Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-08-2017, 07:06 AM   #21
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

How much does the actor keep from each photo? What's the percentage?

Also a lot of these people I have never heard of. I wonder if sometimes there is an actor just waiting for people to take pics with him. That would be sad.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:59 AM   #22
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Also a lot of these people I have never heard of. I wonder if sometimes there is an actor just waiting for people to take pics with him. That would be sad.
Not an actor but... http://lonelyvirgil.net/
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 10:59 AM   #23
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just former WWE "star"... I mean superstar Virgil has to sit and wait
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 11:10 AM   #24
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
IIRC Garrett Wang just showed up one year at the Calgary Expo (2012?), year of The Next Generation reunion. He set up his own table signing autographs. Eventually the organizers recognized this and made him part of the expo officially, that year and many years since, but what a sad little start.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:10 AM   #25
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
https://store.epicphotoops.com/calga...#jeremy-renner

$130, guess that answers my question!
What a tremendous waste of money. I guess it keeps the line in check though.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #26
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
How much does the actor keep from each photo? What's the percentage?

Saw this with Nigel Dawes at Chinook once.

Just sat there with no line and the occasional person coming up to him.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:46 AM   #27
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Saw this with Nigel Dawes at Chinook once.

Just sat there with no line and the occasional person coming up to him.
Scorpion?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 12:34 PM   #28
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never been to one of these. Is there a significant board game component? Mostly I'm wondering if there would be people selling board game tables. I've found one guy who apparently makes them custom here in town but I wouldn't mind seeing some other options if they're out there.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:50 PM   #29
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
IIRC Garrett Wang just showed up one year at the Calgary Expo (2012?), year of The Next Generation reunion. He set up his own table signing autographs. Eventually the organizers recognized this and made him part of the expo officially, that year and many years since, but what a sad little start.
Wait, what? Really?

He just showed up and sat there? Did he take money for his autograph? How is that even legal?

That blows me away. That is just so....sad. And strange.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:53 PM   #30
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I've never been to one of these. Is there a significant board game component? Mostly I'm wondering if there would be people selling board game tables. I've found one guy who apparently makes them custom here in town but I wouldn't mind seeing some other options if they're out there.
Although I've never specifically looked for board game tables, I'd say the answer is yes. There is a significant board game component and I'd be surprised if there weren't at least a few booths selling custom tables.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #31
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Don't recall any board game tables, but I wasn't really looking. The last couple years down in the Big 4 there is a section with a number of tables and a wall of board games that you can play. A great way of trying random games. Last year we got to try a demo of Santorini, which was pretty fun.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:33 PM   #32
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Usually the secondary actors in Star Trek series have a serious career slide after the show ends. They go to occassional guest spots on TV series to D list movies that show up in the Walmart Bin. Then they slide right into fan made Star Trek Movies. Then for some they vanish completely, others continue to struggle along making money at Comic Expos and other events.

Its actually really kind of sad. I'm betting a lot of these people said to themselves "I'm on a Star Trek series that's going to go 7 years and I'm going to get paid, and people will hire me forever"

Really Star Trek TV series are really career killers.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:51 PM   #33
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Wait, what? Really?

He just showed up and sat there? Did he take money for his autograph? How is that even legal?

That blows me away. That is just so....sad. And strange.
He came by himself and paid for his own table as a vendor like everyone else in the shopping area. He wasn't in the autograph area. He wasn't officially noted as a guest. Just another joe trying to make a living and even then people were walking by his table like he was invisible. He was selling his own pictures and autographs. It was sad to see but always a funny story to tell about a Star Trek actor down on his luck. All the other cast members were paid a big sum to show up, were catered to, had assistants, drivers, and hotel rooms. Ensign Kim bought his own plane ticket and hotel room and just showed up by himself to hock photos.

IIRC, they realized he was there and got him to be an emcee at part of the TNG event.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 03-08-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 01:55 PM   #34
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember the forlorn faces in the wrestler's table area. Honky Tonk Man, Ted DiBiase, Virgil..... no one at their tables. TNG cast had line ups around the block.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:16 PM   #35
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

A world where no one came to see 'The Honky Tonk Man' (<-seriously??) is a world not worth living in.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 02:25 PM   #36
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, you line up to see the popular acts and you stand in line for 2 hours, they scrawl their autograph and if you're lucky let you take a picture without charging you extra. Then you're pushed along.

Meanwhile if you go to the lesser celebs you walk up, they're bored, they'll actually hold a conversation with you and your kid that's more then "Hows it going buddy, there you go next"

Honky Tonk Man is actually pretty amazing to talk to because at these events he pretty much lives his gimmick.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:40 PM   #37
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I was going to say, sounds like it would be cheaper to go bar hop around downtown that night and hope to bump into one of them. Cheaper and with the illusion of it being organic. Might even get a chance to chat with them.

Better than standing in line and paying $130 to get a picture with crappy Bourne.

Last edited by polak; 03-08-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:41 PM   #38
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait...'The Honky Tonk Man' is a real thing?

Old 03-08-2017, 02:43 PM   #39
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

He's cool he's cocky he's bad

Old 03-08-2017, 02:43 PM   #40
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

habernac is offline   Reply With Quote