Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #241
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYE_Overstand View Post
Having been all over the world (as I'm sure a lot other posters here have as well) i would like to add (I'm sure it has been DEF posted well earlier in this topic thread) that our airport is trash. The brown color/ material siding (i have no idea what it is... I'm canada's worst handy man) is trash.... makes it look out dated... and the restaurants and other facilities are so poor. When arriving into the current international terminal and seeing this stupid signs with out dated photos of downtown with headlines stating (your only 20 minutes away) etc etc.... Vancouvers airport alone SH*Ts on ours. Beijings Sh*ts on ours. Singapores sh*ts on ours..... Torontos at least looks and has a better feel than ours... the list goes on

i compare our airport to Seattles trash airport. Out Dated.

This expansion is a good start. Also having the LRT going straight there is much better as well.
I've been all over the world as well, and I'm glad we're not spending $$ on making the airport a showpiece. I'd much rather keep the fees as low as possible and use that to attract service from more airlines to more destinations.

Also, did I somehow miss the announcement that the LRT is going straight to the airport now? I'd love a link, as that's a cause dear to my heart. (My first CP argument was about that, in fact)
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #242
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I the only one who thinks a CTrain to the airport is sort of overrated? I just don't see the utilization being as high as people seem to think.

I know if I'm getting off a plane and going downtown, I'm getting in a cab, I'm not dragging my luggage onto the Subway. Maybe that's just me.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2012, 09:27 AM   #243
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Am I the only one who thinks a CTrain to the airport is sort of overrated? I just don't see the utilization being as high as people seem to think.

I know if I'm getting off a plane and going downtown, I'm getting in a cab, I'm not dragging my luggage onto the Subway. Maybe that's just me.
Honestly the people that would make most use of it is the employers.

The line main purpose though would be a connector from the NC line to the NE line. So it'll serve multiple functions.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #244
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, I go to LOTS of airports too, and yyc is decent. Every piece of $100000 art is paid for by the AIF's you pay, so you get to decide if it is worth the extra cost to you.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #245
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely no funding in place to put the LRT to the airport yet, best thing to do is keep using the BRT service to the airport to judge demand. I think of it as a sexy project, looks really cool but I'd be amazed if it even comes close to covering its costs over the long term.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #246
EYE_Overstand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
The CAA has had to work with what the federal government gave them when they privatized the airports, and then deal with burgeoning growth while trying to find ways to pay for it. Did you expect them to destroy the whole thing and build new? Where the heck would that amount of money come from?

You realize that Toronto may have a very nice new T1, but been through T3 lately? That thing was built in the 90's and is just as outdated as parts of our terminal now. Plus Toronto now has the distinction of being one of the most expensive airports in THE WORLD for airlines to utilize because of the costs of the T1 project. Plus in my opinion T1 is really crappy in food/shopping options for a terminal of that size.

Beijing and Singapore I would expect to have very nice, big airports. Just how many more millions of people do they serve than YYC? Been through Heathrow, Frankfurt, some not-so-nice parts to them too. Airports are almost alive, they have history, they expand and grow over time and some parts will be more dated than others. Not every facility can afford to build a brand new terminal to replace the entire old one (like Beijing).

I'm happy the CAA has spent time and money improving the facility they inherited, but at the same time not blowing it all and instead focusing on attracting more carriers and destinations to YYC. The new IFP is a step in the right direction but it is also overkill for our current and even short term capacity needs.

Just off the top of my head, some of the improvements the CAA has made to the existing terminal:

-Pier D expansion (WestJet)
-Pier A expansion/renovation (Air Canada)
-Spaceport (for the kiddies)
-Food court (way better than what was there prior)
-Banff Avenue seating area, big glass windows facing towards downtown
-New international arrivals area
-New transborder bag sorting facility (airside)
-New parkade

Not too mention the upgrades and improvements on the airfield proper, things like new taxiways, larger ramp spaces, airfield lighting, approach and landing aids, new snow removal equipment, de-icing fluid retention ponds and recycling facilities.
Yes i understand and i have to travel in and out of calgary 1/3 of the year and have first hand noticed the differences since the Renos. I will make the Case that you can compare our roads, the saddledome, mcmahon stadium and the airport. all have been under loved and slow into actually making significant change for the better.
EYE_Overstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #247
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Definitely no funding in place to put the LRT to the airport yet, best thing to do is keep using the BRT service to the airport to judge demand. I think of it as a sexy project, looks really cool but I'd be amazed if it even comes close to covering its costs over the long term.
Is that the standard we use for LRT extensions? Transit is subsidized in this city, why wouldn't the airport, which is a huge demand generator, be equally deserving of a subsidy? From the corner of 36th and McKnight it's not any further across the south of the Silverwing golf course and up McCall Way to the terminal than it was to go up to Saddletown, and they got a new station. I suspect the airport would generate many more trips than Saddletowne, as it has many employees, and rail bias applies to foreign travellers especially.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #248
EYE_Overstand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
with everything i have stated.... i do believe in being conservative and fiscally balanced to expand the airport. i do agree that it is a sexy project. most important for me is that flights are on time, and that my bags come out relatively fast.

But for the sexy part, i'd like calgary airport to be on the forefront of showcasing our city.

and for city council and such, i really don't pay attention. i run/ manage money/equities for a firm so what happens in the States is where my attention goes to. i am just that guy who shows up to the airport in the allied town car and see a whole lot of construction happening all over there.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #249
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
with everything i have stated.... i do believe in being conservative and fiscally balanced to expand the airport. i do agree that it is a sexy project. most important for me is that flights are on time, and that my bags come out relatively fast.

But for the sexy part, i'd like calgary airport to be on the forefront of showcasing our city.

and for city council and such, i really don't pay attention. i run/ manage money/equities for a firm so what happens in the States is where my attention goes to. i am just that guy who shows up to the airport in the allied town car and see a whole lot of construction happening all over there.
Would you be willing to trade some of our flights for a better aesthetic? Because the higher fees for airlines would probably drive some of the more marginal flights away (Newark, Tokyo, etc)

Also, the construction sucks while they're doing it, but it's purpose is to improve things. It's not reasonable to complain it's old and dumpy, and then also complain about the construction when some of it is getting improved/replaced.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #250
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I do think they should REALLY update the pictures of downtown though...
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #251
EYE_Overstand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Would you be willing to trade some of our flights for a better aesthetic? Because the higher fees for airlines would probably drive some of the more marginal flights away (Newark, Tokyo, etc)

Also, the construction sucks while they're doing it, but it's purpose is to improve things. It's not reasonable to complain it's old and dumpy, and then also complain about the construction when some of it is getting improved/replaced.
all i said was that i "see a whole lot of construction".... I'm not complaining at all. with expansion... comes construction.... which comes delays in traffic etc etc.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #252
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I do think they should REALLY update the pictures of downtown though...
I'd gladly let them use some of my images free of charge. But they'd have to give me a ramp tour a couple times a year as a form of payment.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #253
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

Sorry, just had to get that out of my system.

Short-term future nothing changes on the international front (not including transborder to the USA), the only wildcard I have is Korean possibly serving us (and I'm giving that like a 10% chance).

However I do have it on good authority that a Mexican carrier (InterJet) will most likely be starting service to YYC (and tagging YEG along with the flight).
Do you work at the airport?
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #254
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
Do you work at the airport?
Nope, but I stay pretty connected with whats going on at it.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #255
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Having been all over the world (as I'm sure a lot other posters here have as well) i would like to add (I'm sure it has been DEF posted well earlier in this topic thread) that our airport is trash. The brown color/ material siding (i have no idea what it is... I'm canada's worst handy man) is trash.... makes it look out dated... and the restaurants and other facilities are so poor. When arriving into the current international terminal and seeing this stupid signs with out dated photos of downtown with headlines stating (your only 20 minutes away) etc etc.... Vancouvers airport alone SH*Ts on ours. Beijings Sh*ts on ours. Singapores sh*ts on ours..... Torontos at least looks and has a better feel than ours... the list goes on

This expansion is a good start. Also having the LRT going straight there is much better as well.
Does it really matter what the airport looks like? Sorry but for the amount of time that the average person is in the thing I don't think that it is that big of a deal. Also Calgary isn't Vancouver, Beijing, Singapore... actually as a city it is more like Seattle than any of the other cities that you listed.

Truth be told Calgary doesn't have the population or the location to be a major international hub like the cities that you mentioned.

As for the airport - I personally don't see a major benefit, it would be nice but it is so far down the priority list as for what transit in the city needs, let alone the entire city budget. It would cost hundreds of millions of dollars and I just don't think it would be utilized enough to make it economically viable. Plus at the same time it would upset the taxi drivers an insane amount and the airport would require a cut of the profits as well (as they currently do from the taxi drivers)
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #256
EYE_Overstand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Does it really matter what the airport looks like? Sorry but for the amount of time that the average person is in the thing I don't think that it is that big of a deal. Also Calgary isn't Vancouver, Beijing, Singapore... actually as a city it is more like Seattle than any of the other cities that you listed.

Truth be told Calgary doesn't have the population or the location to be a major international hub like the cities that you mentioned.

As for the airport - I personally don't see a major benefit, it would be nice but it is so far down the priority list as for what transit in the city needs, let alone the entire city budget. It would cost hundreds of millions of dollars and I just don't think it would be utilized enough to make it economically viable. Plus at the same time it would upset the taxi drivers an insane amount and the airport would require a cut of the profits as well (as they currently do from the taxi drivers)
i did say i directly compare our airport to Seattle. as for the cab drivers... it is the way business works. cab drivers in towns like Miami Vancouver New York who have public trains directly from the airport have had to deal with it. Just like when the government here raised taxes on Oil and Gas royalties (obviously reversed).... at the time we in the business just have to deal with it and find ways to make profits and revenue expand in other ways... Just like when starbucks moves into a neighbourhood like inglewood. the mom and pops just have to deal with it.

on a side note, what is edmonton's airport like anyways?
Old 09-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #257
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ctrain to the airport is 20 years down the road, but you need to plan these things many years in advance, if not you get Crowchild trail, Glenmore trail, Deerfoot interchange at Glenmore etc etc etc.

This city has a such a long list of short sightedness that its good to have at least one thing that they dont have to worry about, even if its 20-40 years from now. And this is one of the few things that you couldnt do no matter the amount of money you throw at it 20-40 years from now because it travels under privately held land.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mykalberta For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #258
EYE_Overstand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
i did say i directly compare our airport to Seattle. as for the cab drivers... it is the way business works. cab drivers in towns like Miami Vancouver New York who have public trains directly from the airport have had to deal with it. Just like when the government here raised taxes on Oil and Gas royalties (obviously reversed).... at the time we in the business just have to deal with it and find ways to make profits and revenue expand in other ways... Just like when starbucks moves into a neighbourhood like inglewood. the mom and pops just have to deal with it.

on a side note, what is edmonton's airport like anyways?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post

im a season ticket holder of the flames and i have no issue with the on ice views and my game watching experience... but when i go to the sardine can, better known as the saddledome concourse (which i spend minimill time in anyways) i hate it and wish it was nicer. anyways. as my tax dollars go to the suburb expansions and overpasses i NEVER USE (i live downtown for the past 4 years... and in those 4 years i have jumped up tax brackets significantly) .... i'd like to see some better infrastructure around the airport and in the airport itself.

everyone is different. some people go to the airport 2 times a year. one time for their flight somewhere, and the second time when they arrive back. so for those people its completely fair to assume and understand that they really don't care.

but as stated before... i am in and out of this city 4 months a year. 3 years in a row now. so i see believe some changes should be made.

and i FULLY UNDERSTAND the demographics and geography of the city.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #259
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post

When I can roll my bag the 500m to one of the two west leg train stops near me and in ~30 mins end up at the airport I'm all for it. I also bet a number of travellers to the city, especially the European ones who are used to metro travel from their airports will use it. Using our Ctrain will be a snap compared to say Paris where you're on the RER and then have to transfer to a regular line. Metro travel to and from most airports I've been to in Europe or Asia seems quite high.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #260
EYE_Overstand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
Ctrain to the airport is 20 years down the road, but you need to plan these things many years in advance, if not you get Crowchild trail, Glenmore trail, Deerfoot interchange at Glenmore etc etc etc.

This city has a such a long list of short sightedness that its good to have at least one thing that they dont have to worry about, even if its 20-40 years from now. And this is one of the few things that you couldnt do no matter the amount of money you throw at it 20-40 years from now because it travels under privately held land.
i Agree fully. we need to plan for the future.

Look at the headache this city has gone through to build roads to TRY and keep up to the cities growing car population. If we dealt with this in the 90's who knows where we would be. I feel sorry for anyone in this city who has to take city transit all day everyday back in the 90s and 2000's. bus on bus on train on switch on train on bus on bus etc etc. even the students who went to MT royal... just NOW they have a train station coming close to them (i think haha)

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc