Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #101
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanda View Post
It is but ive gotten about 10 years out of my Gen 2 Litter Robot with zero maintenance. Cleaning litter is the worst part of being a cat owner.
It's right up there with getting your feet attacked in the middle of the night that's for sure....
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:30 PM   #102
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Orijen cat & kitten. It's dry. You can see the details here, if you're curious: https://www.orijen.ca/foods/cat-food...od/cat-kitten/

It's literally the only thing I've ever fed my cat (other than a bit of their 6 fish blend one week when I was away). It was originally suggested to me by a friend, whose female Ragdoll I looked after for about a month a few years back. Everyone from breeder to vet have approved it as a good call, but as you can tell from this thread there seems to be no consensus on what to feed cats.
It looks impressive, and the website has sufficiently duped me for now. I'll maybe try this first. You said it runs about 70 dollars per bag? How long does a bag last?
Old 05-23-2017, 03:35 PM   #103
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess it depends on the cat, but for a kitten, a few months I'd say. EDIT: quick math says a 12 lb bag is about 5400 grams, and a 4.5 lb cat gets 35 grams a day, which would be 155 days. But then, most kittens basically get free-fed (that is, you feed them as much as they want to eat while they're growing).
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 05-23-2017 at 03:37 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 04:29 PM   #104
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to portion out the food my cats eat. Both of them would gorge themselves otherwise. It can be annoying they get very anxious around meal time.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:57 PM   #105
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
So much misinformation in that post regarding food sold at clinics. Here's a response from my wife who's a vet:

To your last point: Doing a google search and coming up with a bs article is not "research". Surprising, talking to an animal doctor with 10 years of school is a better option than what you find on the internet in 5 minutes.
I have done a ton research in regards to food, upon further reflection there are better articles I seen in the past that i should have linked (but didn't have time) as this is not a particular good article and pretty sensational. So my intentions were good, just a rather poor choice of article to link. Sorry if this offended your wife.

In simple terms, cats in a natural state (wild) are pretty much pure carnivores so I am challenged to understand how any cheaper fillers (such as grains) or poor quality meats (such as animal by products) are healthy to an animal the has evolved almost solely as a carnivore.

Personal, we feed our cats north american based canned with no grain added. We got our cats not to long after the 2007 pet food recalls where there was melamine contaminated ingredients originally sourced from China which resulted in a number of pet deaths. So I am reluctant to feed them with any foods with uncertain origins.

Last edited by cupofjoe; 05-23-2017 at 05:01 PM.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:05 PM   #106
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofjoe View Post
I have done a ton research in regards to food, upon further reflection there are better articles I seen in the past that i should have linked (but didn't have time) as this is not a particular good article and pretty sensational. So my intentions were good, just a rather poor choice of article to link. Sorry if this offended your wife.
Trust me, she's not in the least offended. Just bothered that people such as yourself think that a bunch of crap articles on the Internet is better information than talking to your vet. If anything, she's worried about the misinformation out there regarding cat food and what owners are feeding their cats.

To your point about cats in the wild: just because they survived on all protein diets for thousands of years doesn't mean it's a good diet. Too much protein is actually really bad for cats.

Last edited by username; 05-23-2017 at 05:08 PM.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:13 PM   #107
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Trust me, she's not in the least offended. Just bothered that people such as yourself think that a bunch of crap articles on the Internet is better information than talking to your vet. If anything, she's worried about the misinformation out there regarding cat food and what owners are feeding their cats.

To your point about cats in the wild: just because they survived on all protein diets for thousands of years doesn't mean it's a good diet. Too much protein is actually really bad for cats.
What is your (or your wife's) recommendation on food choice for a cat?
Old 05-23-2017, 05:21 PM   #108
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
What is your (or your wife's) recommendation on food choice for a cat?
He asks like it matters...the feline demon will feast on your soul while you sleep.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:39 PM   #109
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

My experience is with dogs, but a couple general points.

Definitely check the age if you take the kitten early. I'm not sure what the age recommendations are for kittens, but with puppies, bad breeders will sell them as soon as they are eating on their own and they miss out on important socialization skills from the mom. Those puppies tend to be fearful and have behavioural issues throughout their lives.

Regarding pet insurance... If something happened to your cat, could you handle a surprise vet bill? If you are able to save money and could cover it from other resources if something happened in the first few months, the better option is likely to have a savings account and put money into that each month. Then you are making the decisions, not an insurance company.

If something happened and you would need to set up a gofundme, then insurance is probably a good idea. You can go with lower monthly payments if you only need it for something major, or higher monthly payments and more coverage if any little thing will be tough to handle. I don't have insurance, but I've heard good things about Trupanion from a number of people.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 08:16 PM   #110
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I find your replys interesting in this thread, don't believe the Internet, only trust the professional vet with 10 years training yet even when directly asked, you didn't answer fuzz questions regarding similar ingredients food from Superstore and vets office, nor what your vet wife recommends as good brand etc.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:19 PM   #111
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My wife says that royal canin or science diet. You can get these brands at most pet stores - likely cheaper than what you pay at a vet store.

She says there are millions of dollars in research and evidence based medicine to support their claims.

If you have more questions she recommends you bring your new kitty in to see a vet and see what he/she has to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by username; 05-24-2017 at 08:52 AM.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to username For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 08:35 PM   #112
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone mentioned the kitty tray? (thing that goes over the toilet). My sister has it for her two cats in a small apartment. Works great and litter free.

Edit: think it's called the litter quitter, but there may be others. Best to start early of that's the way you wanna go

I'm shocked it actually works!

Last edited by calumniate; 05-23-2017 at 08:42 PM.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:41 PM   #113
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This site is one probably one of the fairest evaluations of both sides of the arguments. An interesting read for those interested.

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2012/07/wha...out-nutrition/
Old 05-23-2017, 09:50 PM   #114
Jake
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm sure you have received a million tips, but here are a couple more... cats at a healthy weight tend to live longer, cost less in vet bills, and have a higher quality of life.

1) Buy a weigh scale for food. Using measuring cups is not reliable.
2) Invest in a good pet food from a reputable company like Purina, Science Diet or Royal Canin - I like to feed adult cats either dental diets or weight management diets.
3) Keep track of your cats weight.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jake For This Useful Post: