Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2017, 09:06 AM   #41
Csquared
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
Admission is only $1.50 until 1:50 on Tuesday. If we went for rush seating would it be an actual seat or standing room only? There's 3 of usif that makes a difference

Is the rush seating the seats in the infield?
Rush seating will be a goingshow on Tuesday as seniors get free rush seats and will start lining up early. Very low chance of getting seats.
Csquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:30 AM   #42
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You only get to ride the wobbly h ride if you have Wiz Khalifa tickets.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 09:30 AM   #43
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Had a great time at Cowboys on Saturday, seemed like half the city was there.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:56 AM   #44
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
Admission is only $1.50 until 1:50 on Tuesday. If we went for rush seating would it be an actual seat or standing room only? There's 3 of usif that makes a difference

Is the rush seating the seats in the infield?
Rush seating is in the main grandstand, at each of the far ends and (IIRC) on the lower level which makes it tough to get a good view.

Gear grinder, the one and only day I can go Stampeding is Tuesday (doing the rodeo too) and naturally the weather forecast sucks. Then right back to the awesome weather

My kid's are working in the GrandStand again this year and it has been absolutely dead in the restaurants. By far the quietest in the years they have been working there. We were thinking with Canada 150 and the low $Cdn it could be a pretty good year but so far that has not been the case at all. Hopefully it picks up over the remainder of the week. I haven't seen overall attendance numbers this year so not sure if this is part of a larger trend or localized to their particular restaurant.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:06 AM   #45
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got Lazy S tickets for the chucks tonight. Never been to Lazy S so looking forward to that.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 05:36 PM   #46
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone know how much the rush seats are for the chuckwagon races? I can't seem to find the info anywhere.
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:39 PM   #47
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

$17 for standing, $33 for a rush seat I believe.
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jroc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 05:41 PM   #48
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
You only get to ride the wobbly h ride if you have Wiz Khalifa tickets.
How bout Superdogs tickets?
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:16 PM   #49
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

another horse dies?? how many have to die.. how many animals have to be needlessly tied up,.. Roped up..for our entertainment before this GARBAGE is banned.. what year are we in..

ive seen videos of the cowboys jamming horses with metal rods to piss them off.. make them really buck.. Sickens me.. Should sicken everyone one..
IrishSpring2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IrishSpring2013 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 06:26 PM   #50
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a heads up that tomorrow is $1.50 to get in until 1:50pm.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #51
krazycanuck
Won the Worst Son Ever Award

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSpring2013 View Post
another horse dies?? how many have to die.. how many animals have to be needlessly tied up,.. Roped up..for our entertainment before this GARBAGE is banned.. what year are we in..

ive seen videos of the cowboys jamming horses with metal rods to piss them off.. make them really buck.. Sickens me.. Should sicken everyone one..
The horse died of a broken leg. The same thing happens on racetracks all the time and no one bats an eye. Hell, the same thing happens when horses run in a field and step in a gopher hole.

Likely, if the horse wasn't used as a chuckwagon horse it would have long been sent to slaughter and be eaten by a family in Japan.

I've seen videos of a-hole chicken farmers abusing animals. doesn't mean everyone who raises chickens is a dink.
krazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to krazycanuck For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 06:41 PM   #52
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:

Horses die every day running...whether it be on a track or in the wild.

Sucks that it happens but horses legs are fragile units and last nights accident was something that happens commonly in thoroughbreds and had nothing to do with the chucks.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3587298/ho...ckwagon-races/

Last edited by transplant99; 07-10-2017 at 06:43 PM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:44 PM   #53
Schraderbrau
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Schraderbrau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Schraderbrau For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 06:46 PM   #54
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There are other sides to this. I'm extremely protective of animals. Insanely so. But I've also been around race horses and stampede horses. Running around a track isn't inherently dangerous for horses. Mis-steps happen. Thoroughbreds love to run. The ones you see at the stampede literally crave the action, the competition and the race. They love it. I've seen fields full of thoroughbreds that don't love it. They can run but they don't want to so they don't. They live out their days eating grass and doing other stuff at the ranches.

Similarly bucking horses at the stampede are a few among thousands. No one is poking them with prods. They're worth upwards of 250k each and love kicking the crap out of people. They're bred for it, are trained for it and love doing it. Again, the stampede ranch is full of other horses that don't.

Steer ropers, wrestlers can pound sand. But these horses have very rich lives. You want to turn all these horses into fox meat? Ban rodeo events.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 06:54 PM   #55
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
No one is poking them with prods.
what do yuo think of this video?

apologies.. if this should be somewhere else, or different thread.. thought it was okay.. but maybe could take away from fun stampede talk! i love the stampede.. and used to love the rodeo.. but have mixed feelings lately..

and i also dont think "horses die elsewhere, so its ok they die here too" is a good excuse.
IrishSpring2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:15 PM   #56
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

As for the prod in the chutes..thats actually a measure to get the horse in the arena and way from kicking anything solid as much as it is a way to get the horses bucking.

Its a very minor current in those things that will have the horse straighten out as it exits the chute and before it starts to buck so it wont clip the steel around the chutes.

Years ago they used whips but it was determined this is more humane. Some horses don't require the prodding as they tend to take a couple steps before they jump. Other are notorious to want to jump inside the chute. I have a somewhat distant cousin who was paralyzed while getting on a saddle bronc that started bucking in the chute, fell backwards and broke my cousins back.

Not saying its right nor wrong, just an explanation of what it is that actually occurs. Those chutes are dangerous dangerous places for humans and the animals themselves if they dont know how to behave in them.

Quote:
and i also dont think "horses die elsewhere, so its ok they die here too" is a good excuse.
No one said its ok that horses die...anywhere.

Its just what happens with those animals. Horses get put down running wild far more than in rodeos. One step into a gopher hole and they are usually done. As was said above, last nights accident is fairly common for thoroughbreds. Especially their hind legs it seems to me, they just take a bad stride and the leg fractures. Most of those fractures are unable to be mended properly so the animal in euthanized.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:22 PM   #57
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
apologies.. if this should be somewhere else, or different thread.. thought it was okay.. but maybe could take away from fun stampede talk! i love the stampede.. and used to love the rodeo.. but have mixed feelings lately..

The guy poking the horses isn't doing it to piss them off. It gets them started in the right direction so they don't get hung up in the chute. Oddly enough the Stampede rebuilt the chutes in 2013 to address the issue without the poke. It's really not a big deal and causes no damage and no stress.

The Stampede does send horses to slaughter of course. But they also retire hundreds and rescue hundreds from the race circuit. The Stampede is a second chance for so many horses. I owned a race horse that was in a barn fire and had the skin on its back burned. He could never take a rider again but he could pull a wagon really well. All kinds of problem horses wind up on the wagon circuit. Again, without that, literally none of these horses would be around for long.

They video images of a horse stalling in the chute is so meaningless. If they really don't want to buck, they are not going to be at the Stampede. Horses pause for any number of reasons but that doesn't mean they are being tortured into bucking. I've seen these guys on the ranch and they get so excited when it's their turn to buck. The walk from the barn to the ring is scary because they're so ready to go. They do love it. I've seen it. So in that sense the video really missed the mark.

Again, ropers and wrestlers can get bent. Real cowboys don't even like those guys.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:27 PM   #58
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I doubt you'll find allot of support in a thread about enjoying the Stampede. I think most who have grown up with any level of proximity to rodeo understand the respect and value afforded to these animals. Almost all of the livestock you see at the stampede would enjoy a much much better quality of life that would be typical.

I think the general question about the ethics of raising animals is best separated from the question of rodeos. I fall pretty firmly against the moral vegan philosophy, but respect the opinions of those who disagree and understand that I probably wont change their minds.

As for the prod, please understand the Calgary Stampede is truly one of the three big rodeos in the world and has the highest level of scrutiny and ethics applied to it. I just don't know if that prod was hot, but I am certain it is a safety device, both the prod and the push to the head are meant to insure the shoot in cleared quickly for the safety of the horse and the athlete, and team on the ground. In the past there have been incidents of horses and bulls starting to buck in the shoot injuring animals and cowboys alike. It's one of the improvements made overtime to improve safety for everyone, just as football and hockey are becoming safer as we know how to protect and treat head injuries better.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:28 PM   #59
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I suppose it's how you view death. Is the death of an animal somehow worse if it is involved in entertainment? Is it worse than death for products? Or food? Or out in the wild ("naturally")? Does the life it leads up to that point factor in?

Personally I think rodeo animals are incredibly well taken care of and well loved. I don't think many of us can meet the level of lovel and respect that ranchers and farmers have for their animals and I think they take the death of their horse a lot tougher than any of us bystanders.

I don't find it as even remotely close to the worst thing we should be worried about.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:40 PM   #60
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

I ended up buying us the tickets online. But I have one more question, will there be parking down at the grounds? Or should I park at a Ctrain station and take that down?

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote