Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2024, 08:09 AM   #661
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The kids are getting a lot of one-on-one time with the development staff as a backdrop to the ongoing playoffs. They're learning the pro game.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 09:28 AM   #662
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
I hope Cull has to answer to someone ab out who he inserts into the lineup . I'm hoping we see regardless of the win youth inserted into the lineup wherever possible.

Yeah they took allot of penalties but get the puck out . Wolf being in God mode for 46 shots is just dangerous and stupid .

I want Brzustewicz in for the first D man out with injury and see what this guy has at the next level. He's pretty Incredible from what I hear and I hope Conny gets him in there.
Lol. They won. Be happy.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 10:23 AM   #663
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know the AHL is minor-league.... but the fact the Wrangler's have NO highlights for this game on their Youtube channel, and the fact that Tucson's are terrible is very sad.
Old 04-25-2024, 11:08 AM   #664
MrSector9
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
I know the AHL is minor-league.... but the fact the Wrangler's have NO highlights for this game on their Youtube channel, and the fact that Tucson's are terrible is very sad.
The social media team (and marketing) behind the Wranglers is terrible, they always skip adding things to social media platforms (normally for end of game), barely announce 3 stars....honestly I would offer to do it for free just to provide other fans relevant information and try to get more people interested.

With it being a "new" team they should be pumping stuff out in full force to get people interested in the team, the personalities and going out to games....build some rivalries aside from the stupid "Battle of Alberta" when we play a team from California.

For the game itself, I don't care who they play as long as they win.... only in Calgary would fans complain about the lineups when we win 2-0 in a playoff series.
MrSector9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrSector9 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 03:02 PM   #665
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
No Grushnikov in game #1. Is he hurt? Or Cull doesnt have him in the top 7?
Cull seemed to go with the guys he had for the majority of the year. I don't agree with it but maybe he is going to rotate guys in and out. Not using Hunter is pretty kind boggling though.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 03:05 PM   #666
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Lol. They won. Be happy.
Only because their goalie was unreal. You can't rely on that every game. You have a roster with a lot of filler and some very skilled talent available to you, use it. Unless Wolf plays out of his mind if Cull keeps that lineup I won't be surprised if they lose the next two.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 03:20 PM   #667
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Only because their goalie was unreal. You can't rely on that every game. You have a roster with a lot of filler and some very skilled talent available to you, use it. Unless Wolf plays out of his mind if Cull keeps that lineup I won't be surprised if they lose the next two.
Wolf masked a mediocre group last year and this year. The team isn't good. Wolf is.

Injecting new kids who have never played on the team before, into playoffs is risky. I don't blame him. I wouldn't do it either. His job now is to win. Development is for regular season.
Old 04-25-2024, 03:29 PM   #668
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The AHL is a developmental league and playoff hockey can and should be a huge learning experience for these kids. I can understand not wanting to put in a Honzek or Brzu who were last minute additions with zero pro experience, but sitting guys like Kerins and Grushinkov in favor of guys on AHL only deals is a decision that should rightfully be criticized.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 03:32 PM   #669
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on photos I saw from morning skate, they're carrying two goalies, 8 defenders and 13 forwards. It seems like the group from most of the season, plus Honzek.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 04:10 PM   #670
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
The AHL is a developmental league and playoff hockey can and should be a huge learning experience for these kids. I can understand not wanting to put in a Honzek or Brzu who were last minute additions with zero pro experience, but sitting guys like Kerins and Grushinkov in favor of guys on AHL only deals is a decision that should rightfully be criticized.
Those guys could be banged up, playing more games and minutes in the AHL this year than they have before (if ever).

I trust the coach is icing the best team to win each night.

Weirdly criticising the coach because your shiny new toy wasn't on the ice last night is silly.

I bet if you asked any of the young kids if they deserved to be dressed, they would tell you the same thing most guys would, we want to play but we want the team to win regardless.

That's called being a good team player and waiting on your chance.

Last edited by Wastedyouth; 04-25-2024 at 04:12 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 11:52 AM   #671
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Those guys could be banged up, playing more games and minutes in the AHL this year than they have before (if ever).

I trust the coach is icing the best team to win each night.

Weirdly criticising the coach because your shiny new toy wasn't on the ice last night is silly.

I bet if you asked any of the young kids if they deserved to be dressed, they would tell you the same thing most guys would, we want to play but we want the team to win regardless.

That's called being a good team player and waiting on your chance.
I don't think it's weird, nor silly to have an invested interest in the development of this organizations young talent.

I am not making this out to be the end of the world or anything... It's ok to question certain things, and have individual preferences. I am sure even Cull and Conroy have varying opinions at times on who should be in the lineup.

Also I would certainly hope those young kids hold that perspective and approach it that way as well. I never said otherwise.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 12:10 PM   #672
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
I don't think it's weird, nor silly to have an invested interest in the development of this organizations young talent.

I am not making this out to be the end of the world or anything... It's ok to question certain things, and have individual preferences. I am sure even Cull and Conroy have varying opinions at times on who should be in the lineup.

Also I would certainly hope those young kids hold that perspective and approach it that way as well. I never said otherwise.
I quoted you, but that was a mistake, it was meant and directed at the royal "you".
Old 04-26-2024, 01:53 PM   #673
DuckSauce
Draft Pick

I see two sides of the coin. I can appreciate that the AHL is a business of itself and everyone there is working their butt off to make it to the next level. If they all of the sudden get replaced with some kid from junior at the end of the season it would be a gut punch and maybe not the most professional way of coaching a team. But at the end of the day the point of a farm system is to develop players that will move on to be impactful for the big club.

I see a lot of comments about being "good exposure to the pro game" "soaking in being around pros". Honest question - is that really that impactful? Is their dedication and professional approach to the game of hockey not a major factor in what has separated them from their peers at this point or do they really learn a lot from seeing how Mitch McLain prepares for a playoff game/handles down time in an away city/treats his body? If its about getting familiar with the staff, practices and operations of the franchise great but I don't see that moving the needle.

Extreme example but did Colorado wait to allow Makar time to soak up the pro experience as a black ace or did they throw him into the deep end to sink or swim in the playoffs? Having said that I get that Brz is not Cale Makar but this is also not the NHL. There is either a level talent ready and available that would help the team or some of these guys are much further away from making the jump to the NHL than a lot of us would hope. This could be the hard truth.

Would you rather see 5 Wrangler playoff games with a vet heavy line up or 3 games with young guys who can take the on ice experience of game pace and physical strength of opponents into the off season and have that in mind as they train for next year?

Again, I see both sides. I am not saying give all these young guys top 6/4 and special teams BUT that is what I am interested in as a fan.

Last edited by DuckSauce; 04-26-2024 at 01:56 PM.
DuckSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 01:55 PM   #674
AndyM
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Cull seemed to go with the guys he had for the majority of the year. I don't agree with it but maybe he is going to rotate guys in and out. Not using Hunter is pretty kind boggling though.
960 mentioned Hunter isn't there. He's with the skill development coaches in Calgary. Same with Lipinski, Morin, and Jurmo.
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AndyM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 03:12 PM   #675
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wranglers reduced their numbers slightly. Lipinski and Silye released from their ATOs.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 03:25 PM   #676
DuckSauce
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Wranglers reduced their numbers slightly. Lipinski and Silye released from their ATOs.
Is that surprising? Do they have to be under a contract number? That makes me think they see him going back to the Giants next year.

Someone commented on how bad the Giants team was this year. If Lipinski and Honzek are back next year could they take a step and build a more competitive team? Always makes me wish the Flames could have more input on what the Hitmen do and bring them to Calgary.
DuckSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 05:30 PM   #677
AndyM
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckSauce View Post
Someone commented on how bad the Giants team was this year. If Lipinski and Honzek are back next year could they take a step and build a more competitive team? Always makes me wish the Flames could have more input on what the Hitmen do and bring them to Calgary.
Giants had a rough start to the season. But after the calendar flipped to 2024, I believe they only lost once in regulation at Langley Centre. And they did make the playoffs. Maybe that had more to do with a great regular season from Mirwald in goal.
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 07:39 PM   #678
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
960 mentioned Hunter isn't there. He's with the skill development coaches in Calgary. Same with Lipinski, Morin, and Jurmo.
Thanks, didn't know that.
Old 04-26-2024, 08:12 PM   #679
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Underway in game 2!
Old 04-26-2024, 08:50 PM   #680
Charcot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

1-1 after the first. PP goals first by Tucson’s Guenther followed shortly by one by Morton. It’s been an uptempo game. I’d say a slight advantage in play for Tucson.

Tags
bakersfield is no good , edmonton is no good