:22 PM   #287
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I concur with the above comments on day home versus day care. We ended up using a good day home. We visited a couple of times and I called all the other parents. It gets inspected once a year and they post the inspection report. The couple running the place don't have any kids of their own, but obviously, love kids. She's home with the kids and he does IT, but will take the day off to help out if she's sick. In over two years they have closed for one non-holiday day. The only thing I don't like is she provides too many poor quality snacks. When we interviewed she talked about her garden and how she only makes good homemade food. However, she gives the kids chips, sugary cereal, chocolate, cupcakes, etc. every day. So I just make passive aggressive comments about it. Oh well, two weeks left and my little girl is going to playschool instead.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote