Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2017, 05:46 PM   #1
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Serving papers

step sister was involved in a car accident , retained a lawyer recently and she said they have to serve the at fault party. I've always wondered what happens if they can't track down said person ?
Old 05-24-2017, 05:52 PM   #2
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well they basically always do, but basically if they make the attempt and legitimately can't find them, it's documented and they get served. I can't recall the technical way it works, but you can't just hide out and avoid getting served sort of thing.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:59 PM   #3
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

What if the person lives at a different address then what's on the insurance info? (Could be their parents home on that info) and they live somewhere else. Must be hard to track these people
Old 05-24-2017, 06:36 PM   #4
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you just have to send it by registered mail to the last known address. It takes a bit longer but the court will accept that...as long as you've tried other avenues as with a process server. They can also leave it with someone who knows the person. Or they can even tape it to the door if they know the person is there and just not answering. This is my experience in BC so I'm not sure if it applies to AB. I think a classified ad works too...I've seen a few of those "Attn: Some guy you are being sued" ads back when we used to have newspapers.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:42 PM   #5
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

They also track people down in public places. I know a guy who did this for a living and he was telling me about some of how they do it. For example finding a guy at a mall, and they know its him, they basically just call his name, he turns and gets served. Or all kinds of different ways they go about it.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 07:35 PM   #6
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
They also track people down in public places. I know a guy who did this for a living and he was telling me about some of how they do it. For example finding a guy at a mall, and they know its him, they basically just call his name, he turns and gets served. Or all kinds of different ways they go about it.
I figured this was another avenue. I guess that's the reason they are the pros. How they find people out and about is beyond me.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:43 PM   #7
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGilmore View Post
I guess that's the reason they are the pros. How they find people out and about is beyond me.
You've just gotta know the right people...
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 07:46 PM   #8
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

In cases where the person can not be found you can obtain substitutional service (mailing to the last known address for example) or even have service waived. You have to show you made efforts to find the person. Its pretty routine. A demographic search is a start.

Its not hard to achieve service. If its a motor vehicle accident the insurer will respond and pay. If its a private dispute, you can sue and get an empty judgment but which will haunt the defendant if you track them down.

A friend of mine obtained on behalf of the securities commission a near million dollar judgment years ago. The guy skipped town to Florida. He returned last year thinking he was forgotten. He brought with him a $100K Class A motorhome and bought a house. Judgment paid.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:56 PM   #9
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 05-24-2017, 08:01 PM   #10
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Old 05-25-2017, 08:21 AM   #11
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post

Its not hard to achieve service. If its a motor vehicle accident the insurer will respond and pay. If its a private dispute, you can sue and get an empty judgment but which will haunt the defendant if you track them down.

A
So you bascially just need the insuranc to be aware? I thought serving was a must since you are suing the driver even tho insurance pays and defends the driver
Old 05-25-2017, 08:27 AM   #12
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
So you bascially just need the insuranc to be aware? I thought serving was a must since you are suing the driver even tho insurance pays and defends the driver
No you still have to serve the driver, but if it substitutionally, its still service. And you'll have the accident report form which will tell you who the insurer is, so then you contact them to let them know you have service.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2017, 09:12 AM   #13
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

if I recall correctly, it was Alberta that first allowed service via Facebook.

If the process servers cannot find the person, but can find their Facebook account, they can send the documents via Facebook, and I suppose if seen, then service is considered served.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:20 AM   #14
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
if I recall correctly, it was Alberta that first allowed service via Facebook.

If the process servers cannot find the person, but can find their Facebook account, they can send the documents via Facebook, and I suppose if seen, then service is considered served.
Interesting! Ca anyone else touch on this? Would be very cool if true
Old 05-25-2017, 09:40 AM   #15
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Here's from the Law Times about service via Facebook http://www.lawtimesnews.com/20140120...swire_20140120

Quote:
To succeed in any such motion, counsel must establish that the person’s whereabouts for personal service are unknown despite diligent investigation; the Facebook profile belongs to the person in question; and the person is an active user of Facebook such that the claim will likely come to the person’s attention.

While the case law has focused on service through Facebook, the courts could also consider substituted service through other popular social networking web sites like LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:47 AM   #16
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's tough to serve over Facebook, or email.

Basically, try all avenues available to you and document them.

Try the house on the insurance, if he/she isn't there ask if they live there, if they know the person, if they know where they live etc.

If they are related, you could get substitutional service on the house (i.e. if it's their parents)

Google the person, try to figure out where they work or worked. Inquire at those places.

If you have their drivers license info / date of birth, you can do a skip trace etc.

If all else fails, you can apply to the court to have deemed service by some method (usually posting in the Gazette for a few days) etc.

If you hired a lawyer, why are they making you do it???
Cappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:55 AM   #17
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
It's tough to serve over Facebook, or email.

If you hired a lawyer, why are they making you do it???
So the Facebook route doesn't work? Even If it's active and pretty known it's them?

It's not my Case. I was jut asking out of curiosity, trying to have a better understanding about all this so when I'm talking with Sis about it I'm not out of the loop. Figured CP was the best place to ask. Lots of good replies so far, love This forum. Google is confusing when you've got no idea how stuff works.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #18
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So the Facebook route doesn't work? Even If it's active and pretty known it's them?

It's not my Case. I was jut asking out of curiosity, trying to have a better understanding about all this so when I'm talking with Sis about it I'm not out of the loop. Figured CP was the best place to ask. Lots of good replies so far, love This forum. Google is confusing when you've got no idea how stuff works.
You can serve over FB, but you need to get a court order that would allow you to. The court will want to know that you have basically done everything possible to serve the person and that it hasn't worked before granting that option.
Cappy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2017, 01:01 PM   #19
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
You can serve over FB, but you need to get a court order that would allow you to. The court will want to know that you have basically done everything possible to serve the person and that it hasn't worked before granting that option.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up. Sounds like from what I read the people who serve are pretty good at tracking people even without address or work info
Old 05-25-2017, 01:04 PM   #20
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
You've just gotta know the right people...
Its funny that you mention this because I do have a couple of clients who do this. Its....interesting....work.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote