Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2024, 01:21 PM   #3941
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
4 for Enterprise just started to gain momentum, after the showrunner change, and then they pulled the plug, making it the only Trek without seven seasons. I'm convinced it was out of spite, because the old showrunner was still the producer.

It would be interesting to cobble together a 21 episode 'perfect' Voyager. There was a lot of good in there, but it was overpowered by the meh, and the ending of the series was so bad. I don't think that there was a solid continuous run.
No, it was the Network. Not Berman or Braga. The changes going into Season 4 were in an effort to save the show as I think it was almost cancelled before Season 4. I think the WB/UPN merger into the CW also played a role behind the scenes. As ENT didn't really fit into the mold of a CW show.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 02:45 PM   #3942
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
4 for Enterprise just started to gain momentum, after the showrunner change, and then they pulled the plug, making it the only Trek without seven seasons. I'm convinced it was out of spite, because the old showrunner was still the producer.

It would be interesting to cobble together a 21 episode 'perfect' Voyager. There was a lot of good in there, but it was overpowered by the meh, and the ending of the series was so bad. I don't think that there was a solid continuous run.

I still loved the mirror universe 2 party episode in Enterprise. they could have ended the series after that instead of having Fat Riker backing bread and crying about ethical choices in the holodeck as the final episode.

Voyager had some good episodes, the time one where Red Foreman flew through the galaxy kicking ass and erasing slackers was probably the best example.

With Discovery, I'm stuck, I don't really want to watch a Tilly Michael specific episode, and its like this big hideous gate keeper yelling "You shalt not pass without watching me" ugh.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 03:00 PM   #3943
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

CaptainCrunch, taking one for the team.
Old 05-13-2024, 07:54 PM   #3944
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The weird thing about voyager was that I think I liked the throwaway episodes better than the main storyline.

The episode where the doctor becomes a singing sensation on a planet that didn't have music, only to eventually watch all of the music on the planet to crumble into anarchy under the weight of the talentless masses, is endlessly more amusing than an angsty moving the ship forward episode.

In the end, what I wanted to see was an absolute wreck of a ship getting home, and they did the opposite and made them supermen.
Old 05-14-2024, 12:57 AM   #3945
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You bring up a really solid point, and I really notice it in Trek.

There was a part of you that knew that the Enterprise, or Voyager or DS9 was never in jeopardy.

I mean with Voyager, the only time you ever saw damage carried over from one episode to the next was the year in hell episode where Red Foreman kicked Janeway's ass while screaming at her to get a job.

But like with Generations, they probably couldn't dynamically wreck the sets or damage them due to budgets and research. Sure you'd get some sparkly explosions, and people would be tossed out of their chairs, and the lights would flicker. But you knew by the start of the next episode the ship would be in perfect shape.

At least with Discovery when damage happens on the bridge they have the heavy metal concert flame casters going in the background.

Even at the start of Voyager, when they rationed power, and they had problems with the replicators, what was the cost. Umm they had to give up holodeck hours, that's it.

They never starved, or had to forgo full meals. You know what would have been unique, knock out the replicators, they have a long way to go to the next planet that could have food or water, so they have to break out emergency ration packs.

Here's your cornbeef and hash Janeway, oh there's no water to shower with. They never missed a shower, their ship was pristine, Tuvok gained like 10 pounds, and Voyager arrives at earth as super voyager.

Mean while in Battlestar Galactica, the BattleStar showed up at earth with its spine broken, which was one of the coolest effects that I think I've ever seen. You knew it was the last jump that ship would ever do.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 05-14-2024 at 01:01 AM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote