Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-14-2017, 07:51 AM   #441
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I've always heard Pizza Bob is a bit of a conspiracy fan.

Now he is driving away customers with his anti-vax and pseudo science on social media:

https://www.facebook.com/PizzaBobsCalgary/
Wow, I've never been there and after reading this page, will never try as they sound crazy.

I don't know why people do this to their business pages. My dogs have for years gone to a kennel that is great, but every so often the owner posts some political thing on the page and I wonder why she does this. Her politics are completely different than my own, so if I was new, I would probably completely write off her business.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 08:25 AM   #442
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary...ensington.html

I wonder what will happen to the Tim Horton's in Safeway now. Do they reconvert it into a starbucks or leave it as a smaller Tim Horton's operation?
Big chain? As opposed to the Starbucks a block away? Second cup? Original Joe's?

I'm actually more surprised another coffee joint is opening. There is another one opening next to the cat cafe on 10th.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:21 AM   #443
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah no biggie from me about Timmie's opening up. I'll never use it but since Maurya is closing I'm glad it won't sit as an empty bay instead. There are a few of those on 10th street right now.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 09:43 AM   #444
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Oh my, a business owner has a different opinion from mine, better boycott their place now.

Don't need to know those hands could've made my delicious pizza!

Bigotry at its finest.

That instant closed mindedness is why people become divided and kill each other in other, less nice places in the world. Have to say I'm not too impressed with CP some days.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:44 AM   #445
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Oh my, a business owner has a different opinion from mine, better boycott their place now.

Bigotry at its finest.

That instant closed mindedness is why people become divided and kill each other in other, less nice places in the world. Have to say I'm not too impressed with CP some days.
Yah I don't think someones views on science or anti-vaxx would affect me buying pizza from them or not.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:39 AM   #446
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well there's got to be a line you'll draw. If Pizza Bob was ranting about white supremacy or advocating for the rape of woman, I'd hope you'd stop supporting the company - even if it has nothing to do with how good the pizza is.

I don't support anti-vaxx idiots, their stupidity and ignorance is a drain on humanity and is harming innocent people. If he's using his company's resources to spread disinformation and potentially harm others, then I can only hope his business goes under to remove the platform he has. At the very least he won't receive a dime of my money to help support his idiotic and dangerous views.

This isn't a case of him not liking the same sports team as me, or having a different taste in music. This is about public health.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 11:07 AM   #447
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Bigotry at its finest.

The thing is its a business page, not their own personal facebook page. I'm not boycotting the place since I've only been once but its not something you should be ranting on a business page.

Last edited by Otto-matic; 08-14-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:44 AM   #448
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I wonder what will happen to the Tim Horton's in Safeway now. Do they reconvert it into a starbucks or leave it as a smaller Tim Horton's operation?
I doubt anything will happen to the Tim Hortons in Safeway. They're too far away to cannibalize each other's store sales.

The one at Safeway targets a different consumer, too: grocery shoppers, c-train/bus commuters, and crackheads who loiter in that plaza out front.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #449
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ffs. It's just pizza.

Unless you truly believe people will go to a Pizza business's facebook page to be informed on vaccinations and how to take care of themselves, then don't be so sensitive towards an opposing opinion, even if on a controversial topic. He's of little consequence to the greater picture and doesn't realistically have enough influence that you should be afraid to feel like by using a business you're also supporting a cause. He'll tell people that stuff whether you do or don't. So do other business owners that you probably go to regularly, they just go about different channels.

Some people don't know the etiquette of how to use social media, or what it's even for. I know this because I help business people who don't. And I know friends that use their facebook like an online journal, but at the end of the day there's no rulebook telling them what they can or can't do with it. You can't control how people decide to use those online tools and it's amusing when people think that ceasing to give their business is going to silence opposing thoughts or like it's protecting others from an opinion that's dangerous, as you so put it. But that doesn't make that true either, it's just your (albeit firm) opinion. You can't control what other people think and wish to promote though. So instead of trying to silence them (when you can't), maybe challenge them on it vocally if you feel so strongly opposed to what they're doing? I mean, wouldn't that be more effective? Maybe you'd make them reconsider how they're going about it that way or even how they feel about it.

It's up to you, but if you're putting a wall between yourself and people for these reasons then you're still being a bigot. The same as someone who won't hire someone based on their religion/views because they don't like/agree with it, or won't go to their business. It doesn't matter how you justify it, you're still doing it because you're acting out of fear or hatred over the fact that they think or believe different things to you, rather than actively challenging them on it. I guess it's just the easier route to shut those people out entirely and make your bubble contain one less person that thinks differently from you. This is just all that crap Clinton and Obama were going on about.

I mean hey.. if they're 'uneducated', as you so put it, maybe do the people one better, and help educate them?

From what I've witnessed the onsite staff are pretty grounded and polite individuals and they've never tried to tell me anything or put any pamphlets into my hand in the many years I've been ordering from there. Nope, they're just serving up good pizzas and making a living. So getting me and all my friends and family not going into the place that pays their bills I'm sure will show them too, right?

Ah, whatever.

Last edited by djsFlames; 08-14-2017 at 12:45 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:18 PM   #450
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ffs. It's just pizza.
No it's not. It's my hard-earned money. And I'm choosing not to support some idiotic ignorant asshat with it.

You're playing pretty loose with the definition of bigotry, but by your definition, you disagreeing with my opinion not to support someone, you're also being a bigot.

Again djsFlames, there's a line. We can both agree that you wouldn't shop at an electronic store that was actively promoting the burning of Muslims on their social media accounts right? At least I would strongly hope so, and I doubt you'd be calling yourself a bigot for doing so. My line is just different than yours, this person is advocating a made up belief that puts some of the most vulnerable people at risk of diseases that they'd otherwise be all but clear from. I will not support that, deal with it.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:19 PM   #451
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm not a Pizza Bob patron as I find the price to get full on it is too high. but there is absolutely no shortage of great pizza in town. assuming you had equal tasting pizzas at similar price points, why go with the guy who's clearly out to lunch on his opinions/facts?

maybe if Pizza Bob was the hands down best pie in Calgary, we could talk about whether it would be worth boycotting. you could have a sliding scale...how good would the pizza have to be to buy it from a literal nazi? I don't know if there's one in town I'd do it for, but a place like Posto might come uncomfortably close.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:44 PM   #452
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah same here. My 'boycott' is of the principle variety, as I may have been there three times and really had no thought to go back, so it's clearly not going to be hurting without me. And I get that. But next time someone brings it up as a suggestion, I'll try to have them steer clear.

I'm a big proponent of voting with your wallet, if someone is advocating for something I'm clearly against I tend to try to limit my dealings with that company (which ironically is sometimes due to bigotry, like Chick-fil-A) and I've never had someone insinuate I was a bigot for doing so ha.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:58 PM   #453
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have no idea what the pizza tastes like, as I've never been there. All I know about the place is that someone posts a bunch of anti-vaccination stuff on their Facebook page. With my limited pizza-buying dollars, I will go elsewhere.

I do wonder about businesses who choose to post controversial (and usually unrelated) things of their FB pages. Why would you choose to alienate a bunch of potential customers?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:10 PM   #454
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

djs, I would add that anyone can vote with his or her wallet, and also engage in discussion. Those are not mutually exclusive. However, employing reason and facts to an ant-vaxxer debate is sadly counter-productive in many cases.

In this case, it really isn't a difference of opinion. This is misinformation that has and will cause serious health issues.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:12 PM   #455
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Me personally will let slide things like anti-vaxx or whatever things as I don't see it as a huge deal (I know it is more than I think), but I will draw the line at things like Chick-fil-A and such where there is active hate. Then I will vote with my dollars.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:02 PM   #456
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

The owner is free to use his business page as he wishes, but it does show a lack of judgment on his part. Just stick to pizzas - I don't need a side order of pseudoscience.

The problem for him is that this won't make people like me passionate enough to stop by, order a pizza, and engage in debate. It just puts a little footnote in my brain the next time that business pops up on Yelp, and I'll just scroll past it. "Boycott" makes it sound like I care about his business somehow. Instead it is a great big "meh - I'll try somewhere down the street."
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:59 PM   #457
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I already miss Maurya, how am I supposed to get my Indian food fix at lunch?
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #458
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

The HSBC on Kensington Road has modified it's interior to portion off the west half and put it up for lease (retail). Hopefully whatever goes in there pushes for some improvements to the exterior and connectivity to the sidewalk.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #459
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
The HSBC on Kensington Road has modified it's interior to portion off the west half and put it up for lease (retail). Hopefully whatever goes in there pushes for some improvements to the exterior and connectivity to the sidewalk.

What a waste of a prime block that building is. The streetscape on Kensington consisted of a few offices and the staff break room. How did that ever get approved?
edslunch is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2017, 05:20 PM   #460
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
What a waste of a prime block that building is. The streetscape on Kensington consisted of a few offices and the staff break room. How did that ever get approved?
I'm trying to remember what was there previously, wasn't it just a vacant lot forever?
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote