Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #241
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Get a skewer like the one posted above. Locally you should be able to find it for about $20. Even if you had a newer style trainer, its worth changing the skewer when using it on the trainer so that you don't chew up the good one.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #242
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone know of when the big sales happen to clear old inventory?

hoping to find a previous year 29er, lucked out last year with a great Scott Scaler, sold at end though.

Won't be in town until May but looking to get a plan made early
Old 03-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #243
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
Does anyone know of when the big sales happen to clear old inventory?

hoping to find a previous year 29er, lucked out last year with a great Scott Scaler, sold at end though.

Won't be in town until May but looking to get a plan made early
March 31- april 2 is bowcycles blue light special.

Do you know what bike you're looking for?

Last edited by bossy22; 03-24-2012 at 06:36 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #244
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was out looking at new road bikes today for my Conquer Cancer ride this June. Hit up Lifesport, Ridleys, Road, and Eurosport. Got pretty solid service at all 4...ran out of time to hit up Bow Cycle, but they have the big sale next week. Seemed like they all had deals on trying to get rid of 2010/2011 models.

Eurosport + Lifesport are getting all their bikes in next weekend. Ridleys has quite a few 2012's and Road had next to nothing in my price range ($1500-$2000). Ridleys also has a good deal for the RTCC riders so that is a big incentive to buy there!!

Got a great vibe from Eurosport for the Opus bikes. Anyone on here ever ridden one or have any comments on them?? I've done a bit of digging since we got back and they seem to have a pretty good reputation with very solid, well built, and well priced bikes.

Same goes for Eurosport?? Never really seen/heard of them before, but seemed like a good shop. I'm a novice road rider so being able to rely on the bike shop is going to be a big benefit to me.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #245
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had an opus vivace for a couple of years. Now I have a cervelo. A friend whose an Olympic cross country skier had one as well. His description of them was perfect. A Honda accord. It was a good bike, with great components for the price, but when you get on a truly high end road bike, you Really feel the difference. It was like going from an accord to a Ferrari. It rode nice but didn't have that snappy feel when you start to hammer.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #246
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bikes that we looked at were Trek Lexa SLX ($1300, alum with 105), Opus Scherzo (expensive, full carbon with Tiagra, $1900) + Triton ($1600, alum with 105), and Giant TCX ($1600, alum SRAM). Didnt ride any today, but looking to get on one next week.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #247
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
I had an opus vivace for a couple of years. Now I have a cervelo. A friend whose an Olympic cross country skier had one as well. His description of them was perfect. A Honda accord. It was a good bike, with great components for the price, but when you get on a truly high end road bike, you Really feel the difference. It was like going from an accord to a Ferrari. It rode nice but didn't have that snappy feel when you start to hammer.
I'm just getting into road biking so not sure I want to blow mad cash yet on a high end bike. I'd be very ok with a bike in the $1500 +/- range...if wifey and I get out lots this summer and I get into it then I can look into the $3K+ bikes.

The Ride for Cancer is my first real big ride, so I want a decent + comfortable bike. I also want to get a bike that is going to make me like the sport instead of hating it...so all options are open right now!!
Old 03-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #248
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
I'm just getting into road biking so not sure I want to blow mad cash yet on a high end bike. I'd be very ok with a bike in the $1500 +/- range...if wifey and I get out lots this summer and I get into it then I can look into the $3K+ bikes.

The Ride for Cancer is my first real big ride, so I want a decent + comfortable bike. I also want to get a bike that is going to make me like the sport instead of hating it...so all options are open right now!!
They are good bikes. I bought my opus as my second real road bike. The opus served me well. It had plenty of km on it and it held up great. No issues whatsoever.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:29 AM   #249
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:

What size are you looking at?
Old 03-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #250
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
What size are you looking at?
I'm 5'11 so depending on the bike it's likely a L or a 54/55. Heard that its easier to make a smaller bike work / fit better than it is to try and make a bike thats too big fit properly.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #251
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well I bought my first ever road bike from Ridleys yesterday:

2011 Trek Ion Pro... compared it with a Giant and the Trek 2.1 and just felt like it road the best out of all them.

Awesome salesman named Travis really helped me out and must have spent at least a couple of hours with me... what really impressed me with him is that he had spent at least 30-45 minutes with me when I was just in window shopping mode.

But after buying shoes and pedals and a bike pump, I was pretty much out of money and couldn't really afford to spend another $100 - $200 on bike shorts and a good backpack. I thought I'd inquire here to see if there's any good online stores for bike shorts/bags/accessories.... anyone have any suggestions, online or otherwise?

Man I can't wait to get out and ride this thing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #252
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
I'm 5'11 so depending on the bike it's likely a L or a 54/55. Heard that its easier to make a smaller bike work / fit better than it is to try and make a bike thats too big fit properly.
If you're feeling experimental, you could order one of these in a 55.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #253
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
But after buying shoes and pedals and a bike pump, I was pretty much out of money and couldn't really afford to spend another $100 - $200 on bike shorts and a good backpack. I thought I'd inquire here to see if there's any good online stores for bike shorts/bags/accessories.... anyone have any suggestions, online or otherwise?
Congrats on your bike. I love my Treks.

You definitely want to get some bike shorts but still be ready for some pain until your butt gets used to the seat.

If you're really low on funds, check out Sports Chek and they should have some pretty basic shorts to get you started. You will eventually want to get a better pair for longer rides though.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #254
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
If you're feeling experimental, you could order one of these in a 55.
Now that is in the right price range!! $1500 delivered to my door...hard to beat that for a full carbon/105 bike...get it pro fit here. Time to have a look at the bike + reviews!

Edit: bike cant be shipped to Canada, may need to get it shipped to a buddy if I like what I see.

Last edited by FLAMESRULE; 03-25-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #255
Josh
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Went for my first ride of the season, I'm pretty sure I bit off too much as I puked on the first hill. Hopefully it's nice here tomorrow so I can ride to work. Sucks being out of shape...
Old 03-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #256
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone heard of and/or bought from http://www.bikejerseywholesale.com/

Their prices are super cheap, but when they are that low, it leads me to believe they are a knockoff site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 03-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #257
Josh
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Looks like knockoff site to me, they couldn't even fill out their contact info correctly on their store template.

http://www.bikejerseywholesale.com/contact_us.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Josh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #258
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone care to help me choose a bike? This will be my first bike since I was around 13 and rode BMX.

I started looking thinking $500 would be my budget, but after looking around at quite a few shops yesterday I think I may have to increase my budget a little.

Going around to quite a few shops yesterday, I believe I narrowed my selection down to 3 or 4, but am still open to suggestions.

http://shop.tandl.com/bike/specialized-roll-1-2012/ ($710)
http://road.cc/content/review/38800-kona-paddy-wagon ($750)
http://www.linusbike.com/models/gaston-1/ ($600)
http://www.linusbike.com/models/gaston-3/ ($750)
(don't pay attention to any of the colours on the sites linked)

Essentially I want something I can ride to and from work (all downtown). Along the pathways around town, etc.
Nothing too crazy at this time. Maybe if I like commuting, I will continue during the winter if I can.

Last edited by Temporary_User; 03-25-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #259
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Has anyone heard of and/or bought from http://www.bikejerseywholesale.com/

Their prices are super cheap, but when they are that low, it leads me to believe they are a knockoff site.

Knockoff site. They keep posting on our club forum. They can't even type english.
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #260
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
March 31- april 2 is bowcycles blue light special.

Do you know what bike you're looking for?
thanks, i would love to see those sales in person rather than just seeing a list.

29er, hard tail is def interesting, but they don't have a big selection.

I'd like to ride fishcreek on weekend, and then tighten up the front fork and ride to work in the week. under $1000, Kona, Trek, Scott are always companies of interest
Closed Thread