Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Quality of ice conditions at the dome (rant number three - Ken King please read)

After watching the opening two games at the dome it appears that somebody is not doing their job. Rob Kerr and Simmer commented on it, and the spectators have also. It's unbelievable to think that a place like Calgary likely has the worst ice conditions in the NHL. The last two games featured cricket style bats at the puck and possibly a record number of icings and errant pucks.

This is an insult to Feaster who has tried to draft and ice skilled players, to the coaching (Bob betcha didn't count on stretch passes working on a sheet of gravel), and the fans who are forced to bear witness to the most broken type of hockey seen in a long time.

My guess is that two junior Suncor engineers could be hired and the situation would be addressed. Maybe it's an equipment issue, a money issue, or something else. Regardless I would assume that ownership has the wherewithal and understanding of this very basic and fundamental need to make things right.

Indycar drivers to not achieve record times on gravel, nor do tennis players have their best matches. Nor do curling players show their best talent and skill on sub-par sheets of ice. While the argument always exists that the opposition skates on the same ice it still does nothing for the spectator nor the confidence of the home team. This run and gun style of Hartley and the stretch passing is simply going to waste. I actually see the flames are getting used to the ice (re the puck in glove-to-stick scoring play of Tanguay). But it's not the kind of thing you want to practice.

Fix it. Please. Now!!! It's a sheet of freaking ice!!!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I totally agree with you. The ice in the Saddledome has been awful for years. It can make a difference in the outcome of a game.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poor Feaster, he must feel so insulted. And Bob... its really killing our run and gun game.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

The ice used to be good back in the days. What happened?

Probably won't be addressed until the new arena.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

You would imagine the players would bring this up. Anyone who's played hockey knows how frustrating it is to play on ####ty ice
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

STH...

I have been commenting for a couple years that the ice has been really bad and pucks have been bouncing far too much.

This year they implemented rule changes, shortening the intermission entertainment from 5 minutes to 4 minutes, and they also extended the length of the intermission from 17 minutes to 18 minutes. Both of these changes were implemented in order to give ice crews more time to prepare the ice, as well allowing more time for the ice to freeze after the flooding.

I was VERY pleased to hear about these changes as I thought it was just what the doctor ordered for the shabby Saddledome ice.

However, based on what I have seen from the first two games, not only is there no improvement but it appears to be even worse! Maybe even substantially so. I don't think it's an exageration to call it a disgrace.

External environment certainly isn't an excuse. And nor is a lack of finances, based on ticket prices.

Enough is enough, KK and Co - get it fixed. Now.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't we used to have the best ice (or 2nd best) in the league?

Did someone get fired?
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
Poor Feaster, he must feel so insulted. And Bob... its really killing our run and gun game.
So you're happy with the quality of play at the SCOTIABANK saddledome? Congratulations. I'm not
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The ice was embarrassing last night. I've played on better ice at the outdoor rink in Springbank.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #10
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't help but wonder why the flames are not adjusting to the bad ice, the seemingly have most of thier practices there.

Should we not expect them to,adapt?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #11
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

The ice doesn't seem to be great but both teams have to play on it so no excuse. Didn't stop the Sharks or Ducks. Didn't stop that wicked Brodie feed to Stempniak.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pepper24 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #12
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I always thought the Flames had some of the best ice in the league. I remember reading that a few years back. What happened?
Iceman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #13
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Could be many factors. For one, the building has 3 tenants, two of which practice there most of the time and play all their home games there. The Roughtnecks use the building for about half of the season, and their flooring might have a negative impact on the ice conditions over time. More events and concerts at the 'Dome may also play a factor, as it is the only primary location to have an event with an attendance over 5,000 people
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #14
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I can't help but wonder why the flames are not adjusting to the bad ice, the seemingly have most of thier practices there.

Should we not expect them to,adapt?
Just a theory, but maybe it has to do with much less heat (from bodies) needing to be removed from the building during practice? Perhaps they can keep the air temp cooler, especially at ice level, during practice but the AC just can't keep up with 18000 bodies?
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:28 AM   #15
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
The ice doesn't seem to be great but both teams have to play on it so no excuse. Didn't stop the Sharks or Ducks. Didn't stop that wicked Brodie feed to Stempniak.
It's still fairly good ice, just not NHL level ice is supposed to be at especially in a cold climate like Calgary. I'd expect that ice to be that bad in Anaheim, not Calgary.

Sure 2 teams play on the same ice but when the Flames are already filled with players who are terrible passers, adding the bad ice dimension puts us at an even further disadvantage.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:41 AM   #16
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you really want a response from KK why dont you email him?
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2013, 02:55 AM   #17
Stampede2TheCup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Just a theory, but maybe it has to do with much less heat (from bodies) needing to be removed from the building during practice? Perhaps they can keep the air temp cooler, especially at ice level, during practice but the AC just can't keep up with 18000 bodies?
I used to play hockey with a guy who was involved with taking care of the ice and he said the biggest struggle has to do with the heat and humidity the fans bring in a short time. I know they use a computer program that reads sensors from in the building including under the ice to try to react and optimize things every game. The outside temperature is pretty a non-factor in helping or hurting the ice besides the very warm cities (ie: it doesn't really help being in a cold city). I'm not sure why it's seemingly gotten worse in recent years but I'd guess it's likely the aging infrastructure. Hopefully they're working through some early season glitches and we'll see improved ice the rest of the year.
Stampede2TheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:14 AM   #18
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I remember a time when it was quite cold watching a game in a jersey. I would bet they've made it warmer to be more comfortable for fans... I'd rather be cold and have good ice if that's the case.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #19
badger89
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I remember a time when it was quite cold watching a game in a jersey. I would bet they've made it warmer to be more comfortable for fans... I'd rather be cold and have good ice if that's the case.
It's way warmer in the dome than it used to be. I'd bet that this is the main problem.
badger89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #20
clancy
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanks for posting this Calumniate.
The saddledome ice is bad, and has been for years. While both teams play on it, it does make for a slower, less entertaining game. The Flames are flush with cash and should do something about this.
Why does Edmonton have great ice, in an older building that is booked more often for non-hockey events?
clancy is offline   Reply With Quote